Good luck, Berthil! I really love your rainbow wave GBC, it is truly beautiful and elegant, and function is fascinating!

8 minutes ago, kolbjha said:

Good luck, Berthil! I really love your rainbow wave GBC, it is truly beautiful and elegant, and function is fascinating!

Thanks!

Hello, I'm very happy to find such a nice GBC, it's really top!!

From you're photo's and this "blog" I'm going to try to build it too. So I've (only ;-)) 2 questions, than I can make my partslist. Just below the two colored bricks there is, it looks like a plate and a (sort of) round brick, or belong the parts together. I'm looking for the DesignID (ItemID) for this part. And what is the size of the 38 black axles.

With kind regards, Arthur (also supported Lego Ideas)

2 hours ago, Excal1bur said:

Hello, I'm very happy to find such a nice GBC, it's really top!!

Thanks! 

Soon an excellent building instruction will become available from the hand of an experienced GBC instruction builder, with 2 very good improvements by him.
A simplified inbox making it suitable of handling more than a handful of balls at once, and a better mounted belt drive axle.
Very pleased with it!

The round brick is like you mention, round 2x2 brick with axle hole :)  
The axles are 8L (and have to be straight)

Good luck and thanks for the support!

On 6-3-2017 at 2:47 PM, BrianGT said:

I ended up trying to replicate your design as closely as possible, with the plate setup:

https://goo.gl/photos/ck3E4EfRTWGYdNp59

Hi Brian, nice photography, I wonder was it difficult to collect all the parts, did you just do it from the pics? I also wonder, I've a lot of technic brick 1x14 is it also buildeble (is that English?), or do I need 1x16?

With kind regards, Arthur

On 6-3-2017 at 2:47 PM, BrianGT said:

I ended up trying to replicate your design as closely as possible, with the plate setup:

https://goo.gl/photos/ck3E4EfRTWGYdNp59

I see there are more pictures available now, looking good!

Possibly March 3rd the Rainbow Wave will be on Spanish television on El Hormiqeuro 3.0, I'm traveling to Madrid with 3 GBCs for that. First indication was that Vin Diesel and Charlize Theron would also be in the show but that day it's Maria Bravo and Eva Longoria (Desperate Housewives, l'Oréal). Good promotion for Lego and GBCs :)

21 hours ago, Excal1bur said:

I've a lot of technic brick 1x14 is it also buildeble (is that English?), or do I need 1x16?

1 x 14 is possible, the liftarms on the inside are most important for the continuity of 38 toothed wheels.

However, with 1 x 14 your are either short or too long when compared to 6 bricks of 1 x 16 so shorter or longer ones also need to be in.

Soon a very good building instruction well be available. 

Edited by Berthil

Flights booked, now making a box to fly with 3 fragile GBCs checked in as a 'musical instrument' to Madrid.
Excited to show them in a TV studio with live audience and millions of (Spanish speaking) viewers around the world on 3rd of April on Antena 3.

8 hours ago, Berthil said:

Flights booked, now making a box to fly with 3 fragile GBCs checked in as a 'musical instrument' to Madrid.
Excited to show them in a TV studio with live audience and millions of (Spanish speaking) viewers around the world on 3rd of April on Antena 3.

Awesome!  Do let us know how it goes...

Hi everyone,

In the following link you will find complete building instructions for Berthil's beautiful Rainbow wave GBC module:

Working with some additional pictures from Berthil, I have been able to replicate faithfully his model. Nevertheless, I have made him some suggestions to improve the build and the module itself and he agreed upon them, so here is the list of what I changed to his design:

- I designed a different and much simplified layout for the input ramp before the belt that accommodates more balls than Berthil's original design. Moreover, the original version included an agitator mechanism that necessitated some precise tuning. The agitator is no longer present in this version so building this part is easier.

- I designed a stronger mount for the belt drive axle to avoid any possible skipping at that point that would lead to desynchronisation between the belt and the wave.

- And finally I proposed some adjustments to the main structure to make it possible to easily split the model in two parts: inbox and wave. I did it mainly to provide modular easier-to-read instructions, but in the end it also improves transportation and storage of this very long (90 cm!) module.

Most of the colors used on the Rainbow Wave are still in use by Lego today but there are not enough solid colors in the current palette to fill the 38 spots. Moreover, two colors (Olive Green and Sand Blue) don't fit well with others and have been left aside, so 3 out-of-production colors have been brought in to fill the remaining spots. Anyway, picking good-looking colors to use is highly subjective, so feel free to use any color you like!

Once the build is finished, you must tune in the belt and the wave precisely. Shift the 8t gear (the one directly out of the XL motor) on its axle to disengage the 24t and adjust the belt. In the end your module should work like this:

Finally I would like to thank Berthil who has been very supportive of my work on his module from the beginning and I wish him well for his TV show, his modules really deserve the attention they get.

Laurent

1 hour ago, Courbet said:

Finally I would like to thank Berthil who has been very supportive of my work on his module from the beginning and I wish him well for his TV show, his modules really deserve the attention they get.

Thank you Laurent and thank you very much for the improvements and excellent building instruction!

Thank you for a great model of Technic! This is amazing!!!! Love it so much, will try to build my own too! Of cause the credit goes all out to you Sir Berthil!

Thanks for the instructions! :-) Really looking forward to building this. Looking forward to your next creations ...

Thanks Berthil for a wonderful GBC & Courbet for perfect instructions, pleased to report a faultless build.

OMR

Edited by OneMoreRobot

12 hours ago, OneMoreRobot said:

Thanks Berthil for a wonderful GBC & Courbet for perfect instructions, pleased to report a fuiltless build.

OMR

Do you have pictures?

i also posted this module in the akiyuki project because I thought it was by Akiyuki. But it's by Berthil who has done a great job with this module.

All 3 including Rainbow Wave on base plates and connected/pinned to each other as one block to go to Madrid and make their TV debut.
Hopefully everything stays in one piece in the plane.

33601087952_45bda1da50_b.jpg

5 minutes ago, kieran said:

Are you packing that in the cargo hold?

Yes, I have to because it is too big to take with me through security. But it will travel as 'musical instrument' so not with the automated suitcases, I guess manually. Costs 100 Euro extra but the TV show pays :)

Edited by Berthil

Very nice. One question: Where did you get the long black 3mm rigid tube for the marble run?

8 hours ago, OneMoreRobot said:

Don't forget to take some balls! :wink:

Good tip, thanks! 

7 hours ago, DrJB said:

Very nice. One question: Where did you get the long black 3mm rigid tube for the marble run?

They are 64 pieces of 32L 3mm rigid tube, the only length that was available in that quantity on Bricklink. They are connected together with 60470b which works well.

Many thanks to Berthil and Courbet for their beautiful design and superb instrucciobnes. A module that I have already done and worthy of Akiyuki.

Edited by FernandoQ
Add link to video

Many Congratulations Berthil. I hope you have enjoyed your stay in my country and treated you very well in Antena3.

Also thank you very much for the publicity of the GBC's in Spain. I have seen the program and found that the GBC's have arrived safely in Madrid.

Greetings, Fernando

10 hours ago, FernandoQ said:

Many Congratulations Berthil. I hope you have enjoyed your stay in my country and treated you very well in Antena3.

Also thank you very much for the publicity of the GBC's in Spain. I have seen the program and found that the GBC's have arrived safely in Madrid.

Greetings, Fernando

Thanks Fernando.

Actually the box came in on it's side in Madrid despite many 'Fragile - this side up' labels, also in Spanish. The Marble Run was totally destroyed, others damaged. Fortunately I was able to rebuild and test with a lot of stress in 6 hours but the Marble Run refused to run without hickups. Luckaly in the show things went well. Still enjoying Madrid but when I'm back home I make report out of the special experience :)