MKJoshA

Episode XIV: Before the Storm

shadowsofeurobricks_titlecard.png

large.588ff7c8bc6b4_Ep14Crawl2.jpg.eacea

Homecoming

014edit

The goal for each side is to show a scene from their player's home planet. Or at least a planet their player has called home at one point in their lives (basically, if you can write a story for it, it will work). Your player does not have to be on the planet built, her/she can be having a flash-back. But if you chose to use a flash-back please include a shot of your main character in some way still.

Each entry must include enough aspects to distinguish the location built as being from the unique planet chosen by the player. For example, a build set on Mon Calamari would need to include more than just water.

The Rules:

• Both factions may depict every day life on any canonical or legends Star Wars planet.
  • Ideas for what the planets look like can be found on the SoNE Map thread or on Wookiepedia.
  • At the end of the episode each planet (not previously controlled by either faction) built on will fall under the control of the faction that built there. If both factions build on the same planet, whichever faction wins the episode will gain control of the planet. Planets already under the control of a faction can still be built on but will not change hands regardless of who builds on it. Some examples of new planets are Ring of Kafrene, Eadu, Wobani, Scarif, Jedha, etc.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Nar Eurbrikka subforum, the title prefixed by, "[SoNE Ep. XIV]" and the Planet depicted (For example, "[SoNE Ep. XIV] Wobani - Slumming It Home") The appropriateness, accuracy, and creativity involved in your interpretation of the identified planet will weigh heavily in the points you are rewarded.
  • All rules in the Core Rules topic apply unless otherwise stated in this explanation or the rules above.
  • There are no restrictions on the size/form/content of the builds, as long as they follow the above described goals.
  • The Episode will run from February 1st to March 15th. As long as it is still March 15th somewhere in the world, you can still enter. 
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified from the episode and will not be eligible to receive points or XP.
  • Entries will be judged according to the Core Rules:
    • Your build will be scored in two stages, to make it easier on the judges by lessening the number of builds that must be scored in greater detail:
      • In the first stage, the judges will award a score from 1-10, with a '1' being "Minifig on a Plate", a '5' being "Your Average MOC" and a '10' being "Flawless Concept and Execution".
      • In the second stage, the top five builds of each faction (so ten in total) from the first stage will be scored based on basic predetermined criteria: up to 10 points for the concept and appropriateness to the objective, up to 25 points for your execution of the build, and up to 5 points for your presentation of the entry.
      • If we don't have more than 10 players per team, we will skip the second round of judging. That means both teams need at least 10 players for the second round to happen.
      • For builders who make it to the second stage, their second stage total is added to their first stage points, and that total is divided by two and a half. You can earn a maximum of 20 points in each episode.
    • The amount of points you earn is also the amount of XP your character earns.
  • This episode/contest is open to all players of Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka, even if they joined EB or signed up for the game after the episode has begun, with the exception of the Star Wars staff, who are not eligible to win XP or prizes; the EB admins and moderators, who are not eligible to win prizes but may earn XP; and the episode host, who is not eligible to win prizes but may earn XP.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the episode. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO or with Lego Digital Designer. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts.
  • Post pictures no larger than 1000x720, as specified in the EB Member Guidelines.
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited,.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.

The Prizes:

• From the Core Rules:
    • Your faction will receive points based on two factors:
      • Builders: Two points for each builder.
        • [*]These two totals are added to each other, and the faction with the higher total is the winner.
  • All the players on the winning faction will receive this tag large.owen_tag.png.ec4aa840df1436d5c05d1 (actual tag subject to change) to commemorate their victory. You can only have one of these tags or one of the Community Build tags at a time, but a log will be kept of all the tags you've earned in your profile in the Player Index.
  • The winning team will get control of all planets they've built on. The loosing team will get control of all planets they built on that the winning team did not build on.
  • The player who receives the most total individual points, regardless of team, is guaranteed a spot among the next set of the blog's Showcased MOCs. (This member must still be able to provide a picture big enough and of suitable quality to be used in the Showcased banner.)
  • You will receive XP equal to the number of points you are awarded from the judges.

2 minutes ago, LEGORACER1 said:

I agree this is a amazing contest. I am very excited because its also my first contest.

Same! This is my first episode, hopefully I will get a tag!

Edited by VaderFan2187
Tag not rag. I hate you autocorrect.

Fantastic stuff! It fits perfectly, storywise, with what I have going on in the near future, so I am very happy for the goals you picked! Can't wait! :laugh:

This time, the Alliance will win, I can feel it. Let's give it our best shot, comrades!

Also, someone might want to update the episode rules and remove the part about clue parts and the secret model sooner or later, right? That was two episodes ago... :wink:

Neither can they partake in discussions about what the clue parts of the other faction would be or about what the hidden model could look like!

9 hours ago, Cody Startale said:

Also, someone might want to update the episode rules and remove the part about clue parts and the secret model sooner or later, right? That was two episodes ago... :wink:

No wonder I got confused. Like "What clue part? I remember that being some consular ship a while ago…"

9 hours ago, Cody Startale said:

This time, the Alliance will win, I can feel it. Let's give it our best shot, comrades!

No! Hail the Empire! Also I want a tag :tongue:

4 hours ago, Forresto said:

We will rally on the homefront, for the Alliance!

Long live the Empire! :vader:

Edited by VaderFan2187

From our PM, just wanted to make the explanation open to everybody.

1 minute ago, Kodan Black said:

So one of the rules says it has to be representative in such a way that it is unique to that planet. Is that like architecture and/or scenery? So if you build on XYZ planet it has to look like the representative building style or landscape, is that what they are after?

Yes. We wanted to make sure that people don't just build a generic desert and call it Tatooine, or a tree and call it Endor. It should be like a postcard, capturing the feel of the planet and something that makes it distinctive. 

19 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

You can only have one of these tags or one of the Community Build tags at a time, but a log will be kept of all the tags you've earned in your profile in the Player Index.

Wait a second… so if the Empire wins and I get this tag, I cannot get any other tags underneath my profile? :cry_sad:

OK, so planets already controlled by a faction don't really contribute much for this challenge. Do we have a list of planets NOT under control? Because I see a list of ones that are but no master list of total planets, so the only way to do the differential is to look at the map and list all the planets and then subtract out the ones under control.

Just now, Kodan Black said:

OK, so planets already controlled by a faction don't really contribute much for this challenge. Do we have a list of planets NOT under control? Because I see a list of ones that are but no master list of total planets, so the only way to do the differential is to look at the map and list all the planets and then subtract out the ones under control.

I think you can use any from Wookieepedia. (AKA any planet in Star Wars realistic enough for your story).

19 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Both factions may depict every day life on any canonical or legends Star Wars planet.

So go through Wookieepedia, see if the planet you want is already controlled, if it isn't, I think you can build!

1 hour ago, goatman461 said:

From our PM, just wanted to make the explanation open to everybody.

Yes. We wanted to make sure that people don't just build a generic desert and call it Tatooine, or a tree and call it Endor. It should be like a postcard, capturing the feel of the planet and something that makes it distinctive. 

For clearity's sake, when looking at my last episode, I take it that the build featured there would not be enough to distinguish the planet as Mon Calamari, since its generic beach and water scene might as well fit Scarif. But if I added some architectures of Mon Calamari and/or Quarren homes to it for uniqueness, it would count?

Also, you recently posted topics in which you featured your Jedha builds as depicting Commenor. Would this still count as being unique enough if the city can pass as being on another planet, too?

15 minutes ago, Cody Startale said:

Also, you recently posted topics in which you featured your Jedha builds as depicting Commenor. Would this still count as being unique enough if the city can pass as being on another planet, too?

That is a good point. When I think Kashyyk there isn't much from what I remember in the movies that would set it apart from another planet absent the Wookies. Similarly Endor was filmed in the redwood forests of California, but really it isn't much different from most forests. So my hope is that there is some degree of flexibility here. I'm not sure how, aside from including Ewoks, you make Endor distinctly Endor. Even Lothal from the Rebels show is not much different from Coruscant at the street level.

It's a sliding scale that would be different for each judge, so there is no hard rule about what distinguishes something as distinguished :) You won't get DQ'd for building a generic desert, but you won't get as many points as you would if you included a moisture evaporator and sand-igloo.

My Jedha as Commenor build would certainly be pushing it to some, but for a lot of these planets there is no defined architecture or aesthetic, so you'll have to get creative and hope the judges like your interpretation. For Endor, I should have said, "just any tree." I would expect an Endor build to include trees that are distinctly redwoods and housing to account for that lifestyle.

Without getting into the particulars of each planet, your job in this episode is to make the judges think you're accurately representing the planet. How you do that is up to your artistic license. Browsing though concept art (especially McQuarrie's) should help.

Okay, that's good enough for me :)

So I don't have to worry about judges saying "Your Commenor city doesn't count because a Corellian city could look just like that"? I will still try to make it unique enough, but as you said, not every planet (especially Legends ones) has defined specifics that clearly idenfity them.

Kashyyyk and Endor, I would find easy to distinguish because of the inhabitants' home architectures.

I have found a new love for SW after watching TFA the other day, and having seen mortensv´s fleet in here.
I might have to join up.
Now, I haven´t got a lot of SW minifigs, most of them are imperial. I just can´t make the decision as to where I want to join in. Maybe I´ll do something as obvious as becomming a "scum deserter" like Fin, in order to make the most of my SW minifigs. :tongue:
Meaning that i will join up with the alliance, but my past have been part of the imperial fleet ? .... Would that work ? 

18 hours ago, Cody Startale said:

Wow, four proof readers and not one of us caught that! I've fixed it now.

7 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Wait a second… so if the Empire wins and I get this tag, I cannot get any other tags underneath my profile? :cry_sad:

I can have more than one tag displaying, but you can only have one SoNE tag displaying at a time. We'll keep track of all the tags you win and you can request to change it out at any time.

7 hours ago, Kodan Black said:

This has been mostly answered, but it is true that any SW planet you can find on Wookiepedia counts. We thought about including a list of open planets, but we didn't want to limit anyone. So you can build anywhere from Jedha to Yavin 4 to Zonama Sekot. You can also build on "controlled" planets, but as you said, it won't give an added bonus at the end of the contest.

6 hours ago, Cody Startale said:

For clearity's sake, when looking at my last episode, I take it that the build featured there would not be enough to distinguish the planet as Mon Calamari, since its generic beach and water scene might as well fit Scarif. But if I added some architectures of Mon Calamari and/or Quarren homes to it for uniqueness, it would count?

This has also been answered but I wanted to confirm that everyone's on the right track. Make it convincing and you're good to go. I built this city scene in Bothawui, but it easily could have been set in Coruscant. It was the story that help set it in Bothawui. If we see you making an effort you'll be in pretty good shape.

29 minutes ago, KlodsBrik said:

I have found a new love for SW after watching TFA the other day, and having seen mortensv´s fleet in here.
I might have to join up.
Now, I haven´t got a lot of SW minifigs, most of them are imperial. I just can´t make the decision as to where I want to join in. Maybe I´ll do something as obvious as becomming a "scum deserter" like Fin, in order to make the most of my SW minifigs. :tongue:
Meaning that i will join up with the alliance, but my past have been part of the imperial fleet ? .... Would that work ? 

You can join the Rebellion and absolutely show flash backs of your previous Imperial life! I look forward to see it!

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

You can join the Rebellion and absolutely show flash backs of your previous Imperial life! I look forward to see it!

Isn't that because you're a rebel? If he has a lot of Imperials he should join the Empire :tongue:

1 minute ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Isn't that because you're a rebel? If he has a lot of Imperials he should join the Empire :tongue:

Nah just more targets for our commandos :grin:

Just now, Forresto said:

Except you guys miss a lot. I don't listen to rebel propaganda about how we Imperials supposedly miss all the time :tongue:

Normal minifigures could work as normal rebels too, seeing how rebels don't necessarily have a set uniform 

5 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

5 hours ago, Forresto said:

5 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Except you guys miss a lot. I don't listen to rebel propaganda about how we Imperials supposedly miss all the time :tongue:

Normal minifigures could work as normal rebels too, seeing how rebels don't necessarily have a set uniform 

You guys are killing me. I seriously spitted coffee all over my keyboard, when I read this just now ! :laugh::laugh::laugh: