Mantarri

[WIP] MB Arocs 42043 C Model - Heavy Duty Rotator Tow Truck

Hi, so I got the MB Arocs 42043 in January, and have been loving it!  But now I want to make a C model.

Previous attempts have failed due to my now apparent lack of skill at making well proportioned frames.  :tongue:

But now I want to try one thing, and stick to it, right now I need to figure out what machine to do as a C model. I've decided on a 4 axle (including steering) heavy duty rotator tow truck

Ideas were:

Telehandler & container & carrier ala 42009 B model

Pickup truck & trailer & some sort of machinery to go on the trailer

Mobile Crane

Tow Truck (please specify weather pick-up truck style tow truck ala 9395, or wrecker ala 420008, or rotator ala non off road version of the 2H17 tow truck)

Pics will be posted sometimes tomorrow.

Edited by XtremeBuilder
I'm ahead of where I was. :)

I'd say try to do a tow truck, like a long nose version of 42008, with a vehicle to tow. Mobile crane has been done, I don't know how you'd do it differently than M-Longer, and I like tow trucks. You could also do a pickup truck with a JLG style towable boom lift.

I've built a mobile crane and a tow truck c-model, so please rule those out cuz I want to see something new. You can find mine at these links:

The mobile crane has instructions.

8 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

I'd say try to do a tow truck, like a long nose version of 42008, with a vehicle to tow. Mobile crane has been done, I don't know how you'd do it differently than M-Longer, and I like tow trucks. You could also do a pickup truck with a JLG style towable boom lift.

4 hours ago, BrickByBrick Official said:

I've built a mobile crane and a tow truck c-model, so please rule those out cuz I want to see something new. You can find mine at these links:

The mobile crane has instructions.

I've seen those  c Model, and think they are cool, but I listed those machines anyway because they can be done so many ways.

Like this Rotator Giant, maybe even make it a European style cab

Mobile cranes are a bit un-unique though, I'll admit. :laugh:

I'm thinking right now Either Telehandler, or 4 axle rotator tow truck.

OK, I've decided on a 4 axle (1 steered, 3 on back) rotator Tow Truck, @Jim would you please change the topic title to "[WIP] 42043 MB Arocs C Model - European Style Heavy Duty Rotator" (without the quotes of course). :classic:

Edited by XtremeBuilder
Missed one bracket

I have tried to build an american style logging truck with trailer, but I have ended with mobile crane. Reason? Pneumatic hoses were too long for the crane arm :)

5 hours ago, XtremeBuilder said:

I've seen those  c Model, and think they are cool, but I listed those machines anyway because they can be done so many ways.

Like this Rotator Giant, maybe even make it a European style cab

Mobile cranes are a bit un-unique though, I'll admit. :laugh:

I'm thinking right now Either Telehandler, or 4 axle rotator tow truck.

The rotator giant would be AMAZING!

First pics!

Beware, I'm new to these new pieces, I've only touched my Mindstorms NXT 2.0 previously, so give constructive criticism. :tongue:

So I'm working on the back end & gear changer

Full Bricksafe gallery where all pics are, and future ones will go: Click here for more pics!

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x1067.jpg

Excuse the quality, these weren't taken with my real camera, they were taken from my Galaxy S3.

Few questions:

How are you going to operate the driving rings? What will be used for front outriggers? How are youg going to build the crane? Which functions will be pneumatic, and which mechanic?

3 hours ago, XtremeBuilder said:

@Jim would you please change the topic title to "[WIP] 42043 MB Arocs C Model - European Style Heavy Duty Rotator" (without the quotes of course). :classic:

You can change it yourself if you edit the first post.

Anyway, I like what you are doing with this set, but I think you should change the back. Yours is a bit flat, but I think it should be up higher like in this picture.    Image result for 4 axle rotating tow truck

Other than it, it looks good, and I'm excited to see the final product.

On 2017-02-09 at 2:42 PM, M_longer said:

Few questions:

How are you going to operate the driving rings? What will be used for front outriggers? How are youg going to build the crane? Which functions will be pneumatic, and which mechanic?

Driving ring changers will be placed vertically.

The crane arm is still gonna be awhile, as I need a finished body first

Outrigger extension is motorized, turntable slewing rotating will probably be motorized,  as for the crane arm, lifting and extension will be pneumatic.

On 2017-02-09 at 3:04 PM, Offroadcreat1ons said:

You can change it yourself if you edit the first post.

Anyway, I like what you are doing with this set, but I think you should change the back. Yours is a bit flat, but I think it should be up higher like in this picture.

Other than it, it looks good, and I'm excited to see the final product.

Thanks, didn't know that I could sit the title myself.

You are right; the back was a bit low, I've highered it a bit now.  :classic:

Edited by XtremeBuilder
technical term typo!

5 hours ago, XtremeBuilder said:

Driving ring changers will be placed vertically.

The crane arm is still gonna be awhile, as I need a finished body first

Outrigger extension is motorized, turntable slewing rotating will probably be motorized,  as for the crane arm, lifting and extension will be pneumatic.

As person who made a C model I'll give you advice - make sketeches of every module you want to build. It allows to switch rare parts (like pneumatics, 14L racks etc) between ones that need them more. Otherwise you could end with nicely shaped chassis, but, for example, without these few parts that are needed in the crane.

Edited by M_longer

6 hours ago, M_longer said:

As person who made a C model I'll give you advice - make sketeches of every module you want to build. It allows to switch rare parts (like pneumatics, 14L racks etc) between ones that need them more. Otherwise you could end with nicely shaped chassis, but, for example, without these few parts that are needed in the crane.

Thanks for the tip, I've been starting to realize that I'm going to have to plan this out a bit more thoroughly. :laugh:

The truck chassis looks good so far, the rear outriggers are pretty cool too, the whole model looks promising, by the way, for a moment i thought that the truck shown in the picture had a rail-gun cannon (wouldn't be a bad idea), it looks very nice and i imagine that it must have a lot of capacity which such crane and outriggers.

OK, I'm gonna be on a short vacation starting in 10 minutes from now, I'll be back sometime next Sunday (the 10th),and I'm not gonna be taking my 2700+ LEGO Technic set with me, so no more progress till next Sunday/Monday.

On 2017-02-11 at 4:35 AM, Kmuffin said:

See you soon. On a note I'm expecting something like this

That looks pretty cool, I'm making a rotator tow truck though. :)

As for progress.

• All motor powered functions are done (pump, winch, outriggers, & boom slewing).
  • Steering system almost done
  • back part of chassis almost finished
  • Boom almost finished

To do:

• Cabin
  • setup pnuematics

Pics will come later today

Edited by XtremeBuilder
Removed quoted picture

yes i see its a rotatator truck i was talking about the front looks to the back. btw i found some actual rotator pics but it is a slt arocs

5cd74eca0a0d8ef902de426a14200142.jpg

5b946ebaf9cfbc404c6182871bde3479.jpg

Btw are the images too big mods?

Edited by Kmuffin

26 minutes ago, Kmuffin said:

yes i see its a rotatator truck i was talking about the front looks to the back. btw i found some actual rotator pics but it is a slt arocs

Cool!

By the way, this is kinda me doing a cherry pic MOC, and I'm seeing it could very well be used as a crane just as well as a tow truck. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Kmuffin said:

5cd74eca0a0d8ef902de426a14200142.jpg

This is Omars 120T recovery unit and it is not a rotator. It does have outriggers, but not a crane that can swing to sides.

20.jpg

46 minutes ago, M_longer said:

This is Omars 120T recovery unit and it is not a rotator. It does have outriggers, but not a crane that can swing to sides.

I thought it didn't look like one, BTW that LEGO tow truck looks awesome! :)

Oops! :classic:  I don't know alot but those trucks but that one in the picture looks like a rotator because it has those outriggers and all. Plus that's an awesome looking tow truck M_Longer.

On 2017-02-17 at 11:37 PM, Kmuffin said:

Oops! :classic:  I don't know alot but those trucks but that one in the picture looks like a rotator because it has those outriggers and all. Plus that's an awesome looking tow truck M_Longer.

OK, I'm gonna give you the simple way to tell.

Regular tow truck: Outriggers point behind the tow truck to balance it.

Rotator: Outriggers go out to each side, to keep the rotator stable when the boom is, well, rotated. :classic:

Edited by XtremeBuilder

UPDATE:

OK, so turns out I'm not as good at building frames as I thought. :P

I've done a lot of work, nad I'm now nearl back at square one due to not adding a steering system early on.

Right now, I have 2 options:

1. Continue, but build a new, better chassis
  2. Make a whole new model (I'm wanting to make a tractr; something like the Class set, but smaller, with PTO & a trailer.

Thoughts?