Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

AoM: Mill Phase II: Holt Windmill

My phase 2 windmill, this is another build influenced by Skyrim, the windmill is based off of the typical windmills seen in game. I also tried to replicate the tundra look that is common in many regions of Skyrim. This was also my entry to the 2017 Brickstory contest, for the Early Middle Age category. The model features working windmill blades and grindstone, both simultaneously operated by a crank on the back of the windmill.

Previous story installments: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Glorfindel and Dedan visit the windmill in Holt to speak with Jarl Arfast.

Path.jpg

"Welcome, Sir Glorfindel! I'm glad you were willing to meet me here, harvest time sees me at the windmill more often than my hall."

"Greetings Jarl, it's nice to have a meeting outside for once. This is my friend, Dedan the hunter."

Cl.jpg

"Good day, hunter Dedan," replied Arfast, "I imagine you two have come with warnings of the conflict in Nocturnus? I can assure you all our warriors have been keeping a watchful eye on our borders and will continue to do so. Though our numbers are limited after the Algus war," he continued sadly.

"Yes, that conflict has weakened our forces considerably. I may have some encouraging news though, as I've recently returned from Valholl, and some of the centrally located towns and villages have agreed to send some of their own troops to help reinforce our borders. The troops will be allotted to various villages who are deemed to have special need. And the soldiers will be placed directly under the jarls and lords command."

"That is good news! Particularly during this season when our men are so busy preparing for the coming winter months. Thank you Glorfindel."

"You are most welcome, Mitgardia must stand together to survive. Now Dedan and I must be off to Firoir on a pressing matter. So good day, Jarl."

Overview-2.jpg

Le.jpg

Back-r2.jpg

Check out more pictures here.

C&C welcome :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

Great job, SK! This is lovely. The colors work well and the layout heightens the mill's significance (by putting it on a hill). The stonework style looks re-purposed from your cottage, but is maybe even better here. The upside-down barrel half at the top is a nice finishing touch, the "cherry on the top", if you will. And it is good to see your story along with the build, too. 

As somebody whom is Dutch so automatically an expert on everything windmill related :wink::tongue: I have to say this is one fantastic windmill and build.

14 minutes ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

Awesome job Isaac! The colors are great, along with that awesome stonework, and the round roof, it looks wonderful! Keep it up man! :D

Thanks man! I figured the same colorscheme as Sigurd's General Goods would fit well here, and continue the Skyrim vibe nicely.

9 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Great job, SK! This is lovely. The colors work well and the layout heightens the mill's significance (by putting it on a hill). The stonework style looks re-purposed from your cottage, but is maybe even better here. The upside-down barrel half at the top is a nice finishing touch, the "cherry on the top", if you will. And it is good to see your story along with the build, too. 

Thanks Henjin! Glad you noticed the touch of putting the windmill up on some rockwork, I figured it made sense and would look better. The stonework is the same basic technique as used on my cottage and general goods store, though a bit different implementation to achieve the rounded shape inside and out. Glad you like that barrel on top too, as I tried several different versions before arriving at that finishing touch :sweet:

3 minutes ago, Isundir said:

As somebody whom is Dutch so automatically an expert on everything windmill related :wink::tongue: I have to say this is one fantastic windmill and build.

Thanks Isundir! Glad it meets Dutch approval :laugh:

This is insanely good. The rounded stone base with the somewhat rounded building seems like it would conflict, but it works wonderful here. Beautiful.

This is an excellent windmill, nice to see it isn't static. :thumbup: The landscaping is nice, though a few more light bley rocks on the lower part might be nice, maybe to mark a pathway, just to break up the gorgeous expanse of dark tan.

Really digging the curved windmill, such a clever and neat looking design! The SNoT dark bley slopes provide such an interesting and natural-looking texture to the stone base. I too think the upside-down barrel on top of the windmill is a perfect fit.

The landscaping is par excellence, the light-bley, dark-tan, olive green color scheme looks great. The tree is fantastic too, always neat to see a new design for small trees. Lovely stuff SK!

Also, it's great to see Glorfindel out among the people. During these difficult times the people need strong leaders to see them through. The people of Mitgardia should feel lucky to have among them the presence of such a fine leader!

Edited by MassEditor

4 hours ago, Blufiji said:

This is insanely good. The rounded stone base with the somewhat rounded building seems like it would conflict, but it works wonderful here. Beautiful.

Many thanks, Blufiji :sweet:

2 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

This is an excellent windmill, nice to see it isn't static. :thumbup: The landscaping is nice, though a few more light bley rocks on the lower part might be nice, maybe to mark a pathway, just to break up the gorgeous expanse of dark tan.

Thanks! Some cobblestones on the path probably would have fit in nicely, I had mainly just let the olive green define the path, but stones would have made it stand out better.

2 hours ago, MassEditor said:

Really digging the curved windmill, such a clever and neat looking design! The SNoT dark bley slopes provide such an interesting and natural-looking texture to the stone base. I too think the upside-down barrel on top of the windmill is a perfect fit.

The landscaping is par excellence, the light-bley, dark-tan, olive green color scheme looks great. The tree is fantastic too, always neat to see a new design for small trees. Lovely stuff SK!

Also, it's great to see Glorfindel out among the people. During these difficult times the people need strong leaders to see them through. The people of Mitgardia should feel lucky to have among them the presence of such a fine leader!

Thanks ME! Full credit for the tree design goes to Joeri Ridder, who was kind enough to make a tutorial.

Glorfindel is glad to see some action again I think :laugh:

I know I recen commented on this through flickr, but I didn't really get "into" the build much. Firstly great build, the colours and shaping are fantastic, especially the base of the mill, an almost simple technique, but really works and looks worn, realistic. The landscape is very nice too, the only part I'm not too keen about is the tilted dark tan plates on the rocks, it almost seems too "gappy", but it could work. The difference between the grey landscape rocks, and the dark grey cobblestone base is nicely done as well. 

Lastly the working feature is a brilliant addition, at first I couldn't figure out why the blades would spin the opposite direction to the knob, but after noticing the bottom part spinning too, it really is a fantastic detail that could of been left out, but the inclusion really adds a lot to the build, great build! :wub:

Lovely all around SK.

But.... as an engineer I can't avoid addressing your truss designs any more! :blush:  Each layer really ought to look like this:  / \ / \ /  not like this:  / / / /  for the diagonal members.  Reason why is that the back and forth arrangements produces a very stable and stiff structure, while the consistent direction arrangement is prone to twisting and eventually compressing under vertical load.  Get some marshmallows and toothpicks and test it out.  Then, eat the marshmallows. :grin:

Rant over, I'll go back to being a LEGO fan now. :laugh:

15 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Lovely all around SK.

But.... as an engineer I can't avoid addressing your truss designs any more! :blush:  Each layer really ought to look like this:  / \ / \ /  not like this:  / / / /  for the diagonal members.  Reason why is that the back and forth arrangements produces a very stable and stiff structure, while the consistent direction arrangement is prone to twisting and eventually compressing under vertical load.  Get some marshmallows and toothpicks and test it out.  Then, eat the marshmallows. :grin:

Cool, I didn't know that. I will try to remember it for my next MOC :wink:

@soccerkid6: this is just lovely! I'm completely stunned by the colourscheme (it's quite unusual to see lbley rocks and dbley buildings, but it works fine) and the landscaping is just gorgeous :drool:  Also, I really love that windmill, the technique used for the round base is great, while the top section blows my mind :wub: 

A last remark: it seems I should go play Skyrim as well :wink: 

On 2/17/2017 at 5:40 PM, Legofin2012 said:

I know I recen commented on this through flickr, but I didn't really get "into" the build much. Firstly great build, the colours and shaping are fantastic, especially the base of the mill, an almost simple technique, but really works and looks worn, realistic. The landscape is very nice too, the only part I'm not too keen about is the tilted dark tan plates on the rocks, it almost seems too "gappy", but it could work. The difference between the grey landscape rocks, and the dark grey cobblestone base is nicely done as well. 

Lastly the working feature is a brilliant addition, at first I couldn't figure out why the blades would spin the opposite direction to the knob, but after noticing the bottom part spinning too, it really is a fantastic detail that could of been left out, but the inclusion really adds a lot to the build, great build! :wub:

Thanks Legofin! I'm glad you enjoyed the working features :classic:

22 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Lovely all around SK.

Thanks Mike! Good tip there, I wasn't aware of that. When I did diagonal trusses on this tower:

Low-3.jpg

I used that method, since it gave the illusion of an 'x' truss system. Since then I just used it as my go-to design I suppose, now that I know better, I'll fix that in future builds. I think it would have actually looked better the correct way on this windmill too :classic:

7 hours ago, TitusV said:

Cool, I didn't know that. I will try to remember it for my next MOC :wink:

@soccerkid6: this is just lovely! I'm completely stunned by the colourscheme (it's quite unusual to see lbley rocks and dbley buildings, but it works fine) and the landscaping is just gorgeous :drool:  Also, I really love that windmill, the technique used for the round base is great, while the top section blows my mind :wub: 

A last remark: it seems I should go play Skyrim as well :wink: 

Thanks Titus! It's fun to step away from standard color schemes occasionally :classic:

Wonderful windmill, the rounded wattle and daub section is superb :thumbup: Fantastic landscaping as well, the light bluish grey rocks really pop here, along with the dark red and dark orange tree.

Bravo!! I was blown away by the first pic, the slopes and the rocks blends in so great and looks so natural!

The mill itself is of course the highlight and I like the colourscheme you have on the mill and landscape!

The stone on the mill is very well done. And the mill fans themselves, amazing. 

Beautiful windmill, SK!

The rounded stonework and half-timber are well done for this windmill!  I like how you made the sails!  The domed top is nicely done with the finishing half-barrel.  What I like most about the build is the landscaping though!  The texturing is beautiful and the landscape is broken up nicely with the stone pushing through and the sparse foliage covering the ground.  The curving tree trunk works perfectly!  I wish LEGO would make grass stalks in brown again so more of us could include them in our builds as you do...

Including functionality, as usual, really sets this build at a higher level!  I did notice, though, that the sails seemed to me to be spinning the wrong way (I think the sails should normally push the beam rather than pull it?).:wink:

@mrcp6d As a fellow engineer, I also noticed the spiraling cross-beams as a structural weak point.  Maybe I should not be so particular for a world made of LEGO pieces, but I do like to see things built in a manner that coincides with real-world physics.

On 2/18/2017 at 9:03 PM, LittleJohn said:

Wonderful windmill, the rounded wattle and daub section is superb :thumbup: Fantastic landscaping as well, the light bluish grey rocks really pop here, along with the dark red and dark orange tree.

Thanks LJ!

On 2/19/2017 at 2:13 PM, de Gothia said:

Bravo!! I was blown away by the first pic, the slopes and the rocks blends in so great and looks so natural!

The mill itself is of course the highlight and I like the colourscheme you have on the mill and landscape!

Thank you, dG, I'm glad you like how the rockwork turned out :sweet:

On 2/19/2017 at 2:49 PM, dathil said:

Meets the Dutch approval from me as well, obviously :O its great once more

Thanks Dathil!

On 2/19/2017 at 3:39 PM, Windusky said:

The stone on the mill is very well done. And the mill fans themselves, amazing. 

Thank you :classic:

21 hours ago, Slegengr said:

Beautiful windmill, SK!

The rounded stonework and half-timber are well done for this windmill!  I like how you made the sails!  The domed top is nicely done with the finishing half-barrel.  What I like most about the build is the landscaping though!  The texturing is beautiful and the landscape is broken up nicely with the stone pushing through and the sparse foliage covering the ground.  The curving tree trunk works perfectly!  I wish LEGO would make grass stalks in brown again so more of us could include them in our builds as you do...

Including functionality, as usual, really sets this build at a higher level!  I did notice, though, that the sails seemed to me to be spinning the wrong way (I think the sails should normally push the beam rather than pull it?).:wink:

@mrcp6d As a fellow engineer, I also noticed the spiraling cross-beams as a structural weak point.  Maybe I should not be so particular for a world made of LEGO pieces, but I do like to see things built in a manner that coincides with real-world physics.

Thanks Slegengr! I like to try and keep things pretty real world realistic too. Good point on the rotation issue, I should reverse the fans.

21 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

Great windmill SK! The mechanics are quite impressive!

Thanks UM!