N_Cat

Ms. Marvel Arm Modification

Alright, guys, I'm in the US, but I bought a Ms. Marvel figure on Bricklink before modifying it. Because it's a new part, I figured I'd tell people just in case they were curious. I commented about it in the Lego Licensed Marvel Superheroes topic, but figured it belonged here as well.

Here's the modified figure;

69hRzckl.jpg

I know the color choice on the arms is very wrong, but I'm away from my full collection, so I just chose a pair from my selection with me at school.

Here are my observations and thoughts about the part as it came from Lego:

• The torso comes in an unusually large plastic bag with perforations. If the bag is unfolded, it's about the area of the front face of a $13 set.
  • The hands (not the bracelets, the actual minifigure hands) are removable from the arms and can be replaced as well, but they require more force than when removing or replacing hands from regular arms.  Once removed, they appear to be standard hands.
  • The arm piece feels less like rubber Friends hair and more like Lego's typical soft plastic tubes.
  • There's no metal wire, it's just molded into the curved shape, so it can't be posed well, and the shape just snaps back to default as soon as pressure stops. However, the plastic does feel like if you left it in one position for a while, it might tend towards that position.
  • The printing quality on the torso looks fantastic.
  • The torso piece doesn't have the customary white/black square on the neck peg. I assume that's because the arms are back-front symmetric, so it didn't matter which way the torso was facing when they were inserted.

I then used scissors to cut the arm tube.

• The tube is very soft, and is very easy to cut.
  • The tube is solid; there's no hole through the center, nor is there a core made of a different material
  • Standard minifigure arms definitively DO pop in, with no further modification needed.
  • The balls are not compressed once inside the socket, so the figure shouldn't be damaged, nor should the arm pieces.
  • The arms can be rotated without popping out or breaking.
  • However, the interior socket is uneven; it's rectangular, so the ball joint on the arm experiences uneven friction as the arm is rotated; in some positions it has more friction than others.
  • Because the sockets aren't designed to hold minifigure arms, there's a tiny bit of give: in some positions, the arm comes a millimeter out of joint. However, in most positions it looks completely normal.
  • Arms come out easier than from normal torsos, but they should stay in fine, even during posing or play.

Can you still use the rubber arms? Like is it possible to stick it back in and use it, not necessarily how it was used to begin with but is it still possible to use?