Ecclesiastes

Challenge: "A safe haven"- Celebrating five years of GoH!

Wow! 5 more months to get building! I will definitely have to participate. 

I also missed this completely... how is this possible :O I wil gladly join for sure!

I have a few questions: Are collabs for Cat. A allowed as an entry? And if so, would another entry by one of the collab builders, in addition to the collab entry, be allowed?

On 2017-5-28 at 8:54 PM, Exetrius said:

How on earth did I miss this!? *huh* Some quick questions for:

1. Do all 18 figs need to be unique from one another? Or would it be okay to have "soldier 1, soldier 2" cases?
  2. Do all figures have to be new, as in: never published anywhere until the start of this contest? Or can we add (a few) older, published, figures as well?

To be honest, I think 18 completely unique and never-seen-before minifigs is tough to reach, so that's why I'm asking. However, I understand that the focus is to come up with something new and inspiring, and that it's definitely not an army building contest. Having said that, I would like to include some of my proudest figure creations from throughout the years (this is a celebration after all).

Two more things: I assume one entry per catagory, and no digital entries? 

1. Soldier 1 and 2 is totally fine when they have a different style!

2. You can add previously desgined minifigs, but I think voters will appreciate new ones. And like you said, it's maybe tough, but that's also the fun challenging part!:wink:

And yes one entry and digital entries are allowed.

On 2017-5-29 at 0:53 PM, narbilu said:

I just finished last month... am already starting to trial build again. 

Any idea when the fate of Historica is determined? 

Probably somewhere during summer.

On 2017-5-29 at 6:42 PM, MiloNelsiano said:

For category B, how important is the backside picture of each minifigure? Some combos I'm trying out look strange with the second face printed on the back of the head. Are we allowed to swap the heads for that picture? Or what is the judges' preference?

Oh, and is this a purist contest like the last minifig challenge (no 3rd party)?

You could use for not showing the backside if it's not worth mentioning. Are find a way to cover it up, with headgear etc. But no photoshopping faces. And yes like last time, no 3rd party stuff.

On 2017-6-6 at 1:43 AM, MKJoshA said:

Question @Ecclesiastes, can the safe haven consist of a few different MOCs or does it need to be 1 MOC?

in the second category are different mocs allowed, just like in the final Book Challenge.

On 2017-6-6 at 2:28 PM, LittleJohn said:

I have a few questions: Are collabs for Cat. A allowed as an entry? And if so, would another entry by one of the collab builders, in addition to the collab entry, be allowed?

I assume you're thinking of working together with soccerkid? For the second category you could collaborate, but it should be presented as one entry by one of you in one topic.

Of course a CMF challenge will bring me back in a big way, but I have to ask why 18 and not the traditional 16 figs? 18 feels like a weird number, did Lego change the number in their Series releases while I wasn't paying attention?

17 minutes ago, mccoyed said:

Of course a CMF challenge will bring me back in a big way, but I have to ask why 18 and not the traditional 16 figs? 18 feels like a weird number, did Lego change the number in their Series releases while I wasn't paying attention?

Lego has been changing up the number lately. Numbered series still get 16, but disney got 18 and the Batman and Ninjago series have each had 20.

Well... it's gonna be weird photographing 2 extras in what would usually be a 4x4 grouping. I was all finished with this when I double-checked here and saw the # is 18. I will add two more figs and reshoot my photos I guess!

Just a brief question.

Is it ok to make (for instance) multiple builds, which I post seperately this summer, and combine the builds to one large build to enter for Category A when I finished them all?

On 5 juli 2017 at 10:23 PM, mccoyed said:

Well... it's gonna be weird photographing 2 extras in what would usually be a 4x4 grouping. I was all finished with this when I double-checked here and saw the # is 18. I will add two more figs and reshoot my photos I guess!

18 is unusual indeed... Is this correct?

Hi,

This is an interesting Challenge !

I have a little question that came across my head when trying out some minifig combinaisons...

Can I build a mounted fig ?

I know it is not in the CMF spirit but seing we can overload the figs with lot of stuff, I thought I could have one mounted fig in my group.

Thank you @Ecclesiastes for your time and for the great job !

On 5-7-2017 at 10:00 PM, mccoyed said:

It's because the Disney series had 18 as well.:wink:

On 7-7-2017 at 10:04 PM, narbilu said:

Just a brief question.

Is it ok to make (for instance) multiple builds, which I post seperately this summer, and combine the builds to one large build to enter for Category A when I finished them all?

Yes, that's fine:thumbup:

On 9-7-2017 at 8:03 PM, Faladrin said:

Hi,

This is an interesting Challenge !

I have a little question that came across my head when trying out some minifig combinaisons...

Can I build a mounted fig ?

I know it is not in the CMF spirit but seing we can overload the figs with lot of stuff, I thought I could have one mounted fig in my group.

Thank you @Ecclesiastes for your time and for the great job !

You could build a mounted fig, but keep in mind that it should be in the CMF spirit. So a horse would be too big. But a pig could work as the appeared in the series before.

Thanks for the clarification. I went ahead and submitted my entry. Hope you like it.

6 hours ago, Ecclesiastes said:

You could build a mounted fig, but keep in mind that it should be in the CMF spirit. So a horse would be too big. But a pig could work as the appeared in the series before.

What about a centaur fig? It is about the size of a horse, but is a single fig rather than a fig with a mount. 

Thank you for the clarification.

well, I was thinking at a panther rider, so that's not possible, then. I will reuse my rider in another build, no problem !

thank you

@Ecclesiastes As regards ships, is there a certain timeframe we should limit ourselves to in terms of historical accuracy? As in, should we avoid Pirates of the Caribbean/Brethren of the Brick Seas kinds of ships in favor of more medieval and ancient styles (e.g. triremes or longboats)? I'm not too well-versed in the shipcraft of Historica, so I do not know what is typical or generally expected. 

Unless you own a dragon to ride you will need a ship. Small ones or large ones, it all depends on the journey!

So, lets say I build a dragon with some kind of Mûmakil palace on his back, its OK? XD

On 2-8-2017 at 6:42 PM, dathil said:

So, lets say I build a dragon with some kind of Mûmakil palace on his back, its OK? XD

Wow, I was thinking in sort of the same direction. I'd say if you have an outrageous idea that you can actually execute, why not just go for it! :thumbup:

On 13-7-2017 at 3:51 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

What about a centaur fig? It is about the size of a horse, but is a single fig rather than a fig with a mount. 

This is pushing the boundaries quite far:tongue: I don't see something similar appearing into a cmf!

On 21-7-2017 at 7:13 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

@Ecclesiastes As regards ships, is there a certain timeframe we should limit ourselves to in terms of historical accuracy? As in, should we avoid Pirates of the Caribbean/Brethren of the Brick Seas kinds of ships in favor of more medieval and ancient styles (e.g. triremes or longboats)? I'm not too well-versed in the shipcraft of Historica, so I do not know what is typical or generally expected. 

A  galeone or frigate would indeed be a different time frame. I like the idea of a trireme though, inspiration on!!

On 2-8-2017 at 6:42 PM, dathil said:

Would be a pretty big dragon though. But this is what GoH is about. Thinking out of the box...

1 hour ago, Ecclesiastes said:

This is pushing the boundaries quite far:tongue: I don't see something similar appearing into a cmf!

A  galeone or frigate would indeed be a different time frame. I like the idea of a trireme though, inspiration on!!

Probably no centaurs in any CMF lines, but not for lack of wishful thinking!

I did not opt for a trireme, rather something more like a caravel, with fantasy elements included in an elvish lateen-rigged craft. 

On 6-8-2017 at 4:00 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I found this while browsing LEGO ship designs, and think it might be helpful for those who lack dragons:

Henjin strikes again!:grin: believe it or not, I was coming to this topic just to ask if someone could tag that guide, because I stumbled upon it somewhere a few months ago

On 10-9-2017 at 10:23 AM, Exetrius said:

Oh no, haven't even started! :hmpf:

At least you're not the only one! :grin: