@Gabi_BC Very nice renderings. Fascinating how a different color scheme makes the whole jet look completely different.

@efferman The wings look a LOT better now. If you improve it even more I might consider to get one of the sets. I still think that the wing don't match the overall shape of the jet though. I guess it should radically different. Maybe something like the overlay used by Sariel in his review video.

Edited by tismabrick

Here is my re-colored version of 42066. I tried to make it look like the paint job of VF-84/VFA-103, hope you like it.

IMG_7110.JPG

IMG_7103.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

Edited by falconluan

looks good

i have made a Display stand for the Jet. It should fit to the standard 42066 too -> lxf

33169493522_3d60ab0eb7_c.jpg

On 3/17/2017 at 0:32 PM, Catalinanmb said:

Here's my modded wings:

Great, now the proportion are much better! Personally I'd add a 9L liftarms between the wing panels to add the third (midle) mount point for the elevons to make them a bit stronger.

On 3/7/2017 at 3:21 AM, Gabi_BC said:

Peace was never an option

WOW!

Edited by Milan
Removed block of quoted pics

1 hour ago, efferman said:

Do You really do a full quote of a picture heavy post for a "wow" ?

:laugh::laugh::laugh: it looks that way

This one is even better worse.  

Edited by Paknaloid
Ha...

I'm busy modding this set by removing the unnessesary gears and linkages and rebuilding the functional parts so they all are as minimal as possible while also adding a motor hooked up to IR recievers.

This gives more space for:

RC drive

RC steering

RC wheels retraction

RC bomb doors

RC middle fans

RC rear jet nozzle & wing flaps pivoting.

RC fan doors.

*maybe* RC rear wing flaps (for steering).

Ill use a rechargable battery box, two IR recivers, two large transmitters and 7 pr 8 m motors.

x2 for rear wheels drive, wheel retraction.

x1 for steering

x1 for fan doors

x1 for middle fans

x1 for rear wing flaps

x1 for rear jet nozzle and wing flaps

x1 for bomb doors (bombs fall out by gravity)

So far I have a working set of rear retractble wheels which also are driven to simulate the jet thrust.

So far I made working front retractable wheels with shock absorbers and started building linear actuator based rear wheels but realized after trying to figure out how to then add drive to the rectraction mechanism that I can just have wheel drive and retraction/deployment using a single m motor (since are the smallest)

This works by having a motor shaft which drives the driveshaft for the wheels using bevel gears at 45º but the motor shaft also has a friction pin on the other end so that the entire driveshaft can not only be driven but orbited around the motors shaft. I limited this orbiting motion to 45 degrees and this is basically how the wheels retract.

The wheels would spin even when folded up but I could just live with it or put something in which the tire touches so that it cannot spin however this means adding two friction pins either end of a pin joiner and adding this to the driveshaft so that is is basically a saftey clutch however this reduces some of the torque going to the folding mechanism which means it can't properly "orbit".

Also when there is sufficiant torque, the folding mechanism is actually quite hard to knock shut because of the wheels spinning against the ground and having lots of traction, though they are a little on the fast side for a jet. If there is a saftey clutch added to the driveshaft however it is easier to accidentally or under weight, collapse the wheels.

I'm trying to shrink the motor shafts friction mechanism but this is kinda hard using the bevel gear brackets. Ill post images, vids, and digital models soon as this could be hard to visualize.

related thread:

Edited by SNIPE

I'd like to present the aesthetic MOD for the B model. The problems to me are:

- The color scheme isn't coherent. There are two random blue panels in the rear, in the middle of a black-intensive region.
- The rear turbines aren't realistic, and their color scheme is a mess too..

464.jpg

So what I did were:

- I switch the rear blue tapered panels with the black ones in front of the wings.
- I bought another 3 pairs of black panels #5 & #6 for the turbines.

The result looks much more consistent in terms of color:

36695022550_a5271778c6_b.jpg

36949936131_4e8344d495_b.jpg

Slthough the black region is a bit spoiled by the grey of the exposed mechanism, the blue and black regions are much more distinct now, and the turbines look better.

Here are my mods, influenced by the F35 Lightning. I like Effermans mods, but they are a little wide IMO

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

On 3/7/2017 at 1:19 AM, efferman said:

edit: the lxf is done

edit²:

@steph77 

for a swoosh faktor it is really big but the usability is better than on the set. The VTOL system for example can be engaged with the hand which holds the plane.

Efferman, I'm very excited about the fantastic mod you did to add full flight controls to the Air race jet!  Unfortunately the site you posted the lxf seems to be down for maintenance, any chance you have it posted somewhere else?  Thanks in advance, can't wait to try building this myself.