Sign in to follow this  
Gulagurag

"Puck's Jest - Part 1" – MCRA Jan 2017

Captain Amara waited paitiently with the two other sailor’s for Meloche to begin the briefing.  They stood around the table with the map of the area, shifting from side to side, while waiting for the man who had willed the town into being to arrive.

Meloche did not keep them waiting long.  He strode in confidently will his weather-worn cloak flapping behind as he walked.

“Thank you all for coming” he said courteously as he reached the end of the table and Amara acknowledged the comment with a nod.

Pulling three envelopes from a pocket in his coat, Meloche addressed the group again.  “ I present each of you with letters of Marque from Eslandolan.  We will be hunting Mardieran ships this month after their spineless betrayal left Amara and I without our ships.  We will show them the folly of their  actions.”

IMG_0377_zps1sbnuyto.jpg

Pointing at the map on the table, Meloche began to brief the sailors on rumours and likely trade routes of the Mardieran fleet.

IMG_0380_zps76tibps6.jpg

“...now that we know the likely routes to hunt by, I have a special task.  There is a ship called the Puck’s Jest.  One of my spies has reported its location off the Dragonfang peninsula and I want one of you to bring her back to us.  It is a bit under gunned and will need refurbishing but with a bit of work, should be a useful addition to our town’s navy. “

IMG_0379_zpsgz24t2lf.jpg

Amara spoke up immediately.  “I will bring her back sir.”

The other two sailors gave the amazon a questioning look.  Amara was the captain of a ship that was half the size of the Puck’s Jest.  A sea battle between the two would be suicide for the woman but they held their tongues.

Meloche did not seem to share their skeptisism and finished the brief quickly after.

IMG_0378_zpsncbuup09.jpg

“Take care out there.” Meloche concluded and the four seafarers left upon their separate missions.

IMG_0381_zpsvffxdkez.jpg

Captain Amara had her men prepare the Night’s Whisper and set sail on the morning tide.  They followed the map eastward until they approaced the Dragonfang Peninsula.  However, night was falling and the men hurriedly dropped anchor and stowed the sail in the bay rather than risk coming about the peninsula at night and face their target in the dark.

IMG_0384_zps3swrtgyy.jpg

As the sun continued to drop away on the horizon, captain Amara pulled her looking glass from beside the wheel and set it to her eye.

IMG_0383_zpsa5oqw5ts.jpg

Puck’s Jest sat anchored exactly where Meloche had said it would be.  Amara could see it clearly around the point of the Dragon Fang.  The sun at her back made the ship almost glow with brightness while she knew, her ship would be hidden by the blazing orb.

IMG_0385_zpsikdxo8ob.jpg

Reaching down, captain Amara replaced the spy glass in its pocket and then called to her crew.

“Come along men.”  She called “It shouldn’t take us more than an hour to swim to our prize.  When we approach tonight, we will be virtually unseen in the dark if we are careful, and if we hurry we can catch them at meal time when the guard will be minimal.”

Without waiting for the crew’s reply, Amara dove head first over the rail and splashed into the sea below.

IMG_0386_zpsd5opo4dw.jpg

Looking back.  She called again.  “What are you all waiting for?” she asked.  More splashes were heard as her crew followed the orders given.

IMG_0387_zpsjc7jpuxe.jpg

“I kind of wish I was still drunk in the city”, one whispered to the other.

“Shut up.”, the other answered.

All the different scales of building are a unique way of telling this story, and the diving/swimming scenes are neat. I also like your Lego representation of looking through the "glass"; I don't recall seeing that done before. Overall, this is a good creative approach which works well.