Redbird11

10212 UCS Imperial Shuttle Mod

so here is the initial look without the exposed gears, my L motors should be delivered today so I can start to mock up the power functions. One of the benefits of this design increases the internal area so I’ll be able to create a better interior.

IMG_4414

It's looking amazing so far. When I worked on my interior, I used your's as a guide/inspiration on what I could put in there. I was able to get a walkway down to the cockpit with an open door. Never did figure out how you got the operation ramp. If you want some pictures of what I came up with based on your initial work via stud.io, feel free to DM me. I don't want to hijack your thread by posting images of my mods.  

IMG_4417IMG_4418

Here are some initial mock ups, the motor has been installed just need to get my brick link order in so I can test the mechanism. 

25 minutes ago, joebiwankenobi said:

It's looking amazing so far. When I worked on my interior, I used your's as a guide/inspiration on what I could put in there. I was able to get a walkway down to the cockpit with an open door. Never did figure out how you got the operation ramp. If you want some pictures of what I came up with based on your initial work via stud.io, feel free to DM me. I don't want to hijack your thread by posting images of my mods.  

Glad that you were able to incorporate some of my ideas, i have been waiting for some people to show me what they have done. Once I have completed my recent revisions i can give you the info on the ramp.

I modified my UCS shuttle about six years ago. Flickr Album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjXcYDdm

I also did the ramp, an interior and tried to motorise the wings. I learned a few things which might be of use to you:

1) It is possible to remove the entire top fin and fit a full interior.

13902500123_81da0e8fb7_c.jpg

13901938524_4d951abc94_c.jpg

2) If you have two "M" motors, they quickly get out of sync with one another , so that (especially on the upstroke) one wing is moving at a different speed to the other. I never tried a single "L" motor so I have no idea if that would have the same issue.

Nice job, I really like the interior. I’m going to be using some new gears that Lego came out with (28 tooth bevel), so hopefully I will eliminate the problem you described, just waiting for my brick link order.

Hi Redbird11

I think the mods you have done to the imperial shuttle are magnificent.

I would like to modify mine the same, adding the ramp and the landing gear. Could you send me the file with the instructions?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

On 3/22/2018 at 12:56 PM, Redbird11 said:

So i’m continuing modifications to the shuttle, here is my attempt at eliminating the gap between the wing gears. Let me know your thoughts.

40911795242_ec73a260b7_b.jpg

Hi @Redbird11

Could you detail the pieces I would need to eliminate the gaps between the wing gears?

I am not clear on the references and the quantity of them that I would need. I'm a newbie to ship mods...

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, jasoriab said:

Hi @Redbird11

Could you detail the pieces I would need to eliminate the gaps between the wing gears?

I am not clear on the references and the quantity of them that I would need. I'm a newbie to ship mods...

Thanks!!

I can when I return from vacation, but if you wait for the changes that I am working on now I can provide those instead if it all works out. 

9 hours ago, Redbird11 said:

I can when I return from vacation, but if you wait for the changes that I am working on now I can provide those instead if it all works out. 

OK  @Redbird11 No problem for me to wait for you to finish these changes.

Enjoy your vacation! :wink:

Ok, so got a few of my brick link orders in and I’m happy so far with the outcome. The concept works, I just need to get a couple of 24 tooth clutch gears for when the wings will reach max (lifting and lowering. I have yet to put the motor under a load but I feel it should have ample power to complete the task.

IMG_0008

You can see from the picture how I have the motor oriented.

Edited by Redbird11

Well this morning I placed the wing on and as most have predicted... it’s a no-go wings are too heavy and not enough torque. I will have to go back to the drawing board and utilize the worm gears in a different configuration than the stock model. This is disappointing but it is just part of the process.

ok, its been awhile but I think i may have figured out my motorized wing configuration. I still haven’t attached any weight to it yet but I was able to utilize the worm gear which should help out with the torque needed to lift the wings. I’ll provide an update as soon as I complete the test.

IMG_0250

Glad you're making some progress. Only thing that still worries me is the weight. I've been working on some things for it on and off, too. Trying to get a modernized version of Dmac's retractable landing gear in there. Goal is to see if I can get gear deployment synchronized with the wing retraction and gear retraction with flight mode. I'll drop you a DM in the next couple days to discuss ideas and show you some things. 

On 3/1/2021 at 1:28 AM, Redbird11 said:

Yeah still suffering with weight issues, I’m interested to hear what you have come up with.

G'day Redbird11,

Mate I built my 10212 about 4 years ago and have been displaying it proudly. I was thinking of pulling it apart, giving it a Hydrogen Peroxide bath, and rebuild it with your mods. The Ramp and the revised Landing Gear are fantastic.

Hope you can share the details mate.

Rob

Edited by Parra_Eels

I am quite happy with 80% of this model but I am thinking of how to rebuild the head module to be more accurate and incorporate more modern building techniques.  I like the brickvault.toys one and wonder if that could be modded to be compatible.  the only problem is  you lose visibility of the crew inside and the instructions would be expensive just for a curiosity that might not lead to anything workable

Edited by LDigital

35 minutes ago, Parra_Eels said:

G'day Redbird11,

Mate I built my 10212 about 4 years ago and have been displaying it proudly. I was thinking of pulling it apart, giving it a Hydrogen Peroxide bath, and rebuild it with your mods. The Ramp and the revised Landing Gear are fantastic.

Hope you can share the details mate.

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for interest in my mods, unfortunately I have lost a lot of data from my computer and no longer have those files. The shuttle has been torn apart and I’m attempting to rebuild here in the near future but for right now it’s in storage until after we move in November. You might be able to contact some of the other members that I sent them to and see if they still have them. 

James 

3 minutes ago, Redbird11 said:

Rob,

Thanks for interest in my mods, unfortunately I have lost a lot of data from my computer and no longer have those files. The shuttle has been torn apart and I’m attempting to rebuild here in the near future but for right now it’s in storage until after we move in November. You might be able to contact some of the other members that I sent them to and see if they still have them. 

James 

James,

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll stay posted for your updates!

Thanks

Rob