thatrabidhobo

Looking for a technical MOC to build

As a new AFOL I want to sink my teeth into a mechanically and technically advanced set. I would love to build something like the 8880 but since I do not have any studded pieces or its special parts the cost of building that set would be very high. Is there an advanced, studless, and non-RC MOC out there that has instructions?

Edited by thatrabidhobo
details

Absolutely, Ive been pouring over that site for a few days now. The problem is I cannot tell which of those MOCs are full of ingenious wizardry or which are simply rehashing tired conventions.

For example, I have avoided buying 42056 because the elite here have criticized it as a letdown technically, especially compared to 8880. So... is there something out there from the MOC elite I can learn from?

Edited by thatrabidhobo
corrected set #

Personally I like this studless version of 8839 very much and I might build it in the near future myself, free instructions and not so many parts, designer M_longer made really excellent work with this set :thumbup:

What do you think about this set thatrapidhobo?

the last two are RC which was requested to be avoided.

But if you do want to spend up on electric parts, Sheo's RH400 model is fantastically complicated and also has free instructions.

Gergers Grove GMK6400 is also free and pretty 'technical' but is also RC.

Non RC ideas - have a look through designer Han's older stuff for non-RC machinery

Perhaps the Alfa Romeo 4C by Jeroen Ottens

Cars and support equipment by Sheepo. He has some RC and all manual versions of the same thing.

Modoca has some excellent non RC models on rebrickable with free instructions.

And for some refreshing non car like models, try the running horse kinetic sculpture from JKBrickworks.

Edited by bonox

1 hour ago, bonox said:

try Nathaniel Kuipers cars like the Predator

Yes! Thats awesome, just what I was hoping for.

39 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Yeesss! The Terex is fantastic! Even though it's RC I am glad you suggested it. I am looking forward to building that some day. The two cars look great, too. 

21 minutes ago, bonox said:

Gergers Grove GMK6400

Non RC ideas - have a look through designer Han's older stuff for non-RC machinery

Perhaps the Alfa Romeo 4C by Jeroen Ottens

Cars and support equipment by Sheepo. He has some RC and all manual versions of the same thing.

Modoca has some excellent non RC models on rebrickable with free instructions.

And for some refreshing non car like models, try the running horse kinetic sculpture from JKBrickworks.

Loving these suggestions, too, especially the kinetic sculptures.

Scroll through the Hall of Fame on this forum and you'll find lots of good ideas.  All of Crowkillers' cars have instructions and no motors, the same for Nathanael Kuipers.  Jurgen Krooshoop has an awesome manual Corvette.  I built the manual version of Sheepo's VW bus.

12 hours ago, Blakbird said:

All of Crowkillers' cars have instructions 

Are you sure?  I still haven't seen instructions for the Balisong.  Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

2 hours ago, teos said:

Are you sure?  I still haven't seen instructions for the Balisong.  Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

I didn't even know about that car!  It looks really nice.  At any rate, you will find instructions for at least half a dozen Crowkillers cars.

23 hours ago, MacKaiwer said:

Personally I like this studless version of 8839 very much and I might build it in the near future myself, free instructions and not so many parts, designer M_longer made really excellent work with this set :thumbup:

What do you think about this set thatrapidhobo?

I've built it and it is a really neat MOC.  The cost* of this model might make it prohibitive if building/ordering parts from scratch.  I did mine over several months, little by little, while getting parts for other projects.

*many pieces that run ~$2 each (avg) + red curved panels are becoming rare ($4+).  Allow about $45+ for panels alone.  I'm guessing it ended up around $100 total which is a nice chunk of money for a reasonably basic and non-motorized display model.

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted video. There is the same video few posts back.

4 hours ago, teos said:

I've been waiting for instructions for that one myself. Cool looking little car.

44 minutes ago, teos said:

I've built it and it is a really neat MOC.  The cost* of this model might make it prohibitive if building/ordering parts from scratch.  I did mine over several months, little by little, while getting parts for other projects.

*many pieces that run ~$2 each (avg) + red curved panels are becoming rare ($4+).  Allow about $45+ for panels alone.  I'm guessing it ended up around $100 total which is a nice chunk of money for a reasonably basic and non-motorized display model.

Really good argument and important point! I think I have 90-95 % of parts but they are in my other builds at this moment... I have nearly all needed panels and most of other parts but you are right, most people maybe don't have them and it could make a big hole in builders wallet...