Sign in to follow this  

Previously:

New Arrivals and Old Rivalries

Lavalette Bakery

The Beginning of the End

I decided that I've neglected the dear captain long enough and I also wanted to try to build a RNTC building in the style of Kolonialbeamter's homes in Lavalette. Didn't quite turn out how I was hoping, but it was fun to build and I enjoyed creating the street paving scene in front (just a little something to show the young town under construction). Comments and criticism are most welcome.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I've told you, sir, our orders are to allow no one in without the Major's permission" replied the private for what seemed like the hundredth time.

32597245940_35398e4e11_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"And do you understand that I have a ship that needs refitting and I have no intention of wasting my afternoon because some mercenary refused to let me carry out my duties!" roared Captain Anthony Genaro. "And if you don't step aside this instant," but before Anthony could finish, the door swung inwards. After a brief pause, two RNTC soldiers exited through the door, closely followed by an officer who, despite his seemingly confident posture, was constantly eyeing everyone with a suspicious look and glancing into the shadows as if expecting something. The RNTC soldiers quickly passed through the street-pavers as Anthony, still fuming from his exchange with the sentry, entered the Hall of Science, his lieutenant following behind him.

32597265090_47699e6b88_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Upon entering, Anthony looked around, hoping to see a sign that could point him in the right direction when his lieutenant politely coughed. "First door on the left, sir."

"Yes, yes, of course, thank you, Jean,' replied Anthony. "I fear I'm still heated from that exchange and my wits haven't quite returned," continued Anthony as he knocked on the door. A muffled voice replied, asking for a few moments which Anthony and Jean spent in the hallway, Genaro examining a globe while Jean seemingly stared into the abyss.

32937435906_bce7ef4957_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"Lieutenant? Lieutenant Anthony Genaro?" cried a voice from the door. "Why of course it's you!" Turning, Anthony's face lit up when he saw who it was.

"Seamus Byron" Anthony exclaimed, butchering the pronunciation of the Corrish name. "Why, my friend, what ever are you doing here?" After a quick kiss on both cheeks, one of the Oleander customs that Seamus still found uncomfortable after many years, Genaro continued. "But I must correct you, it's Captain Genaro now. Has been ever since the year thirteen. Allow me to introduce my lieutenant, Jean Gascon," and, allowing a brief how do you do (fortunately for Seamus, no kissing this time), Genaro turned to Jean and said "Seamus here was once the finest schoolmaster in the fleet. Oh, yes, I remember the way he taught those mids back on Le Royale. Practically had them reciting sines and cosines for months on end."

"Yes, but I warrant not one of those young gentlemen will ever have trouble navigating by the sun and stars," replied Seamus giving the Captain a friendly smile. "Come in, come in," he said guiding the pair into his office, a large room with shelves and tables filled with every conceivable rock and mineral you might find on the western half of Stephanique.

32823884652_212f2b5c6e_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"I see you've given up the sea life" said Anthony as he looked at a pile of maps and geological charts strewn about "and apparently your sense of order and cleanliness."

"You must excuse the mess," said Seamus. "I'm sure you saw the company's major on your way in. He just came in here demanding that I tell him if some flower is native to the island. As if I'd know, being a geologist in my youth" Seamus said to Jean. "I told him the botanists were examining the plantations and that he'd have better luck there, but he demanded that we go though every book and map as if Von Miller made reference to flora in Essential Minerals. I tell you, that man must be mad." Seamus briefly paused to put shuffle some papers before turning back to Anthony. "But you must forgive me, here I've been monopolizing the conversation and with nothing to offer to drink!" apologized Seamus.

32597191510_4e02908c70_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"Not at all, my friend, think nothing of it," Anthony replied waving off the matter. "And though I'd love to catch up with you, I fear now is not the best time. I simply stopped by to pick up the geological report and any mail for Breshaun, but now I must be off to the blacksmith to see what he can do about our rudder."

"Of course, of course, perhaps dinner then, if you're free this evening. And of course mister Gascon and your officers are all welcome" said Seamus.

"I should like nothing less, but this evening I fear I have an engagement with the governor. Perhaps tomorrow though," suggested Anthony.

"I shall hold you to it," replied Seamus, shaking Anthony and Jean's hands before seeing them to the door.

32823910062_b60aae51dd_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Additional Pictures:

Spoiler

Overview:

32937389626_0d62665a93_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

32134461374_4ab7826a4d_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Street Paver

32937401436_f2bfa7f526_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

A workman hauls barrels of sand as a foundation for the road while his partner rests.

32597234580_5df7952454_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Interior

32823916902_3c1536131e_c.jpgAn Unexpected Reunion by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Edited by Captain Genaro

Excellent story, well illustrated, but I must admit my favorite part were the hidden pictures and comments. The overall build is wonderful! Nice architectural detail above the doors and windows, and especially along the bottom of the roof. The street pavers are a nice touch! :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Excellent story, well illustrated, but I must admit my favorite part were the hidden pictures and comments. The overall build is wonderful! Nice architectural detail above the doors and windows, and especially along the bottom of the roof. The street pavers are a nice touch! :thumbup:

I like both - the official and the hidden part of the story!

I was a bit confused as to the purpose of the grey bricks at the top of the interior walls until I saw the "hidden" pictures; that cornice you built is really lovely and ties the whole exterior of the building together.  I realize you chose your shots to illustrate your story, but I didn't get a sense of how good the MOC was until I saw the overview.  The off-stage vignette of paving the street is also something original and well executed. 

This was a bit of a hidden gem for me. I'm glad I took the time to do more than scan the post, because it was well worth admiring.

Great story and even nicer moc! I particularly liked the road being paved, the office room, the stairs just outside the building ( they seem so right in scale) and the roof with the decoration right below. Oh, and Kwatchi was right on the photo selection though. You have to admire it in its entirety!

I love how it show the development of Lavalette!

Great story and amazing pictures :)

This is another fine entry to your story. The building is very nicely detailed, the colors are good, and the interior is lovely. The minifigs are a very impressive lot, and the activity inside and out is great material. The road-building and the required accessories in particular are excellent, and I'm glad you provided the bonus pics to see it all. Good work. :thumbup:

Really great build, these kind o houses with that elements look very similar to a lot of villages in France and South Germany. 

Awesome!

And a big laugh for myself... who called a guy VON MILLER? ?

For all y'all who don't know, the super bowl MVP 2013 from the Denver Broncos. 

But to stay on topic, really good story and again, awesome build, still looking at it!