I am pleased to announce my most complicated and rewarding build, the Lykan Hypersport.

Flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskUnVDew 

It all started with framework. I had to design it so it wouldn't have any motors in the back or the front of the wheels. Most of my previous builds have been too large in those areas, so I tried create more room with this build. This is a really early version of the framework.. a lot has been changed for the final version 

Some of my main goals for this build were to create as many realistic functions possible to the real car while maintaining a cosmetically appealing bodywork.

32875497186_075291a738_b.jpgTop secret 3 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

The curves and features on this car are par to none in regards to bodywork difficulty and functions. It all began with the framework and a 4 speed manual transmission.

32543556760_8ac1b8899a_b.jpg

The rear suspension, (horizontal coil over) was beyond me as to how I could implement it with Lego.

32854263491_f48a53ff7f_b.jpgLykan Hypersport- mixed album by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

I discussed my concerns with Dugald and 5 minutes later he sends me a photo (below) of a roughed out version of the proper suspension.

32164448163_a6a5e8c2b5_b.jpgLykan Hypersport- mixed album by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

We ended up using that same suspension for the build. The 4 speed transmission and rear suspension was build with a lot of help from him. I bumped a ton of ideas his way in regards to proper proportion and it really helped speed up this build. 

32084151884_ce0053dc49_b.jpgLykan Hypersport- Red Supercar by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Once the ground work was laid out, it was time for the functions. I absolutely had to motorize the Lykan doors, to the same extent of the real car.

32795861361_656e7c486a_b.jpgTop secret 4 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

This beast has working lights, servo for steering, 2xl motors for drive, 1 m-motor for doors, 1 m-motor for rear wing, working twin turbo Flat 6 with fan. The front hood has an original latch system I designed to open the same amount as the real car. The rear engine cover was designed to have similar appearance to the real car and I found the grey flags to have the right shape and size.

32891222435_ab4988511f_b.jpgTop secret new build.... by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Everything opens like the real car :classic:

32091178364_9c8ae0ecd4_b.jpgLykan Hypersport exposed by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

32546824500_6a4a0133fa_b.jpgLykan Hypersport- Red Supercar by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

The rear wing tilts and raises.

32546824410_dec9ffdbce_b.jpgLykan Hypersport- Red Supercar by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

32135066484_4cbb1b0778_b.jpgLykan Hypersport- mixed album by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Inspiration...

32135177804_1f88baaf42_b.jpgInspiration by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Edited by Lox Lego

Great Build! I love the body work but I think the chassis could use some horizontal stabilizing. I recognize the wheel arches out of the Hennessy- interesting how you brought  that over to this model. 

Edited by Myers Lego Technic

Your builds just keep getting better and better. This beauty is epic! :wub: However, I am not completely sold on the rear lights, I feel like it could be made a little smoother under and around them. But excellent work! :thumbup: Will you be making instructions?

You certainly don't choose easy supercars to make do you!

A large improvement in the drive train and suspension compared to your prior models.  You always seem to set the bar a little higher every time you build another model.

To me, the front fender would have been better to be done using flex axles.  The front of the car looks as wide as the back which doesn't look right to me.  Although I am sure it was extremely difficult to replicate I find the back of the car messy.  The front seems off to me.  It may be the panels used vertically in the corners.

Excellent work again!

I've always wanted so see one in Lego, so when I read the topic title, I immediately clicked it, and this does not disappoint. :sweet:  I really like the doors, and the rear and engine is fantastic. 

6 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Your builds just keep getting better and better. 

I completely agree with this, and I always love your MOCs.

Hands down the best car you've made so far. But...

Some constructive criticism (at least that's my intention. I feel you are entering the big league, so I'll hold you to a higher bar then before):
While I am not a fan of the beams over flexaxles as wheelarches they sometimes do work (like on your Landrover), but in this model they definitely don't fit on the front wheel arches. The real car has only a hint of a wheel arch at the front wheels.
The bodywork looks messy to me. Different panel styles, some systembricks, beams and connectors to fill gaps in the bodywork... It doesn't flow (for lack of a better word).
The whole car looks a bit wide to me, but that may be the original car as well.
Your photo and video editing do not do your creation justice. Try using the white background you use for your video for your photos as well and post-process them not as much as you did. The video is too random for my taste, it doesn't tell a story)
The doormechanism is really cool, but it could be a bit slower. An unexpectant bypasser could get killed by those doors :tongue:

Once again, this is definitely the best car you have made so far and you are on a steep improvement curve at an incredible pace. Very well done:thumbup: and keep on honing your skills.

And congrats with the TLCB blog:wink:

Nice job! I feel like my favorite was also the back which is instantly recognizable. Plus you deserve the moc expert badge

Your Lego version looks a lot better than the real car IMO :thumbup::thumbup:! The whole appearance is more consistent, lines are flowing better than in you previous cars. Your fenders are bold and unusual, but I can´t say I dislike them – in this case they seem to add more to good proportions than your earlier attempts. I like the fact you are seeking for new challenges like implementing a  4-speed gearbox, although you surely have realized that the possible max speed suffers a lot from that alone. The “swinging” suicide doors are funny and indeed could kill some pedestrians or moms with baby strollers walking by :grin:, they should open much slower. Very creative use of these flat angled grey parts ("sails", don´t know how to call them). Not sure about the use of the cheese slopes in the back and some other system parts, which should be used very sporadically in Technic builds.

As others said: this is definitely your best creation so far! You are making good progress and gaining amazing skills very fast. Can´t wait to see your next one, but no hurry, take your time :wink:.

Wow, yet another amazing car from your hands! I also see the line of improvement, but I do think there is a lot more to gain. I agree with Paul that the floating u-joint is not very elegant. Also the 9 stud width between the seats is not very realistic. I do like the motors position though.

Terrific build.   I am actually in the camp of one who likes the idea of flex axles threaded through liftarms for the curves of the wheels arches and other places.  The back end is stupendous....... and the LBG flaps are a perfect fit.   I do agree with @Jeroen Ottens in that you are now entering a higher tier of building and therefore some time spent on learning a bit about photo and video editing would help show future models.  I think some type of filter was attempted on a lot of these pics, with a type of yellowish hue, that I think was attempted thinking that it improved the pics when in reality I don't think it did.  Lastly, I think the rear brake calipers are in the wrong position.  Not having an engineer's bone in my whole body I honestly do not know the reason why, but every car I see (even 42056) has the brake calipers on opposite sides on fron versus rear wheels. 

Hopefully that is taken with the same intent that it is meant for; in that the feedback is given to demonstrate the excellence of your builds and not because of a lack of it.......

Thanks for sharing.  Once again great build. 

Edited by nerdsforprez

7 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

Looks good..! :thumbup::thumbup:

Not a real big fan of a universal joint floating out there like this though..

I think this is temp solution used during deployment. In the video you can see steering wheel is attached differently.

Really nice model, you improved again. I love all the geometric shapes, it looks so realistic. One question though, what is a boxer v6 engine? I've heard of boxer engines, and v engines but not boxer v engines.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:19 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Your builds just keep getting better and better. This beauty is epic! :wub: However, I am not completely sold on the rear lights, I feel like it could be made a little smoother under and around them. But excellent work! :thumbup: Will you be making instructions?

Thanks Leonardo da bricki! Yes I believe I will be creating instructions.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:26 PM, technic_addict said:

You certainly don't choose easy supercars to make do you!

A large improvement in the drive train and suspension compared to your prior models.  You always seem to set the bar a little higher every time you build another model.

To me, the front fender would have been better to be done using flex axles.  The front of the car looks as wide as the back which doesn't look right to me.  Although I am sure it was extremely difficult to replicate I find the back of the car messy.  The front seems off to me.  It may be the panels used vertically in the corners.

Excellent work again!

Thanks Technic addict. I really felt like taking my own route this build in terms of new building techniques. I agree some didn't turn out as well as others, but I am proud to risk travelling in a new direction!

On 2/16/2017 at 10:28 PM, Offroadcreat1ons said:

I've always wanted so see one in Lego, so when I read the topic title, I immediately clicked it, and this does not disappoint. :sweet:  I really like the doors, and the rear and engine is fantastic. 

I completely agree with this, and I always love your MOCs.

Thanks man!

On 2/16/2017 at 10:31 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

Hands down the best car you've made so far. But...

Some constructive criticism (at least that's my intention. I feel you are entering the big league, so I'll hold you to a higher bar then before):
While I am not a fan of the beams over flexaxles as wheelarches they sometimes do work (like on your Landrover), but in this model they definitely don't fit on the front wheel arches. The real car has only a hint of a wheel arch at the front wheels.
The bodywork looks messy to me. Different panel styles, some systembricks, beams and connectors to fill gaps in the bodywork... It doesn't flow (for lack of a better word).
The whole car looks a bit wide to me, but that may be the original car as well.
Your photo and video editing do not do your creation justice. Try using the white background you use for your video for your photos as well and post-process them not as much as you did. The video is too random for my taste, it doesn't tell a story)
The doormechanism is really cool, but it could be a bit slower. An unexpectant bypasser could get killed by those doors :tongue:

Once again, this is definitely the best car you have made so far and you are on a steep improvement curve at an incredible pace. Very well done:thumbup: and keep on honing your skills.

And congrats with the TLCB blog:wink:

Hi Jeroen, all of your comments are totally valid. You really have an eye for detail! I find myself hitting road blocks, thinking of a creative solution, applying it and sticking with it cause it works. That's what happened with the doors. Once I had built them that way tho, my boys grabbed my controller and played with all the functions for hours. How could I change such a fun car?:wink:

On 2/17/2017 at 4:50 AM, brunojj1 said:

Your Lego version looks a lot better than the real car IMO :thumbup::thumbup:! The whole appearance is more consistent, lines are flowing better than in you previous cars. Your fenders are bold and unusual, but I can´t say I dislike them – in this case they seem to add more to good proportions than your earlier attempts. I like the fact you are seeking for new challenges like implementing a  4-speed gearbox, although you surely have realized that the possible max speed suffers a lot from that alone. The “swinging” suicide doors are funny and indeed could kill some pedestrians or moms with baby strollers walking by :grin:, they should open much slower. Very creative use of these flat angled grey parts ("sails", don´t know how to call them). Not sure about the use of the cheese slopes in the back and some other system parts, which should be used very sporadically in Technic builds.

As others said: this is definitely your best creation so far! You are making good progress and gaining amazing skills very fast. Can´t wait to see your next one, but no hurry, take your time :wink:.

Thanks Bruno! Means a lot coming from you. I have tried to create original lines as best as I could...

On 2/17/2017 at 5:55 AM, Didumos69 said:

Wow, yet another amazing car from your hands! I also see the line of improvement, but I do think there is a lot more to gain. I agree with Paul that the floating u-joint is not very elegant. Also the 9 stud width between the seats is not very realistic. I do like the motors position though.

Thanks! Regarding the stud width between the seats, the final version has 7 studs between, Yes, that may be wide, but it was the only way I could completely hide the transmission. With the extra option of having a transmission I had to sacrifice something to add it to the build...

On 2/17/2017 at 6:42 AM, nerdsforprez said:

Terrific build.   I am actually in the camp of one who likes the idea of flex axles threaded through liftarms for the curves of the wheels arches and other places.  The back end is stupendous....... and the LBG flaps are a perfect fit.   I do agree with @Jeroen Ottens in that you are now entering a higher tier of building and therefore some time spent on learning a bit about photo and video editing would help show future models.  I think some type of filter was attempted on a lot of these pics, with a type of yellowish hue, that I think was attempted thinking that it improved the pics when in reality I don't think it did.  Lastly, I think the rear brake calipers are in the wrong position.  Not having an engineer's bone in my whole body I honestly do not know the reason why, but every car I see (even 42056) has the brake calipers on opposite sides on fron versus rear wheels. 

Hopefully that is taken with the same intent that it is meant for; in that the feedback is given to demonstrate the excellence of your builds and not because of a lack of it.......

Thanks for sharing.  Once again great build. 

thanks for the comments, and again regarding the filtered photos, its a personal preference. I personally love the yellowish hue, and they were the more popular photos I had uploaded. The brake calipers are in the correct position in the completed version of the Lykan. I totally agree my videos could have better flow to them tho! I will work on all these things for my next build:wink:

wmotors_img_1446439775.jpg 

On 2/17/2017 at 7:12 AM, zux said:

I think this is temp solution used during deployment. In the video you can see steering wheel is attached differently.

Yes, quite different steering for the final car.

On 2/17/2017 at 5:06 PM, Nalyd997 said:

Nice work Lachlan, the view from above looks stunning! :thumbup:

Thanks all so much for your comments!! I've been driving this car all over my house since I built it. Never have I had so many functions in one build. 

32117113344_8259bac3e1_b.jpgLykan dark side by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

For those of you wondering, I have devised a 3 pin system to remove the battery from the heart of the car. See below:

32119407244_8b40dc4961_b.jpgBattery access by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

32919853226_4b522b4b2a_b.jpgLykan dark side - Look at the sinister smile of the lights... by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Edited by Lox Lego

Nice work ! :thumbup:

Only thing I personally don't like so much are all the small bricks over the flex axles to create the fenders, although it gives the car a very robust look on the backside.

On the other hand, in my opinion creating really nice looking fenders is always a challenge by only using flex axles... 

Amazing creation and you learn so fast. There are some small points that Jeroen, Brunojj and Paul have already point out, but overall a stunning build.:thumbup:

And so, the upward trend of @Lox Lego and @DugaldIC's creativity and ingenuity continues.

I'm a fan of the liftarm-through-flex-axles technique for fenders, but in this case their use at front seems to compromise the front bumper. Looking at it from on top is fine, but when you see it from a flatter angle the protruding #13-14 and #21-22 panels stand out. I think it would look better if the panel assemblies were moved back and in one stud (so the curved top edge of #13-14 panels were directly underneath the headlights), but that would by a total redesign of the front end, which otherwise looks great.

There are no such issues with the back however - that's the most beautiful rear end I've seen since I met my wife...

Edited by Jay Psi

2 hours ago, Jay Psi said:

And so, the upward trend of @Lox Lego and @DugaldIC's creativity and ingenuity continues.

I'm a fan of the liftarm-through-flex-axles technique for fenders, but in this case their use at front seems to compromise the front bumper. Looking at it from on top is fine, but when you see it from a flatter angle the protruding #13-14 and #21-22 panels stand out. I think it would look better if the panel assemblies were moved back and in one stud (so the curved top edge of #13-14 panels were directly underneath the headlights), but that would by a total redesign of the front end, which otherwise looks great.

There are no such issues with the back however - that's the most beautiful rear end I've seen since I met my wife...

That last quip just made my day... Thanks bro!! :laugh: