Sign in to follow this  
Leonardo da Bricki

Book II - Challenge V - Cat. A: The Traveler's Tale - Alliance

Angmeroth, son of Agmenth, the ruler of the Reneshkit Clan, having been sent out by his father to scout for a well, came across a wandering tradesman. Although he fumbled a bit in speaking the trader's tongue, he learned much from the traveler. That the nearest well was about one-and-a-half miles to the southwest. That there had been multiple civil wars happening across the continent. That a beast named Ravaage was gaining power, and that this Ravaage was not a myth. And that the true king had come at last to claim his right to the throne of Historica. Hurriedly, Angmeroth bid farewell to trader, with a warning of bandits who had been seen to the east, for his father must hear of the king's coming immediately. But in the desert, water came first. Always.

He continued his journey to the well at a jog. Having filled his waterskin, Angmeroth mentally marked the well's location, walked a little ways away, and began muttering an incantation.

"Hamresh selth abol, goltheb nar regolin esh. Al nukele'a amreth. NEROL TA'ULSH SETHE'REK'NISH!"

In front of Angmeroth, the sand began to shift. A depression formed, sand slowly sliding downwards, as if in an hourglass of immense proportions. A dark hole formed in the pale sands. Angmeroth closed his eyes, took a breath, and jumped. While in midair, an obsidian beast launched itself upwards from the depths of the earth, and Angmeroth landed astride it. Known as the Arthre'gonresh Ta'ulth to the nomadic Reneshkit, these beasts are not known to others, but in the common tongue, they would be called the Run'eshmi Ancients... And with a beating of wings, Angmeroth rushed across the dunes, urging his mount to go ever faster...

32825043422_741c95a7bb_c.jpgIMG_0148

This is my first ever build for Historica, so be as harsh with your C&C as you can/want. :devil: If allowed, I would like this to be the introduction for my character, Angmeroth the Beast-Rider, son of Agmenth the Elder, of the Reneshkit Clan, loyal to the Guild of Kaliphlin. If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them.

Second to lastly, to the judges: The base is 10x14=140 studs square. So if the beast's head constitutes too much over hang, tell me, and I'll change the model. However, be warned, I am just about out of dark tan parts... and time. :grin:

Lastly, thanks for looking! I won't ask you to vote for me, because by entering, I am asking for votes. :wink:

Very lastly, who doesn't love more photos? :laugh: Bonus pics:

Spoiler

1. My character: Angmeroth the Beast-Rider, Son of Agmenth the Elder, of the Reneshkit Clan, who are loyal to the Guild of Kaliphlin. (+3 bonus: Really Impressive Title)

32598467750_8b36e1ae25_c.jpgIMG_0151

2. The Run'eshmi Ancient. This was my first time building such a creature, I think it turned out well. Any naysayers? Speak up and leave a comment! :tongue: Front view...

32165022543_a636a5edb7_c.jpgIMG_0152

...Side view...

32165015073_d1dcc7598c_c.jpgIMG_0154

...And backside. :wink: (I am sorry, and I do apologize...I love puns!)

32825102242_abcd533562_c.jpgIMG_0153

3. The base. Just curious, do you guys prefer the border on the base to be below (as shown), level with, or above the ground in a model?

32938574406_5d094a1253_c.jpgIMG_0155

4. Seriously, truly lastly this time: A few more photos of the complete model.

32979737955_a55e2e2a8d_c.jpgIMG_0149

32598485410_4790d27807_c.jpgIMG_0150

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki

An official welcome, then. Nice build and character introduction! The beast is very interesting, a clever use of spindly-looking parts to make a solid whole. I have to say that I am not a huge fan of the mixing of the two types of bat-wings there, though, as it looks a bit off. The base is a nice addition, as the hole is well done. 

In answer to one of your questions, most builds I have seen around here seem to prefer the border to end a bit below the ground level (and I prefer it, too), though there is certainly no requirement that it be so, and there are many builds with the border being higher than the surroundings and countless border-less builds, too. 

As a side note: the guild's name is Kaliphlin, not Kaliphan. 

14 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I have to say that I am not a huge fan of the mixing of the two types of bat-wings there, though, as it looks a bit off. The base is a nice addition, as the hole is well done. 

In answer to one of your questions, most builds I have seen around here seem to prefer the border to end a bit below the ground level (and I prefer it, too), though there is certainly no requirement that it be so, and there are many builds with the border being higher than the surroundings and countless border-less builds, too. 

As a side note: the guild's name is Kaliphlin, not Kaliphan. 

First, I have one pair of each,and as this was a last-minute build, no time to order another pair. :grin: Second, thanks! I worked hard on the base. Third, name has been corrected!

Welcome to the guilds, and more importantly, Kaliphlin! :excited:

Excellent first build, the hole in the ground is executed very nicely :thumbup: As Henjin said, the use of parts on the beast is superb, and overall it comes together quite well, though from the profile view it does end up looking a bit spindly. The decoration on the base is great too :classic:

welcome, Angmeroth the Beast-Rider! I have to say that you're beast is quite terrifying, great job :thumbup:

16 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Welcome to the guilds, and more importantly, Kaliphlin! :excited:

Excellent first build, the hole in the ground is executed very nicely :thumbup: As Henjin said, the use of parts on the beast is superb, and overall it comes together quite well, though from the profile view it does end up looking a bit spindly. The decoration on the base is great too :classic:

Thank you! I look forward to serving the greatest Guild. :tongue: I agree, the beast is rather spindly in profile, I tried several ways to fix that, but this was the best design overall.

9 hours ago, TitusV said:

welcome, Angmeroth the Beast-Rider! I have to say that you're beast is quite terrifying, great job :thumbup:

Thanks! It took a lot of work, never tried this sort of build before.

That's an awesome monster! It really looks like it's coming out of the ground/portal.

2 hours ago, de Gothia said:

Great start! The beast looks very organic so well done! :)

Thanks! If anyone wants, I can make instructions.

1 hour ago, Windusky said:

That's an awesome monster! It really looks like it's coming out of the ground/portal.

Thank you! I tried hard to make the hole look sunken and like a portal. Used every angled dark tan piece I own!

Welcome to the guilds! You're off to a great start with this fearsome mount :thumbup: I really like the effect you gave, of it erupting from the ground.

A full neutral background for the build would help your presentation :classic:

Great monster.  I like the design of the creature and your character is nicely done.  I also like the way you have the creature coming out of the ground.

2 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Welcome to the guilds! You're off to a great start with this fearsome mount :thumbup: I really like the effect you gave, of it erupting from the ground.

A full neutral background for the build would help your presentation :classic:

Thanks, your input means a lot! I know I need to invest in a real light box, but I don't have the money at the moment. But my birthday will be coming up...

2 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Great monster.  I like the design of the creature and your character is nicely done.  I also like the way you have the creature coming out of the ground.

Thank you!

That's one hell of a beast! Weird, terrifying! The "hourglass sand shift" effect you have captured quite well, looks nice! :thumbup:

Also, welcome to the Guilds! :classic:

11 hours ago, Exetrius said:

That's one hell of a beast! Weird, terrifying! The "hourglass sand shift" effect you have captured quite well, looks nice! :thumbup:

Also, welcome to the Guilds! :classic:

Thanks a lot! Glad to start my journey in GoH.

Fantastic dragon/bug beast!  I'm not sold on the droid arms sticking out, but everything else is great. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, mrcp6d said:

Fantastic dragon/bug beast!  I'm not sold on the droid arms sticking out, but everything else is great. :thumbup:

Thanks! They are supposed to be more arms/legs, other parts just looked to bulky or were too out-of-scale.