Sign in to follow this  
mephistopheles

Smith for Sylvania

Hi there!

Continuing my work to build my Hamlet "Sylvania". This will be the Blacksmith. 

Some Woodward lore for you guys: the green dragon shield as I used it on my other buildings represent that they directly belong to Lord Mephistopheles. Any infrastructure buildings, like Warehouses, Taverns, Stables, Bridges, Harbours, etc belong to the Lord directly. However Woodward has several guilds, which are sort of autonomous. The Smithing Guild is one of these. Their heraldic is the Bull shield you can see here, representing the strength they have in their arms. 

This Blacksmith is run by the brothers Wilbur and Walbur Smith. It is common that family names = the occupation you have in Woodward. You can see Wilbur's (the younger brother) family here as well: young William and his wife Isabelle cleaning the porch. On the balcony you can see Walbur's daughter Jesse. Walbur's wife unfortunately passed away, while Walbur's two sons Siegfried and Johannes are serving in the army currently. 

32609203150_c69cab1aeb.jpgIMG_3108 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

32990714015_f0e4a2ef1e.jpgIMG_3120 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

32990714265_1d61b6b468.jpgIMG_3114 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

32609202950_34be86f4db.jpgIMG_3117 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

Really cool build, all the dark colours work very nice together, and for one reason I love the backside :wub:

The piece of lore is also quite nice, and (as far as I can judge) historically accurate.

Excellent addition to your hamlet :thumbup: The dark brown and dark bley color combo is fantastic, and the balance of wood and stone is superb as well.
One of my favorite parts would have to be the roof, simple though it may be, it really works well here. :wub: Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with for your hamlet! :classic:

I like all of those browns together, along with the black and dark grey. They make the shop look suitably sooty and grimy. It has a very Mitgardian feel as well, particularly with the eaves and gables. My one bit of critique is that the stonework is too regular, especially on the chimney, but elsewhere, too. An over-reliance on the textured bricks creates a boring wall, in my opinion. Otherwise it is a great build!

Lovely build! The colours works really well togheter! 

Great to have you back here! 

Quaint smithy you've got there! I really like the architecture used in it. 

The combo of dark bley with dark brown is both unique, and good looking :thumbup: Lovely and well equipped smithing area, and that balcony is a great touch :wub:

Beautiful smithy, mephistopheles!

I really like the combination of dark brown and dark bley for a smithy!  The roof looks great with the dark brown slope brick shakes.  The ends are nicely completed with the black edge and the bull horns on top.  Nice little balcony!

As an amateur blacksmith, I have a few suggestions.  The forge shaping looks great, though it might be a bit deep.  Blacksmiths usually want the coal to be piled on a flatter, waist-height surface to make it easier to bury the metal under the coal and keep an eye on it and to avoid needing to bend over very often.  If you look up images of blacksmith forges, I believe you will see what I mean.  It also might be better to add a little bit more working space near the forge.  Clearance is needed when working with hot metal, especially for any larger pieces.  Do keep the anvils near the forge, though, as heat is lost quickly when moving from the forge to the anvil if the distance is too great.  The inclusion of metal stock and barrels, along with a quenching tub, are important for a smithy.  I would also recommend adding tool racks for tongs, hammers, files, etc. as different tools are used for different tasks and it is good to keep the tools near the working area (including different types and sizes of hammers).

I agree with Henjin on the use of the masonry bricks.  I would recommend using more SNOT tiles to break up the regularity, especially on the chimney (though it is somewhat difficult on a 2x2 chimney to achieve).

Thanks Slegengr for the detailed feedback. It was very usefull! I will keep these in mind and do some adjustments later on once I finished my other building for my diorama.

really cool build and nice piece of lore behind it. can't wait to see more of your settlement!

A solid addition to the hamlets of Avalonia! As others have stated, the color choices for the building are fun. :thumbup:

You can't go wrong with dark brown! :grin:  Another very nice building here, Meph, the subdued color-scheme works very well, and the blacksmiths at work and other minifigs liven it up neatly :thumbup:  Awesome gables and use of those slopes on the lower windows too!

Not sure how I missed this the first time around, but it's great!  I like the dark pallette for it.  The roof is great, and the texture with all the brick pattern 1x2 bricks is awesome.  Really well done!

The color scheme is really good and while the chimney is a bit regular the rest of the build shows an excellent and well maintained property.