The pump and anti-jamming mechanism of the Yellow Submarine worked so well that I had to make a module just focusing on these parts:

Here are the building instructions: http://c-mt.dk/instructions/lxf/gbc_pump.lxf

gbc_pump.png

Here is the thread for the Yellow Submarine module: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/146542-gbc-yellow-submarine/

It is fun making GBC modules. Now I just need a good idea for the next module :)

Fantastic - easy to build and strong, thanks for the instructions, already getting the parts together to start soon for my next GBC Loop machine.

How high do you think it can pump the balls ?

Thanks guys. It is a simple design that should be very approachable.

As for the height. At events I find tall ball pumps to be a problem because balls are inside of them for too long (often there is a very low rate of balls/second), so kids who follow a particular ball might lose interest once the ball gets into a pump. Mechanically there should be no problem with a taller module.

Edited by Lasse D
A word had been eaten...

very nice! might see if I can build it in the near future!

I've built a couple of ball pumps in the past, and they all suffer the same issue of the balls 'thumping' back down, if you build a large stack.. yet to find a good one that puts a ball into a stack, and the whole stack doesn't go up and down, when there's no new input balls ready.. (would need a small one-way catch, or something)

But yes.. it can get a bit boring when you're trying to follow a ball, and it's stuck in the stack for a while

HELP:-

I have been building this following the LXF instructions.

At step 8/120 you complete the red to & fro frame BUT this is not inserted until step 120/120.

Without dismantling the build how do you insert it ?

At what step should you install it.

Argh! LEGO Digital Designer is botching the sequence! I should have expected those shenannigans. Sorry about that. You should put it in at the same time as the red tubes that hold it in place. The motorized wheel in the middle should be put in afterward since it rests on top.

Does anyone know how to force LDD to use the same sequence as when you build? If not, then I might have to make LDraw instructions instead.

Edit. How on Earth does LDD expect you to put in that part LAST!?

Edited by Lasse D

1 hour ago, Lasse D said:

Argh! LEGO Digital Designer is botching the sequence! I should have expected those shenannigans. 

. How on Earth does LDD expect you to put in that part LAST!?

Thanks for the reply and explanations about the LDD glitches !

I,ve stripped it back down and inserted the red frame parts & started to rebuild.

Now I understand how it functions I am adapting your design slightly for use on a second planned  GBC loop on a 56L x 56L baseplate, as I don,t require the standard GBC inlet box.

T/Y

Awesome, I love how you explained the mechanism with some small mockups!

Did you use the XL motor because it does not need gearing down to achieve the correct amount of RPM? Or is its power actually necessary for the mechanism to operate?

Thanks. I use an XL motor because I had a spare one. The mechanism is super light and the module can run on "half speed" on the 9V train controller. If you throw an M-motor in then I recommend a 1:3 gearing or greater. Otherwise the pump will move too fast for the ball to properly drop into the mechanism.

Now built this GBC Ball Pump and modified it as I don't require the standard GBC inlet box.
The output tower was also modified to suit.
I will be using this in a GBC Loop circuit that I have just started working on.

Drive is by M motor with 3:1 reduction and gives a good speed.
After some hassle with balls jamming in the output tower where the anti-jam function worked perfectly, the module runs vey smoothly and is slightly hypnotic.
To test it I set up a return ball run and let it run for some time without any problems. See video.

A simple robust design - thanks Lasse D for designing and sharing it.

32739742616_d25b614b70.jpg

32627170792_6f543eea38.jpg

Video:

Edited by Doug72

Thanks. It is great to see the mechanism being put to use. Up next will be a scissor lift.