Ecclesiastes

Challenge: "A safe haven"- Celebrating five years of GoH!

Apologies for my absence guys! I've been busy with Legoworld(and work blabla) the last months. But that's over now, so I'll answer questions in the forthcoming days. And probably extend the deadline a bit. As I feel a lot of you could appreciate that, especially if you could combine it with the CCC.

Wohooo fantastic news to extend the deadline, I have finished builds for the 3 categories, unfortunately not able to take any pics and next week we have a Lug event.
I was wondering if I could enter both categories on the same challenge? 1 and 2 for A) :grin:

Great! I’m unpacking my collection in a couple of weeks and now I know what what is on top of my priority list :wink:

On 14-9-2017 at 8:31 AM, Maxim I said:

Thanks to MKJoshA, I saw the existence of this challenge :p I guess I still am a member of GoH, so I can participate?

Maybe I will participate (not sure yet) as this is a perfect way to explain my absence the past well erm 2 years :p

Since the beginning, I incorporated the exotic Guilds of Ximus, Atlarka & Amenor in my stories (I think those who are interested can find more information about those at the GoH wikia). So maybe this is the perfect challenge to return to those lands.

I do wonder for the CMF challenge in what way I can reuse some of the soldiers I made in the past? Or do all 18 of them need to be new?

Newer would be better as I think it would give you a better chance at winning. But do what you think is best!

On 18-10-2017 at 8:48 AM, Hammerstein NWC said:

Doesn't really help I'm afraid. Does my competition build to the MINIFig contest count? I think I have zero build which means I need to do five lol! 

On 25-10-2017 at 7:00 PM, Hammerstein NWC said:

Is cut flex tube allowed? I believe it used to come uncut in old technic sets but purist fanatics may have different ideas? I would like to use some tiny elements of it on one of my figs but again don't want to break any rules. I'm still battling to make my four mocs to qualify in the first place :classic:

Yep, five builds. So looking forward what you can come up with:wink:

On 19-10-2017 at 2:00 PM, Alfadas said:

for category B, it says 18 minifigs.. Why? Most of the official CMF series have 16, right?

Like Kai said, I just went with Lego's flow to add numbers to certain series. 

Ok, new deadline will be the 3rd of February! Why? Well, it's my birthday so super important day! And it gives people the opportunity to enter their builds for the CCC as well. It also gives us more time for the next book. Yes I know, super slow on getting there, apologies again. And around the Christmas holidays people tend to have a bit more time for building, including myself! So why even an extra month than? Time flies, so the new deadline will be there sooner than you think. It always is! Any more questions, I'll be happy the help.

1 hour ago, Ecclesiastes said:

Like Kai said, I just went with Lego's flow to add numbers to certain series. 

Ok, new deadline will be the 3rd of February! Why? Well, it's my birthday so super important day! And it gives people the opportunity to enter their builds for the CCC as well. It also gives us more time for the next book. Yes I know, super slow on getting there, apologies again. And around the Christmas holidays people tend to have a bit more time for building, including myself! So why even an extra month than? Time flies, so the new deadline will be there sooner than you think. It always is! Any more questions, I'll be happy the help.

Okay, thanks! 18 it is! 

15 hours ago, Ecclesiastes said:

So not one week or two weeks, but three months! That ought to give me adequate time to take decent pictures of my creations, I suppose. Or do some retakes, too. 

Great !

I have a ship and 18 figs ready ! I will redo some little things on the ship and take time to have decent pics of the figs now ! No rush !

Great news !

Thanks Ecc !

Great news on the extension! I have builds to photo sorting them out tonight but one is a bit shabby so glad I have time to go back and do some more work on that! 

That is good news, was rushing yesterday on my builds. A few more days (:grin:) is always welcome.

I'm quite new to GoH (joined Avalonia 6 days ago, although I've been lurking for a while), so I just found out exactly what this challenge is.

I have a couple questions:

1. This might have already been answered, but I wasn't able to find the answer anywhere. Can you only submit one entry per category?

2. I am working on a ship right now, but I already made a ship in the post where I introduced my sigfig. If the answer to the previous question is no, can I submit that as an entry as well?

3. If I enter that ship in the contest, I guess it won't count as a freebuild anymore? I have only two free builds so far including that one.

If the answer to the first question is yes, the next two questions are automatically answered :tongue: 

4. If my 10 year old brother builds something and I post it (credit to him of course) will it count as a freebuild? No, I'm not going to force him to pump out 3 more builds for me :laugh:, but he just finished a MOC that is quite good, and I was going to share it anyways, since I don't think he is old enough to be an Avalonian yet.

Thanks!

Edited by KevinyWu

Welcome to GoH mate :)

I think the hardest part for you is the ''5 freebuilds'' requirement in order to join, and I think challenge's entries arent freebuilds, but Ecc should give you the final answer.

Whatever happens, brick it ON :)

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Welcome to GoH mate :)

I think the hardest part for you is the ''5 freebuilds'' requirement in order to join, and I think challenge's entries arent freebuilds, but Ecc should give you the final answer.

Whatever happens, brick it ON :)

Aren't freebuilds classified as "builds not entered in any contest"? So it's defenition would kinda prevent it from being an entry in the challege, I fear...

Looking forwards to your other entries whatsoever (and quite curious to your brother's, too. Good things he's going to be an Avalonian as well :wink:)!

Edited by TitusV

I saw this question in the thread, but don't think it was answered:

Are we allowed to make our own sails? I always assumed so, because the rules just say no 3rd party (although I've seen some custom minifig items for Cat. B) but does making a sail out of paper count? Just asking because all I need to do at this point is put sails and rigging, and I planned my ship so that I would have to make my own sails to fit the mast.

Asking this sorta late because seeing everyone else's entries so far, all of them have official sails...

Still need to grind out that 5th freebuild, too! I guess schoolwork is being placed on the back burner this week!

Yes you can do custom sails out of paper too mate (I am 99% sure its allowed)

18 hours ago, KevinyWu said:

I saw this question in the thread, but don't think it was answered:

Are we allowed to make our own sails? I always assumed so, because the rules just say no 3rd party (although I've seen some custom minifig items for Cat. B) but does making a sail out of paper count? Just asking because all I need to do at this point is put sails and rigging, and I planned my ship so that I would have to make my own sails to fit the mast.

Asking this sorta late because seeing everyone else's entries so far, all of them have official sails...

Still need to grind out that 5th freebuild, too! I guess schoolwork is being placed on the back burner this week!

As Gunman said, I am also 99% sure it is allowed. I think I asked the same way back at the start and didn't get an answer, but then didn't make my own just because the style of ship I wanted to make fit well with the sails I already had. If you have never had the cash on hand to drop $100 (or more) on a ship, though, you would not have any sails (unless you are willing to try to buy them on BL or something - though you may need $100 just to get some there, these days), so that would put you at a considerable (and I would argue, unfair) disadvantage in the ship-building category. Plus the only sails currently available from LEGO are on the Silent Mary, I think, and those are just tattered shreds...

I'm in the 99% sure camp. :grin:  I believe precedent is strongly on the paper/cloth sails side.