Ckubrick2

Mini-figure storage on studs lead to crack under feet?

Hello everyone.  I have a burning question and I cant seem to find the answer.  Its regarding cracks in the mini-figs feet, or rather under their feet.  I have a Death Star 10188 where I keep the minifigs "working", so they are always on display standing attached to  the studs.  Problem is when I read somewhere that keeping mini-figs standing in studs is bad for them, so I checked mine and most of the mini-figs on my Death Star have hairline cracks under the feet, where it clamps the studs.  They are incredibly hard to see and its best seen on a white stormtrooper legs, maybe you will need a magnifying glass.  The hairline are mostly on the center of the empty square facing backwards, if you are looking at the mini-figs from below.  Its unnoticeable and the mini-figs clutch fine, but its there and I wanna know if this is normal.  Should I not store the mini-figs attached to studs anymore  Has anyone else have this problem?  Thank you.

Edited by Ckubrick2

Here is a picture just in case.  At the top of the picture, on the mini-fig feet, on the center, there is a hairline crack.  

Optimized-IMG_1098 2-2.jpg

Edited by Ckubrick2

I have hundreds of minifigures displayed on studs. Some have been displayed that way for around 20 years. Others such as She-Hulk are just a few weeks old. None of them have cracks, hairline or otherwise, in their feet.

Edited by AmperZand

Thats good to know, thank for your reply!  I checked a few of my other sets and their feet are fine.  So it seems to be localized to my Death Star, which is the set I always have on display and move the mini-figs around every couple of days as they complete their chores; perhaps i worked them too much lol!  

Edited by Ckubrick2

There's a thread here in this section, "cracks in minifigs" I believe is it's title. it's a really good read. It goes into what may be one of the root causes of cracks. I have a lot of clone troopers that have been on a baseplate for many years now. I checked some, & I have zero cracks. 

I do not place my minifigures, licensed or non-licensed, directly on the studs (i.e.: the studs do not go into the receiver hole in the bottom of the legs).  Rather, my minifigures stand directly on top of the studs.  I place them standing parallel to diagonal studs so that they balance.  Same goes for minifigures in a seated position.  I place them in a chair, but the studs on the chair do not go into the receiver hole on the back of the legs.

The reason I do this is because it has been my experience, which goes back to my childhood, that the bottom rear of the minifigure feet will crack due to the stud being inside the receiver hole of the minifigure leg.  This may be caused by repeated instances of taking the minifigure off a stud and placing it back on time and time again.

I am unsure if you place a minifigure on a stud fully so that the studs go through the receiver hole on the bottom of the legs and leave it that way indefinitely that no cracking of the bottom rear of the minifigure feet will occur, but I refrain from doing so despite the experiences of others as referenced in a few posts above.