Ecclesiastes

Challenge: "A safe haven"- Celebrating five years of GoH!

Isn't that what always happens, people building a few weeks before the deadline.:wink: I know I build better/faster when deadlines appear.:grin:

Thanks to MKJoshA, I saw the existence of this challenge :p I guess I still am a member of GoH, so I can participate?

Maybe I will participate (not sure yet) as this is a perfect way to explain my absence the past well erm 2 years :p

Since the beginning, I incorporated the exotic Guilds of Ximus, Atlarka & Amenor in my stories (I think those who are interested can find more information about those at the GoH wikia). So maybe this is the perfect challenge to return to those lands.

I do wonder for the CMF challenge in what way I can reuse some of the soldiers I made in the past? Or do all 18 of them need to be new?

20 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Thanks to MKJoshA, I saw the existence of this challenge :p I guess I still am a member of GoH, so I can participate?

Maybe I will participate (not sure yet) as this is a perfect way to explain my absence the past well erm 2 years :p

Since the beginning, I incorporated the exotic Guilds of Ximus, Atlarka & Amenor in my stories (I think those who are interested can find more information about those at the GoH wikia). So maybe this is the perfect challenge to return to those lands.

I do wonder for the CMF challenge in what way I can reuse some of the soldiers I made in the past? Or do all 18 of them need to be new?

Glad I could help!

Hi I would like to enter the MINIFig category as I did last time. As I don't build many Mocs am I eligible? - I've created GOH figures before and the odd moc but am not sure what constitutes the minimum? I've nearly finished my 18 figs and would hate to realise I didn't qualify, 

what size do mocs have to be to be counted as reasonable (not mickey take small to qualify? I have two largish Mocs ready to go. I'm not sure if I can get five new ones done? Does anything I've done before count? Just wondering?

also can figs be partially brick built - I saw an awesome snake fig and wondered if I could build a fig sized net using MINIFig parts and some bricks?

Edited by Hammerstein NWC

On 2/14/2017 at 3:38 PM, Ecclesiastes said:

Rules.

-Entries must be submitted by the 9th of November(Very first GoH post!). Yes, that's more than plenty of time! So you'll have plenty of time to focus on other challenges as well. And more importantly, you can give it your very best!

-No clone stuff, only Lego!

-You must have build at least 5 free builds to join this challenge. Don't have 5 free builds yet? Start building!

-Questions in this topic! And entries in this one!

-We are free to change any rules when needed.

-Entries will be scored by judges!

3 hours ago, Hammerstein NWC said:

Hi I would like to enter the MINIFig category as I did last time. As I don't build many Mocs am I eligible? - I've created GOH figures before and the odd moc but am not sure what constitutes the minimum? I've nearly finished my 18 figs and would hate to realise I didn't qualify, 

what size do mocs have to be to be counted as reasonable (not mickey take small to qualify? I have two largish Mocs ready to go. I'm not sure if I can get five new ones done? Does anything I've done before count? Just wondering?

also can figs be partially brick built - I saw an awesome snake fig and wondered if I could build a fig sized net using MINIFig parts and some bricks?

The bolded part of the first bit should answer the first question, I think. I read it (though Ecc is of course the authority here) as being 5 free builds total in GoH, ever (as opposed to in the past year or two, or something more limited like that). 

6 hours ago, Hammerstein NWC said:

Doesn't really help I'm afraid. Does my competition build to the MINIFig contest count? I think I have zero build which means I need to do five lol! 

I don't think your minifigure entry from last time would count, since it says free builds and that would have been for a challenge.  Generally speaking, a free build can be any size.  I think five decent quality vigs between 8x8-20x20 would do fine, if you want to put all that extra effort into being able to get an entry in.  Why not take five of your minifigures and build them some scenes?

15 hours ago, Hammerstein NWC said:

I'm sure you can use some bricks/brick built figures provided it doesn't get much larger than what you'd see in an official TLG series.

3 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

I don't think your minifigure entry from last time would count, since it says free builds and that would have been for a challenge.  Generally speaking, a free build can be any size.  I think five decent quality vigs between 8x8-20x20 would do fine, if you want to put all that extra effort into being able to get an entry in.  Why not take five of your minifigures and build them some scenes?

I'm sure you can use some bricks/brick built figures provided it doesn't get much larger than what you'd see in an official TLG series.

Thanks for the input! I'm gonna have to pull out all the stops! Got to get them done. I've got one massive moc nearly done (late night speed build).. My 18 figs are nearly done aswell. gonna have to be three smallish and two larger. One last question - Can free builds be literally anything along as they are fantasy based for historic? Am I able to enter builds I made for Historica but haven't registered anywhere? 

Yeah, free builds can basically be anything, as long as they fit in the Historica time period/lore/theme!

1 hour ago, Hammerstein NWC said:

Am I able to enter builds I made for Historica but haven't registered anywhere? 

I'm not sure I quite understand this question... I mean, you aren't technically entering these builds  - they won't have any bearing on this contest - all you have to do is post them in their own topics and voila you've made five free builds and established your status as a GoHer. :wink:  Afterwards you can list them in the registration topic, although that's not so critical (it seems to have become rather obsolete! - the deadline was last May...).  The important part is that they're posted in this subforum.  So if you happen to have a build from a long time ago that you made for Historica but never posted before, you're welcome to post it now!

Edited by Kai NRG

49 minutes ago, Alfadas said:

for category B, it says 18 minifigs.. Why? Most of the official CMF series have 16, right?

Recently they've been having more (I'm not quite sure which series have how many, actually) so I guess Ecc decided to jump on the bandwagon!

Just now, Kai NRG said:

Recently they've been having more (I'm not quite sure which series have how many, actually) so I guess Ecc decided to jump on the bandwagon!

Most CMF series do still have 16, but the LEGO Batman Movie and LEGO Ninjago Movie series have had 20, the Disney series had 18; from an earlier comment it sounded like Ecc wanted to follow the latter format this time around. Two more figures to showcase a new culture somewhere!

5 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Just now, Henjin_Quilones said:

Most CMF series do still have 16, but the LEGO Batman Movie and LEGO Ninjago Movie series have had 20, the Disney series had 18; from an earlier comment it sounded like Ecc wanted to follow the latter format this time around. Two more figures to showcase a new culture somewhere!

Allright, thanks for the very quick replies! 18 it is then I guess. Just having a bit of a hard time thinking of figures, but I'll get there. 

One way is to think about how historica has four/five distinct guilds, there's nothing to stop you doing the same in your new land? ,I have broken up my new people into distinct regions of a new place. I guess aswell it makes sense to think of the land in more than just terms of their armies :)

On 10/19/2017 at 3:11 PM, Alfadas said:

Allright, thanks for the very quick replies! 18 it is then I guess. Just having a bit of a hard time thinking of figures, but I'll get there. 

My problem is that I have too many ideas, I have to choose :p

16 hours ago, dathil said:

My problem is that I have too many ideas, I have to choose :p

Care to share some of those ideas :grin:

On 21-10-2017 at 3:25 PM, Alfadas said:

Care to share some of those ideas :grin:

Never share all your secrets ;p yet I have created a small pantheon for one of the tribes, and im wondering whether I will include them or not :p

Is cut flex tube allowed? I believe it used to come uncut in old technic sets but purist fanatics may have different ideas? I would like to use some tiny elements of it on one of my figs but again don't want to break any rules. I'm still battling to make my four mocs to qualify in the first place :classic:

Edited by Hammerstein NWC

25 minutes ago, Hammerstein NWC said:

Is cut flex tube allowed? I believe it used to come uncut in old technic sets but purist fanatics may have different ideas? I would like to use some tiny elements of it on one of my figs but again don't want to break any rules. I'm still battling to make my four mocs to qualify in the first place :classic:

I have cut it, too, so...

But really, many of the very cool MOCs that appear here use many illegal connections and such things, so cutting flex tube, which at times has been required to be cut in official LEGO directions, is hardly controversial, in my opinion. Now, if you were cutting a brick, that would be different. 3rd party minifig accessories are allowed, too, so GoH is not PURIST-purist. I know I'll keep my torch un-lit and my pitchfork in the barn if others want to have a witch-hunt against you for cutting flex...

2 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I have cut it, too, so...

But really, many of the very cool MOCs that appear here use many illegal connections and such things, so cutting flex tube, which at times has been required to be cut in official LEGO directions, is hardly controversial, in my opinion. Now, if you were cutting a brick, that would be different. 3rd party minifig accessories are allowed, too, so GoH is not PURIST-purist. I know I'll keep my torch un-lit and my pitchfork in the barn if others want to have a witch-hunt against you for cutting flex...

I agree on the flex part, but '3d party minifig accessories are allowed, too' -> not for this challenge, right? I see a rule saying 'only lego, no clone-stuff', and after a specific question Ecc said something about no 3rd-part-stuff.

15 minutes ago, dathil said:

I agree on the flex part, but '3d party minifig accessories are allowed, too' -> not for this challenge, right? I see a rule saying 'only lego, no clone-stuff', and after a specific question Ecc said something about no 3rd-part-stuff.

True, for this challenge (at least the CMF part) Ecc has declared that 3rd-party stuff is not allowed. I was speaking more about GoH in general than the challenge. Good clarification. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones