Fox Womb

Giving part 30489 "Sports Field Section" a new use as a cannon mount

Hello. I am fairly new to building Pirate MOCs -- this is the first one I'm proud of. It started with trying to find a better use for part 30489, and I wound up with a WWI-looking field artillery unit. I tried to make it as imperial looking as I could. I hope you guys like it!

hxhhDon.jpg

qKKbQVR.jpg

By turning the barrel in the back, you can rotate the cannon. Here's the mechanism.

HJfbWcR.jpg

It's very simple to build, even if you are allergic to Technic.

Criticism appreciated!

I like the rotating cannon idea. I would have never thought of that. Keep using seemingly useless pieces in great ways.

On 2017-02-14 at 6:29 AM, mikeright said:

Clever usage here! Fantastic stuff.

On 2017-02-15 at 9:25 AM, Marock said:

Very nice. I had no idea how to use this piece. Thanks for the inspiration.

On 2017-02-15 at 2:19 PM, pigs54 said:

I like the rotating cannon idea. I would have never thought of that. Keep using seemingly useless pieces in great ways.

Thanks for the praise! I've had the piece for a long time and I've always wanted to do something with it since it's a really neat piece, and I didn't want it to be hill filler forever. I plan on ordering more to see what else I can do with them!

I really like the way you used the soccer plate. Nice usage of a unique piece. I also really like that you made it so that it could be rotated by rotating the barrel - clever playability. My dislike to this design is how the cannon carriage is placed at an unnatural angle to the cannon. I would like to see it modified so that the carriage and cannon are at a more normal angle. I also can see great potential of this being placed in a scene with other cannons and soldiers. 

1 hour ago, SilentWolf said:

I really like the way you used the soccer plate. Nice usage of a unique piece. I also really like that you made it so that it could be rotated by rotating the barrel - clever playability. My dislike to this design is how the cannon carriage is placed at an unnatural angle to the cannon. I would like to see it modified so that the carriage and cannon are at a more normal angle. I also can see great potential of this being placed in a scene with other cannons and soldiers. 

I sort of agree, but I had trouble finding a hinge with enough clutch on the lower half to support the cannon when I tried to fire it. A lot of the time the cannon would just pull right off the mount. I needed it to be at least a little angled, otherwise it would have also looked odd. The hinge I used couldn't be depressed any more than it already is. When I order more parts I'll get some "4531" type hinges so they can be depressed properly.