UPDATE: Changed the title of the thread, since people have already guessed the model!

Hey guys!

Feels good to be back with a WIP. This is one that I've been developing mostly digitally, since the Koenigsegg is still assembled, and I spend most of my days at uni. Anyways, if you follow me on Flickr or Facebook, you've already seen some LDD screenshots and perhaps this photo of the front suspension:

31732033494_57584da953_c.jpg
Prototype Front Suspension by VKTechnic, on Flickr

As you can see, the front axle has McPherson strut suspension with drive and Ackermann steering! Took a lot of tinkering to get the wheel hubs just right without modifying anything, but I'm happy with the result. Moving on to the rest of the chassis, I've decided to try a few new things. Inspired by the LPEPower E30, I've made the B-pillars and roll-cage structurally sound, so I can roll the model (and pick it up by the roof) without worrying about anything coming off:

31661669553_6e3f501784_c.jpg
Virtual WIP by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Over the past few days, I've been working hard on building a physical chassis, and similar to the Koenigsegg's WIP, I'm using odd-colored pieces to fill in the pieces I'll need to order in white:

32535375371_98813bcdd7_c.jpg
Mystery WIP! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

At this point, the chassis is driveable, and the majority of the functions are, well, functional. :wink:  The rear suspension is another new one for me: proper trailing arms! I've mounted two XL motors in the very rear of the chassis along with the batteries and receivers. There's also a manually locking central diff, and a fake engine that I've removed for the photo (it'd spoil too much :wink: ). Front end is in the works, but I may have to do the rear end first to minimize spoilers :tongue:

Edited by VKTechnic

Very promising suspension setups! I suppose the black axles inserted into the CV-joints for the front axles slide in and out the CV-joint while compressing and expanding the suspension. Maybe also while steering. If this is the case, then the black axles are likely to pull the CV-joint out of the diff over time. When transferring drive, the axles don't slide in and out of the CV-joint very easy. @PorkyMonster posted a nice way to secure the CV-joints recently.

Edited by Didumos69

6 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Very promising suspension setups! I suppose the black axles inserted into the CV-joints for the front axles slide in and out the CV-joint while compressing and expanding the suspension. Maybe also while steering. If this is the case, then the black axles are likely to pull the CV-joint out of the diff over time. When transferring drive, the axles don't slide in and out of the CV-joint very easy. @PorkyMonster posted a nice way to secure the CV-joints recently.

That's a very interesting solution, but unfortunately, the CV joints here aren't just moving up and down, they're angled forward a bit too. I also don't have to much flexibility for mounting something like that here :/

Aaah just too late,.. Anyway i love McM!, You can allready tell quite well its a Subarute.

9 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

You saw the mighty car mods vs roadkill episodes on YouTube? But looks nice. You should ad the hoodscoop

Hood scoop will definitely be added soon :)

11 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

You saw the mighty car mods vs roadkill episodes on YouTube? But looks nice. You should ad the hoodscoop

That Subarute was pretty cool, hope this one is too. I can't wait to see more!

9 minutes ago, XtremeBuilder said:

Since it has been guessed what this is, will you post pics of the model with the fake engine? :tongue:

Sure, I'll include that in my next update :)

Time for a long overdue update! Quite a bit of progress has been happening on the technical side of things, not as much on the cosmetic side. Probably the most notable change is the reveal of the Axial Ripsaws 1.9 tires.

32977314705_b58951ce39_c.jpg
Technical progress! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

I've been developing a realistic door mechanism, based on an old prototype by Nicjasno (now LPEPower). This one is slimmed down to only 2 studs (3 including the outer panel), and the idea is that the door can only open when the handle is pulled. I might add an internal handle, or maybe a locking mechanism of sorts, who knows :tongue:

32133334444_14438ce0cf_c.jpg
Rear 3/4 by VKTechnic, on Flickr

I wasn't able to squeeze in a classic air shock mechanism (one that locks by pushing the spring behind the pivot point of the hood), so I decided to implement a hood latch using Bionicle teeth. It's operated from the driver's footwell, similar to a proper car :classic:

32133333044_a2995e607b_c.jpg
Under the hood by VKTechnic, on Flickr

The last feature that I've finalized is the central diff lock, which is operated by a lever in the center console. I'll also be mounting a switch for the fog lights behind it, which I've already wired up.

32133333944_0a4374eaf4_c.jpg
Technical progress! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

That's about it for updates! Over the next few days, I'll be building some proper adjustable seats and finalizing the hood and door mounts (the current hood mount is temporary). I've only got two more weeks before I've gotta order all the white panels, so it's crunch time!

Edited by VKTechnic

Woah, this looks looks pretty touch, and even a door latch mechanism, can't wait to see the final product. :)

It's been a real busy couple of weeks, but I'm happy to say that the Subarute is going to be complete by Bricks Cascade this weekend!

33202379381_6bedcce59e_c.jpg
Almost there! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

As it stands, the model is 98% done, I just need to finish the ute bed. Other than that, I've received 3 of 9 BrickLink orders today, and the rest of them will be arriving in the next 2-3 days!

Amazing progress! It looks really good for not using many flex-axles or any at all,

39 minutes ago, JJ2 said:

Amazing progress! It looks really good for not using many flex-axles or any at all,

0 flex axles used in the model :grin:

I love how this is coming together :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. I also like the absence of flex axles, they would be too sloppy for this otherwise rugged build.

Edited by Didumos69

This is looking awesome, very recognizable from the front. I can't wait to see the finished product in a constant colour!