Sign in to follow this  
Blufiji

Valahadrian

An Elven Fortress in located deep in the Mystic Isles of Avalonia, Valahadrian was erected during the war of the elementals. It's defenses are light by human standards, but this fortress was not designed to ward off normal men and women, but the various magical embued entities of the isles which it guards. It's magical defenses are formidable, and can be sensed from miles around. 

I've wanted to do a traditional fantasy build for a while so I finally did it. Happy building and thanks for critiques and comments!

ValahadrianValahadrian

32745979281_6b968ce502_b.jpg

Edited by Blufiji

As I said on flickr this is a real stunner. It represents Avalonia so well. The usage of normal amd sand green is great and the trees are beautiful :wub:. Don't even get me started on that architecture... :grin:

Excellent work, Blufiji! This is spectacular. It makes me wish that I had the parts you do, especially the curved pieces over the windows and all of those tentacles in tan. I am in the process of imagining and designing my own Avalonian elven city, and those are architectural elements I wish I could incorporate without going out and buying a ton of them--I wish I had them already! I particularly like the round central keep, and the green lanterns are a nice touch. My one complaint is that your green foliage is a bit too regular; a dark green tree might have helped break up the monotony a bit. It still looks fantastic, though. 

Great job man! I have to admit that I'm in love with all the curves, thye make for a very elvish style. On top of that, you've managed to nail the Avalonian/fantasy feeling very well, my only remark there would be to use some other shades of green then the normal one. It's not like every one of our leaves has the same colour :wink:  but an awesome MOC altogether!

Epic build blufiji!  The round tower tops are just amazing, and splendid work with the windows and other bits of distinctly elven architecture!  The vegetation looks great too!

15 hours ago, The Maestro said:

As I said on flickr this is a real stunner. It represents Avalonia so well. The usage of normal amd sand green is great and the trees are beautiful :wub:. Don't even get me started on that architecture... :grin:

That architecture went through several tear downs and rebuilds before I got to a place I was somewhat satisfied with it. I'm glad I represented Avalonia well..Thanks!

9 hours ago, DaBliss said:

This looks amazing. Good job!

Thank you sir!

6 hours ago, mephistopheles said:

I see some very nice part usages there! Well done!

I've always wanted to find something to do with those curved brown bricks I got. Thanks!

6 hours ago, dathil said:

great part usage indeed! I love the architecture once again

Thank you Dathil!

6 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Excellent work, Blufiji! This is spectacular. It makes me wish that I had the parts you do, especially the curved pieces over the windows and all of those tentacles in tan. I am in the process of imagining and designing my own Avalonian elven city, and those are architectural elements I wish I could incorporate without going out and buying a ton of them--I wish I had them already! I particularly like the round central keep, and the green lanterns are a nice touch. My one complaint is that your green foliage is a bit too regular; a dark green tree might have helped break up the monotony a bit. It still looks fantastic, though. 

Thank you Henjin! If you go out and buy some curved elements, they are pretty cheap right now. It took a a lot of time and effort to get the architecture to a good place, and many tear downs and days of wasted building. Seeing as you are in the process of designing your own city, I hope that your work honestly blows mines out of the water as I feel that this build is still lacking..something. Maybe it was all the regular green, but even then it feels like its missing something more. 

6 hours ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

Wow! This is incredible! :D Keep it up man! :D

Will do sir! Thanks!

2 hours ago, TitusV said:

Great job man! I have to admit that I'm in love with all the curves, thye make for a very elvish style. On top of that, you've managed to nail the Avalonian/fantasy feeling very well, my only remark there would be to use some other shades of green then the normal one. It's not like every one of our leaves has the same colour :wink:  but an awesome MOC altogether!

Hey hey there is some bright green and sand green in there lol. Thanks Titus!

53 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Epic build blufiji!  The round tower tops are just amazing, and splendid work with the windows and other bits of distinctly elven architecture!  The vegetation looks great too!

Thanks Kai, the windows of this build are honestly my favorite part!

This is absolutely great.  I love the use of large horn pieces for the fence.  The landscaping is wonderful I really like your trees and the water feature.  The fortress itself is fantastic I love the colors and texturing of it all.  The three towers are very creative.  Does this have an interior?  Keep up the great builds.

.. O.O awesome shaping, totally in love with the windows on the towers :wub: oh and your foliage is just unbeatable, as I've already mentioned many times ^

as for your own comment about the lack of something, I might be miles away from what you have in mind, but I'll just throw my 2 cents in: an elven fortress to do with magic, right? could it be taller and slimmer? or the roof less flat? could the towers be rounded, maybe with a conical base? could there be some normal tan, maybe even withe or light bley? not sure if this helps at all, but hey, you helped me in the past, figured I could try and return the favour ^^

Great build, Blufiji!

The woodwork is very Elven in appearance!  I particularly like the curving log walls.  The windows and architectural details are very nice.  Dense foliage and wonderful trees are an exact representation of Avalonia!  The edge color variations (especially using sand green and green for the terrain layers) and the water technique give a perfect cutaway appearance.  That gondola is nicely done in what I picture as an Elven style!  Could we get more detailed pictures of the gondola?

Awesome! Love all the angles and details like the green lanterns at the entrance!

1 hour ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Wow, what an inspired build!

Really great!  Where did you find the inspiration for this MOC?

It gives me an Elder Scrolls vibe..

Lovely :wub: You captured the elegance of elven architecture very well with the brown curved slopes and dark tan tentacles :thumbup:
The lanterns by the path are superb, and the ground layering is excellent. The water in the corner is a nice touch too.

On 2/13/2017 at 0:43 PM, zoth33 said:

This is absolutely great.  I love the use of large horn pieces for the fence.  The landscaping is wonderful I really like your trees and the water feature.  The fortress itself is fantastic I love the colors and texturing of it all.  The three towers are very creative.  Does this have an interior?  Keep up the great builds.

Unfortunately no interior, and I thank you for all of your praise for the build sir. The horns were a last minute touch that came out well I think.

On 2/13/2017 at 3:46 PM, en_zoo said:

.. O.O awesome shaping, totally in love with the windows on the towers :wub: oh and your foliage is just unbeatable, as I've already mentioned many times ^

as for your own comment about the lack of something, I might be miles away from what you have in mind, but I'll just throw my 2 cents in: an elven fortress to do with magic, right? could it be taller and slimmer? or the roof less flat? could the towers be rounded, maybe with a conical base? could there be some normal tan, maybe even withe or light bley? not sure if this helps at all, but hey, you helped me in the past, figured I could try and return the favour ^^

I think you are on to something-taller, slimmer, more of a domed roof, and definitely some better landscaping overall. I considered making the bottoms of the towers light bley, but I felt that ended up detracting from the overall concept. i wanted to stay away from the LOTR type eleven structures and go for a more Elder Scrolls/Magic the Gathering look. Thanks En Zoo for your insight!

On 2/13/2017 at 4:15 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

This is a great build! The trees and landscaping are excellent, and those curvy walls look epic! :wub::thumbup:

Thanks Leo!

On 2/14/2017 at 8:50 AM, Slegengr said:

Great build, Blufiji!

The woodwork is very Elven in appearance!  I particularly like the curving log walls.  The windows and architectural details are very nice.  Dense foliage and wonderful trees are an exact representation of Avalonia!  The edge color variations (especially using sand green and green for the terrain layers) and the water technique give a perfect cutaway appearance.  That gondola is nicely done in what I picture as an Elven style!  Could we get more detailed pictures of the gondola?

Thanks Slegengr, I'll pm you a shot of the gondola if you'd like. As I stated above, my goal was to try have this build have an organic feel to it. The curves, the material and the color scheme was selected to give it (as close as I could) a true light fantasy feel. 

21 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Wow, what an inspired build!

Really great!  Where did you find the inspiration for this MOC?

The inspiration came from several places, but mainly the Avalonian guild landing page, the picture depicting the Elven Lands. Thanks Cap!

20 hours ago, Ecclesiastes said:

Awesome! Love all the angles and details like the green lanterns at the entrance!

It gives me an Elder Scrolls vibe..

Thanks Ecc! And there was a bit of inspiration drawn from there as well as the place I stated above. 

3 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Lovely :wub: You captured the elegance of elven architecture very well with the brown curved slopes and dark tan tentacles :thumbup:
The lanterns by the path are superb, and the ground layering is excellent. The water in the corner is a nice touch too.

Everyone loves the lanterns lol! I'm glad you enjoyed the small details of this build LJ, Thanks!

49 minutes ago, Isundir said:

It's gorgeous, I love how different and very appropriately Elven it looks.

Thank you Isundir!

Excellent and beautiful depiction of Avalonia, quite captivating! The architecture is lovely (I sense a hint of Gunman's style too) and the subdued color scheme works very well. I love the idea of a magical fortress.

Gotta say, you're landscaping skills are some of the best out there and this here proves why. Adding the layers of grass, dirt and stone is such a cool touch. The water looks so good it makes me thirsty! Living in Midland, how do you even know what water looks like??:laugh:

21 hours ago, Isundir said:

I'm very curious, how long does it take to make this kind of big detailed build?

It just depends on the scope and planning. This took about two weeks or so at about 3-5 hours a night. i spent a few days tearing it down and rebuilding so there is a loss of time there. Qar Riwa for example took about 2 months..

21 hours ago, Windusky said:

This is amazing! You captured the Elvish feel so well!

Thanks Windusky!

1 hour ago, MassEditor said:

Excellent and beautiful depiction of Avalonia, quite captivating! The architecture is lovely (I sense a hint of Gunman's style too) and the subdued color scheme works very well. I love the idea of a magical fortress.

Gotta say, you're landscaping skills are some of the best out there and this here proves why. Adding the layers of grass, dirt and stone is such a cool touch. The water looks so good it makes me thirsty! Living in Midland, how do you even know what water looks like??:laugh:

PFFFF hahaha..we know what water looks like out here. It's pretty dirty but it's still water. thanks ME! I guess I just noticed I did use a bit of Gunman's techniques in the build.

1 hour ago, mrcp6d said:

Lovely shaping here, especially the windows.

Thanks Mrc!

Very nice, definitely gives off the fantasy elvish vibe, perfect for Avalonia! The unusual shape is great, and the lush forest landscape is the perfect setting. Fantastic build all around!