Sign in to follow this  
nebraska

Ray's Music Exchange MOC

"I'll throw in the black keys for free"

Ray's Music Exchange in Calumet City, Illinois has the best electric piano in the city of Chicago.  It can be yours for the low price of $2000 bucks and you could take it home with you and Ray will throw in the black keys for free.  The Blues Brothers has stood the test of time as it's one of the most entertaining movies filled with great music including the late great Ray Charles.

Ray's includes a fully stocked showroom with guitars, amps, mics, tv's, and toasters.  Don't mind the bullet holes next to the guitar hanging on the wall - it breaks everyone's hearts when a boy that young goes bad.   Although some say the best piano in the city of Chicago has no action left in the keyboard; Ray disagreed and the patrons break out into a spirited rendition of the classic Shake A Tail Feather.

When I set out to build Ray's Music Exchange it had to have the mural of the great blue's legends but with a LEGO flair.  One artist that I knew possessed the skills and quality required is the incredibly talented Greg Hyland ( http://www.lethargiclad.com/).   I knew Greg from attending Brickworld in Chicago over the years and when I emailed him with my vision - he was instantly on board and he didn't disappoint.  The mural was spot on and was everything that I had hoped.

The next step was printing Greg's art onto the brick.  I didn't want to use a sticker or decal - it needed to be printed so the colors would shine.  I had long been a fan of Terry Akuna's printing on LEGO and he was also excited for the project and took extra time to get it perfect printed onto the bricks.  (https://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?p=terryakuna#/shop?o={"showHomeItems":1})

Finally my 14 year old daughter had become a pro at cutting vinyl and was able to reproduce Ray's signs with her expert font and lettering skills.   She has been able to reproduce my LUG's logo for car window decals, coffee cups, shirts, and new lettering on my steam engines.   http://macismonograms.blogspot.com/

To finish it off; the building was lit with lifelites.  www.lifelites.com 

If you are unfamiliar with The Blues Brothers - stop reading this and go watch Jake and Elwood try and get the band back together!

31886738884_249915d59a_c.jpgRays9 by Nate Flood, on Flickr

32576707102_050c0e293d_c.jpgRays13 by Nate Flood, on Flickr

31886733914_9540aefe68_c.jpgRays2 by Nate Flood, on Flickr

32689574776_999c4ffae0_c.jpgRays14 by Nate Flood, on Flickr

Edited by nebraska

Super awesome, well done!?

Can't say what my favourite detail is, since it all goes together so well. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I surely remember this part and uou got it spot on!

HOLY HECK. This is lovely, and the decals are absolutely stunning. Even the glass on the displays looks dusty and everything (second picture). Well done!

"I mean, really, Ray, it's used. There's no action left in this keyboard."
"Um, uh, excuse me, I don't think there's anything wrong with the action on this piano."

Absolutely brilliant. One of my all-time favourite movies, I must have seen it twenty times. And what a soundtrack! I love the mural, what an outstanding idea, especially to have Greg Hyland do it for you. It looks stunning. Instant favourite!

Well played, my friend. Well played.

Now go shake a tail feather.

1 hour ago, L@go said:

"I mean, really, Ray, it's used. There's no action left in this keyboard."
"Um, uh, excuse me, I don't think there's anything wrong with the action on this piano."

Absolutely brilliant. One of my all-time favourite movies, I must have seen it twenty times. And what a soundtrack! I love the mural, what an outstanding idea, especially to have Greg Hyland do it for you. It looks stunning. Instant favourite!

Well played, my friend. Well played.

Now go shake a tail feather.

Thank you!  Yes - when Greg sent me the final copy of the mural - my jaw hit the floor and knew this MOC could be really really cool...