SirBlake

[MOD] 8 Stud Wide SC Ford GT/GT40

Wider is better! I'm really happy with how they turned out. I had to do some serious reengineering to the newer one to widen it. 

IMG_4390_zps2z1xzcpt.jpg

IMG_4391_zpscfynoxqd.jpg

IMG_4392_zpsl1wp0z4n.jpg

IMG_4394_zpsaryduoe9.jpg

IMG_4395_zpscwfol5tr.jpg

Edit: Here's the stock set for reference (thank you Brothers Brick for the photo)

31875796111_ec5a378bc7_z.jpg?resize=625,

Links to my other widened Speed Champions MODs and MOCs:

Edited by SirBlake

12 hours ago, SirBlake said:

So... nothing? Nothing at all? I'm starting to think I shouldn't bother posting this stuff. 

Sometimes a thread seems to get "lost" in the recent-posts-view, which is a pity. You just overlook it... If gotoAndLego hadnt replied, I probably would have missed it as well. I have seen this set the other day on jangbricks and was instantly impressed by the building techniques used (and the fact that they made a vintage racecar in the first place!). Now seeing your mod sets the standard even higher for minifig scale. Beautiful cars! :classic: :thumbup:

1 hour ago, gotoAndLego said:

Both look great. I like the white on the hood and front of the new one.

Thanks! That was determined by parts availability but I'm happy with the result. 

1 hour ago, Littleworlds said:

Sometimes a thread seems to get "lost" in the recent-posts-view, which is a pity. You just overlook it... If gotoAndLego hadnt replied, I probably would have missed it as well. I have seen this set the other day on jangbricks and was instantly impressed by the building techniques used (and the fact that they made a vintage racecar in the first place!). Now seeing your mod sets the standard even higher for minifig scale. Beautiful cars! :classic: :thumbup:

I get it, and there's a lot of toy fair news going on right now. I just forget that maybe not everyone is as excited about these new sets as I am.  :grin:

I wouldn't have noticed this if it weren't for the post you made.

Your mod makes it look a lot more realistic. Would you be posting instructions?

21 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I wouldn't have noticed this if it weren't for the post you made.

Your mod makes it look a lot more realistic. Would you be posting instructions?

Oh man, that would be cool, but I wouldn't even know where to start as far as making instructions. 

55 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Oh man, that would be cool, but I wouldn't even know where to start as far as making instructions. 

Well, you could start from piece one, then add piece two, and so on so forth...:laugh::laugh:

5 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

Or you just make it in LDD and post that file. 

Yeah, I don't know how to do that, and it sounds like an enormous time investment. Half the fun is figuring it out, so I suggest using my photos as inspiration and make a better version. :grin:

On 2/18/2017 at 4:43 PM, SirBlake said:

So... nothing? Nothing at all? I'm starting to think I shouldn't bother posting this stuff. 

i feel you - seems that the town forum is rather a place to discuss and hypothesize about possible sets coming out one day instead of taking interest in peoples MOCs. Those threads have like a post every hour, while many mocs seem to get lost in the stream (unless its a modular mod or giant layout;) )
well...

As for your MOCs . 8 wide is definately a way to go with these rims - the width looks great!
Just the length is somehwat troublesome imo.... If you increase the width, you'll need to increase the length by an even greater amount than the width to get the proportions more close to the real thing. On a top view this might look a lil short now?
While i find the windscreen on the Ford GT very fitting, i find the GT 2016 too narrow - i think both should have similar windscreens in 6 widish manner, considering the GT 2016 is the wider car of them both.

However, great idea! Looking forward to new additions of the product line ;-)

Edited by Ron Dayes

I agree on the windscreen, but unfortunately the Ford GT has a printed piece, and I wanted to retain it. Since it's a race car, it doesn't bother me as much, but ideally it would have a 6w windshield piece.

As far as the length, it kind of depends on the car. I did lengthen the Corvette, for example. Generally speaking, I'm ok if it's a little wider proportionally than the real thing because minifigs are similar: too wide for their height, but it works.

56 minutes ago, Ron Dayes said:

Just the length is somehwat troublesome imo.... If you increase the width, you'll need to increase the length by an even greater amount than the width to get the proportions more close to the real thing. On a top view this might look a lil short now?

I was doing some numbers a while back, and for 8 wide these are actually extremely close to correct in length. for example assuming the real Ford GT is 80 inches wide and a length around 180 (common numbers for supercars) 8 studs is 10inch per stud. making the car 18 studs long, and if my eyes are correct the above GT is (with diffuser) is in fact 18 studs long. the real challenge is the height of these cars. the GT40 looks to sit around 13 or 14 plates tall (to top of roof from ground) to match scale it needs to set at a mere 10 plates high! using the SC fenders that just isn't an option.

Well done on the GT40, I do really like the change it has gone through, the GT is magnificent too side from that 4 wide windshield, it's a shame there isn't a better part for that, I see why you used it and in fact it's the reason why I haven't been converting to 8 wides with mine. there just isn't another good option for a 6 wide windshield for these more extreme hyper car canopies.

I can't speak to the real-world accuracy, but they both look great.  I was really enjoying your updated vintage GT, but then I got to the modern pics and I think you've made a much more dramatic improvement there.  You made great use of the extra width in allowing for some better definition to the pinched shape and curves of the body, and the wider 'face' gives it a more menacing, high-performance appearance. Love them both!

22 hours ago, GallardoLU said:

I was doing some numbers a while back, and for 8 wide these are actually extremely close to correct in length. for example assuming the real Ford GT is 80 inches wide and a length around 180 (common numbers for supercars) 8 studs is 10inch per stud. making the car 18 studs long, and if my eyes are correct the above GT is (with diffuser) is in fact 18 studs long. the real challenge is the height of these cars. the GT40 looks to sit around 13 or 14 plates tall (to top of roof from ground) to match scale it needs to set at a mere 10 plates high! using the SC fenders that just isn't an option.

Well done on the GT40, I do really like the change it has gone through, the GT is magnificent too side from that 4 wide windshield, it's a shame there isn't a better part for that, I see why you used it and in fact it's the reason why I haven't been converting to 8 wides with mine. there just isn't another good option for a 6 wide windshield for these more extreme hyper car canopies.

true my bad, i miscounted the length.

Its a hard one though, it certainly is short for its width (allthough it doesnt look like it) - so everything done right! 

23 hours ago, SirBlake said:

I agree on the windscreen, but unfortunately the Ford GT has a printed piece, and I wanted to retain it. Since it's a race car, it doesn't bother me as much, but ideally it would have a 6w windshield piece.

As far as the length, it kind of depends on the car. I did lengthen the Corvette, for example. Generally speaking, I'm ok if it's a little wider proportionally than the real thing because minifigs are similar: too wide for their height, but it works.

hm yeah, we dont really have such great windshields in 6 wide - only that half circle one, but that always ends up in a roof problem since its better used on cabrios etc. The rest is pretty much straight or too big.

Indeed, i bet the figs fitting in is definately better on the 8 wides  and allows more fun features - maybe even 2 figs into the Ford GT 40? ;-)

Yeah, the centered-seating on the 6W cars drives me crazy. Most of the modded cars can fit two figs, or at least they can sit off-center so it looks like an actual 2 seat car.

On 2/24/2017 at 5:40 PM, SirBlake said:

Yeah, the centered-seating on the 6W cars drives me crazy. Most of the modded cars can fit two figs, or at least they can sit off-center so it looks like an actual 2 seat car.

have you made use of jumper plates for that issue yet? 

2 hours ago, Ron Dayes said:

have you made use of jumper plates for that issue yet? 

I have. It helps, depending on the car. 

I agree. It's just too bad that the 6 wide scale of the car just doesn't support it.

On 2/24/2017 at 10:40 AM, SirBlake said:

I agree. It's just too bad that the 6 wide scale of the car just doesn't support it.

Jealous that you have those! I can't get hold of the new Speed Champions (even in the LEGO Store!) Those are great modifications, eight wide is a nice size for car builds. 

Scale is always quite awkward with LEGO Minifigures. As they are not too scale with people, making the "real deal" sort of MOCs becomes a real challenge.