@Courbet any chance to have also an lxf or xml file to check the part list?

@Berthil I'm happy to read that the show went well despite the poor package management, if there's any recording available somewhere I'll be super happy to watch it!

Luca

Thanks! Tried to load it into bricklink ,it's around 175€ before shipping, not too bad. Maybe in a few months I'll try to build it.

Here is the link to the El Hormiguero show and the 3 GBC's Akiyuki Invisible lift, my RainBow wave and modified Marble Run.
And Eva Longoria and Maria Bravo :wink:

http://www.antena3.com/programas/el-hormiguero/secciones/ciencia-marron/la-maquina-creada-con-piezas-de-lego-mas-impresionante-del-mundo_2017040358e2b79e0cf2f2c87554eab4.html

All were damaged after flying to Madrid, the Marble Run almost destroyed. I managed to rebuild and test them but bricks were lost and I had to help the Marble Run.
The Rainbow Wave has 37 colors instead of 38, one was lost during transport as all colors (but 1) were scattered in my transport box. Here an iPhone picture as unfortunately my photo equipment was stolen in Madrid.

33494241690_b9f6875806_b.jpg

Edited by Berthil

I couldn't resist.  This was actually pretty tricky to render because I had never defined some of these rare colors in POV-Ray before.

800x450.jpg

14 hours ago, Blakbird said:

I couldn't resist.  This was actually pretty tricky to render because I had never defined some of these rare colors in POV-Ray before.

Looks excellent, thanks!

17 hours ago, Blakbird said:

Excellent as always, Blackbird, although it's strange that Light Aqua turned into Dark Red on your render (spot #30).

Do you consider building it one day? It's worth it!

5 hours ago, Courbet said:

Excellent as always, Blackbird, although it's strange that Light Aqua turned into Dark Red on your render (spot #30).

Do you consider building it one day? It's worth it!

I would love to build it, however I've already disassembled and sold 12 Akiyuki modules because I don't have space for them, so until something changes I probably won't be building any new GBCs.

I'll take a look at that color error.  Maybe I coded something wrong.

Hello all, here is some photo of rainbow wave that I reproduced thanks to the perfect record of courbet. With some modification to put it to standar akiyuki.

8107f326aa7efc866cdbc9ad5f70aa2d.jpg

7bc2b3e1e32edef25a6ddbd7c4e1b6f6.jpg

6ffa3ddc250e51be5f10a031222021d0.jpg

4 hours ago, yoyo08190 said:

Hello all, here is some photo of rainbow wave that I reproduced thanks to the perfect record of courbet. With some modification to put it to standar akiyuki.

Looks excellent, top!

Hello Berthil:

I feel a lot of GBC's problems on the airplane and in Spain, but you've had a lot of success on Antena-3.

Thank you very much, Fernando.

8 hours ago, FernandoQ said:

I feel a lot of GBC's problems on the airplane and in Spain, but you've had a lot of success on Antena-3.

Thanks! The flight back was no problem, very few damages, almost intact.

There will be a 5 page article about the Spain adventure featuring the Rainbow Wave in the next Brickjournal issue #46.

I really like this build and movie, I think from a Korean GBC fan.
It shows the improvements made by Courbet also well and nice finish box.

Haven't got any reply from Brickjournal on a publish embargo date so will be sharing the 5 page article from the El Hormiguero adventure soon.

14 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

hah! such a great read! Well Done!

ALL that work, rebuilding... preparation.... for 3minutes on TV! :)

Thanks!, Yes, all that work for 3 min. airtime. Unfortunately also camera bag stolen with a Canon 5D MII in Madrid after the show but it was worth it :)

Hi,

I've completed the build of this GBC but I'm having a lot of friction issues. At first, I built the entire GBC before testing it, only to find out the the engine can only push the gearing for a couple of spins before ending in a complete halt, apparently due to too much friction. I looked at the machine but I can't find a reason, the only notable thing is that the first axle out of the engine (well, the second actually, the first 10 stud long one) twists sooo much...

So, I decided to detach the wave completely and rebuild it, this time testing the friction at each step. Following the instruction pages, the friction surfaces at page 47, that is as soon as I mount the second set of gears. Each gear block alone has the expected friction, but as soon as I connect two together, the insane friction shows up. I checked all the links and mounted as loose as possible all the gears and the half-bushes, none of them is tight against the liftarm. But as soon as two of them are linked together, the friction surfaces.

Am I the only one facing this issue? I trying now to complete the building keeping every block separated, and I'll sync the wave only using the transmission gear, let's see how it goes.

PS: a small improvement I made, on page 63 you used axle 5 for the black gears: under friction this axle moves and especially if it goes towards the inside of the machine, it's extremely hard to go and push it back into position, so I replaced it with a axle 5 with stop, with the stop on the inner part facing the back gear. Maybe if I can remove the friction it will not be needed, but seems a better way to avoid maintenance on the internal side of the machine once built.

Luca

11 minutes ago, dellock6 said:

I've completed the build of this GBC but I'm having a lot of friction issues.

Hi Luca, this sounds like the 'force' repeaters are not 100% in sync, so the five 24 teeth gears on the side driven by the center axle. It should be possible to move them a few millimeters to left and right when finished the build, this indicates there is no stress on them and the 'groups' do not have friction between them. This when of course when the wave is also synced. The repeaters are there because the 8 teeth gears have a lot of room between the teeth and will get stuck if more than a wave is powered. You indicate you now test every part on friction while building which is very good. Please make sure the Technic plates are fully pressed and all used 10L axles are 100% straight.

Or are you trying to run the gears without the repeaters? It's not possible to move more than 15 gears without the repeaters because of the room between the 8 teeth so please don't try to do that.

I have run the Rainbow Wave for 7 days 7 hours a day during Lego World Utrecht without problems. The Rainbow Wave should run smooth without lubricant but once you have it running smooth applying some silicon or PTFE spray on the gears may help to reduce wear, but only if it also runs smooth without lubricant. Hope the above helps.

And thanks for the improvement, I've done the same after Lego World :)

Edited by Berthil

Thanks for the quick answer, I'm half-way now with the new version with the gear blocks not connected to each other, so I'm giving this option a try. I'll post some results later this week, if I have time during the week to work on it.

Small update, I was able to progress in the rebuild of the GBC, and I quickly tested the new "unlinked" version of the gear train, and seems to work good. Actually, syncing the different blocks is really easy, and it can be done while mounting the 24t gear, little shifting of the axle before inserting the gear in place and the entire train is all in sync. I recorded a small video, so far the friction is really low, I'll see later when adding the additional weight of the coloured pillars.

Yes, I know, the first two blocks are not shifted in the video, I synced them after I recorded the video while I was inspecting the sync of the entire gear train... :-)

1 hour ago, dellock6 said:

Small update, I was able to progress in the rebuild of the GBC, and I quickly tested the new "unlinked" version of the gear train, and seems to work good.

Thanks for the video, also a very good building sequence and synchronizing the groups afterwards.

Ok, I finally completed the build! As I expected, tuning the different blocks without the linking gear has been a bit of a challenge, but it's doable. I found two final issues, not sure if they are related:

- there is some notable friction between the coloured blocks, how have you solved it? Something like vaseline or some other grease would do it? I never applied any liquid to lego blocks so I want to be sure i'm using something that doesn't ruin them

- the 24t gears, probably because of the friction, tend to pull outwards, and every 3-5 minutes I have to push them back in place, otherwise they move totally out and lose the connection with the 8t gear. I'd probably try first to ease the friction between the coloured blocks, but I'm also thinking about building an over-structure to "cage" the external gears and keep them into position. After all, once running this is the back of the solution so it would not be visible. I feel strange to be the only one posting these issues, I'm such a noob...

Thanks,
Luca