Sign in to follow this  
Kolonialbeamter

[OL - FB] The 'Pélican'

Ahoy, laddies!

Presenting a hull experiment that went ship:

The 'Pélican'

32603810931_96154db106_c.jpg

The Pélican is one of many barges afloat in New Terra. A true workhorse - but not more. This type of ship isn't a glorious one, barely anyone remembers them once they've delivered their cargo. But without them, large parts of the thriving economy would simply brake down. Transport barges are the backbone of both inner and inter-island cargo supply, as their shallow draught permits them to travel on rivers, too. Time for a small spotlight on this sailing barge here, carrying timber from Eltina to Breshaun.

31913350093_fe79e7319c_c.jpg

32726896265_9ea025607a_c.jpg

And a comparison shot I haven't done in a long time:

32573790112_170b31d482_c.jpg

... still larger than the IFS :grin:

About:

A while ago I was fiddling around with 1x4 curved slopes and flextubes, to create a hull. It didn't result in something I liked, I got bored, so I kicked it. Well, now I was in need of a medium transport ship, so I dug up the idea, and after some more fiddling around it worked out - et voilà - sailing barge. It's buildable, and should even be swooshable. I put some more effort into the rigging, to test out something new, and because otherwise this would just be a boring floating hull :grin:

For now Pélican will be licensed as... yes, you've guessed correctly... a barge. But I think there's some margin here justifying a higher rating later on.

Thanks for watching,

C&C as always welcome :classic:

Vive le Roi!

Nicely done! I like the side-fins for stability, those access hatches to the lower living quarters look fancy :thumbup:.

Another lovely ship from the Kb shipyard, sir! I really like how you are trying out an entirely different approach here. Those 1x4 slopes are very effective for the purpose, and I wonder if inverted ones on top could serve as tumble home for a larger vessel.

I like the overall shape of the hull, and the open hold is a great idea. The toplights over the crew quarters/cabin are inspired, and I like little details like the ladders to the hold, those sideboards (or whatever those outer, lowerable keels are called) and the winches up front.

The rig strikes me as a little odd, though. It appears to be a variation of a lugger, but the sails on the mainmast (including the furled one) just doesn't make sense to me. Can you possibly show us what they are meant to represent? :)

Anyways, lovely work.

On 5.2.2017 at 11:52 PM, Bregir said:

I wonder if inverted ones on top could serve as tumble home for a larger vessel.

Yes, probably. I used the same slopes, turned 180° along their y-axle once. The thing is just that the more (curved) slopes you use in a hull, the more 'vertical stripes' the ship gets, and that looks odd at a larger scale. At least to me.

On 5.2.2017 at 11:52 PM, Bregir said:

Can you possibly show us what they are meant to represent?

Basically, this here - mast stays up, sail comes down:

Image result for sail barge -jabba

Oh, I haven't commented on this one. Great Barge (I think the first one we have seen here on BOBS), and those slopes are indeed a good part to use here (I actually have a ton of them lying around in a WIP I started 4 months ago... Maybe this motivates me to continue it at some point...), but I agree with Bregir that the rigging seems odd, at least the topsail - I have never seen a topsail with a beam holding it arranged in this way. Maybe keep that one in the same shape as on the plans, triangular?