Khaled Yousef

[MOC] Imperial Star Destroyer

I’ve been working on this one for quite some time, on and off since 2008, but I finally managed to finish it right in time, so it would be the first real MOC I present to celebrate the Star Wars 40th Anniversary.

My design goal was to build accurate rather than just big, so I chose the official UCS set scale (10030), big enough for all important details to fit in yet compact enough to be manageable and sturdy. It’s even swooshable to a certain extent. But I can’t build bigger than that or else things start to bend and break.

The challenge with this design was to bring all the angles and orientations together without compromise; the hull plate orientation is perpendicular to the center-line to align with the tower and the docking bay, while the edge is perpendicular to the slope to make a perfect contour line with the side greebling. The tower’s “ceiling” is tilted to the same angle as the hull slope while the levels details which represent the “floors” are perfectly horizontal as they should be.

The hull is also built around a tough chassis balanced only on one pillar to expose all bottom hull details for photography; the pillar fits in an opening right at the core of the chassis without the need for pins so it could be installed or uninstalled easily. Hull parts are fixed by Technic links for the bottom part and magnets for the top so it can be easily removed like a modular build.

I wanted to work more on the presentation but I had to upload the MOC as soon as possible to catch up with the celebration… I’ve got many more MOCs coming up, and not enough time to do everything perfectly, so I hope this simple presentation is good enough for now.

I hope you guys enjoy this one.

32423423870_44534b086b_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Star Destroyer 1 4k by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

32423423890_d4311ea824_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Star Destroyer 2 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

32423423910_dbe8375b17_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Star Destroyer 3 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

32423423940_b6dc3e1776_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Star Destroyer 4 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

32423423990_72dc262cb6_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Star Destroyer 6 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

32763554766_a820a57961_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Star Destroyer 8 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

32763554786_849f246dd8_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Star Destroyer 9 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

32763554836_1a69d89883_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Star Destroyer 10 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

32763554886_2999a87ddf_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Star Destroyer 12 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

31990139103_4c58938ec2_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Star Destroyer 16 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

:sweet:

Look´s totally awesome jaw dropping. Presentation is offcourse everything, but your pictures is still beyond what I can do. And they work ! 
Cant wait to se what else you have up your sleeve ! 

This is gorgeous ! :thumbup:

KlodsBrik.

Hello, @Khaled Yousef !

Beaut. This looks amazing, fantastic job I am mighty impressed :thumbup: . You have definitely got the 40th anniversary off to a good start, my goal is to complete my Venator, I can't wait to see the rest of your work!

Great contrast between snot and studs! I cannot believe it is has taken you 9 years to complete, but it is definitely worth it. The UCS stand is fantastic too! I like how different it is to 10030, many others MOCs are pretty much the same apart from some minor changes.

You need to build this with bricks now!

Kind regards, Ellis.

Thank you guys for the comments.

KlodsBrick: thanks a lot, I’ve got four more MOCs ready, you won’t be disappointed.

Ellisss_2: I’m glad I got you excited for the celebration, waiting to see your Venator. I really wanted it to look smooth yet LEGO like, so I combined studs and tiles evenly on purpose, thanks for noticing the effort. But do you think this is a render? It is real brick built MOC.

Haha ... I was honestly about to post that these LDD designer tool´s are beginning to cheat me and make it look sooo much like LEGO that I can´t tell the difference.

Glad to hear I wasn´t wrong on my first observations. 
Youré welcome. I always appreciate giving feedback as well as getting it myself.
One get´s what he/she gives right. :classic:

This is actually a great complement, I’m glad you guys found my photography and some photo editing to be as convincing as a render. Good high contrast lighting, high-res large sensors and sharp prime lenses give products this 3D look, download the high-res pics from my Flickr account and you'll see the LEGO logo on each stud popping up, and you'll also see the scratches and my fingerprints too... this baby is a real monster, and I’m proud of it. And it’s pretty damn expensive too.

Excellent build! I am doing something similar at the moment and I had somehow forgotten that the 10 x 10 dish existed for the bottom dome - I will get that asap!

What I find most impressive it the sturdiness of it all - such a big ship on just one leg! I would like to see Lego try to pull that off! :)

Wow! This is a beautiful Star Destroyer. The ratio of studs to tiles looks excellent, and your photography skills are great. Such a sturdy model as well... :wub:  :thumbup:

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki
Edit: spelling error

Excellent work, looks great all around!  Good photography and editing, too.

I'm particularly fascinated with what you did at the edges of the panels, where it transitions from wedge plates into tiles.  Don't suppose you'd be willing to flip one of those over and show how that connects?

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, you make the effort worthwhile.

Leonardo: thanks; I thought about reducing the studs a little but I found that they give a more detailed and gritty texture to the hull.

Mortesv: I’m a big fan of your MOCs (your Rebel Fleet… OMG), I’m glad you liked this, and can’t wait to see the one you’re working on. I wish they made 12*12 dishes; that would look even better.

Raskolnikov: I bow to you sir; your Star Destroyer is an inspiration to me. Here is a picture of the edge connection; it’s quite simple, and it can be even sturdier by using an additional plate below the black 1*4 plate. The black 1*4 plate is also the one with two studs on top not the normal one, so it would connect on both sides and not conflict with the plates’ alignment.

ChristopherLee: I was working from pictures of the ILM model, trying to get as many details squeezed into this model as possible, glad you liked it.

Star Destroyer 10-2 allignment (small) 1.jpg

Very interesting mortesv, and then maybe add a 6*6 dish on top of those four to get a clean finish. But you’re right; looking at the refrence photo, it looks like 10*10 is just the right one for this scale.

Yeah a dish on top, probably an 8 x 8. But I think the 10 x 10 is closest :)

Magnificent! I joint Raskolnikov in admiration for that rim. It is nailed. I'd only wish that the connection could be done using some more say 'official connection' rather than just 1by plates. But heck, still perfect as it is. Probably the only portion where I can see a scope for improbvement is the back side where top hull plates meet the control tower asembly. The way there is a gap beneath doesnt look as convincing as the rest of the build.

Thanks Jhaelego and krisandkris12 for your kind words.

About the edge connection, well, I couldn’t find a better way to connect plates of different alignment “officially”, but I’m sure my connection is not “illegal” also since nothing is strained or bent, and it holds very well considering the large size, I don’t know, maybe an LDD model would prove me wrong, but I’m certain it’s not. As for the gap between the top hull and tower, it’s there since the entire tower hovers over the hull and not connected to it at all to preserve the modularity and prevent any stress on the hull, the entire tower bulk only connects inside to the chassis, but you’re right, I should’ve added an additional plate underneath the tower till it touches the hull.

Damn, that was the sound of my jaw dropping... the ammount of detail, accuracy and overall awesomeness is unbelivable ! This looks spot on ! Great job !

I had to look at those photos for quite a while to be sure that this is a real life model. The lighting is so incredibly good (as is of course the model) that it almost looks unreal, like a rendering. I really like how  you created such smooth edges all over the model and the attention to detail is just stunning.

This really is a worthy way of celebrating the 40 year anniversary of Star Wars! Only thing it's missing is a tiny Tantive IV now! :D

FTG Prime: :laugh: thanks for the kind words.

Kit Bricksto: dude, thanks and all, but seriously, stop wasting your time commenting on unworthy stuff like my Star Destroyer and spend some more time working on your awesome Falcon. WE CAN’T WAIT ANYMORE!

3 hours ago, Red Royal Guard said:

Is it bad I moaned when I saw this?

:laugh:

41 minutes ago, Mamma Mia Bricks said:

How many parts is this exactly? And will you share the LDD file please?

I'm sorry I don't have an LDD file because I don't design on the computer, I'm an amateur builder who just puts a couple of bricks together an see what happens. all I know is that the ship is roughly 3.2 feet long (1 meter) and VERY heavy due to double layer plates on the hull and tough Technic frame, plus all greebling thingies and tiles, I say not less than 5000 parts.