Redbird11

10212 UCS Imperial Shuttle Mod

Redbird, are you able to send me the instructions too?

btw, do the landing gears on your shuttle fold up at all or are they fixed in place?

Yes, I can send the instructions, just understand they are not like some of the polished ones we find on this site (LDD instructions). Unfortunately the current landing gear setup doesn’t allow for them to be retracted, eventually i’d like to make another attempt. For these revisions I just wanted to focus on how it could be displayed on the stand , the external landing gear always bothered me as if it was just an afterthought. If you still want the instructions just send me a PM with your email.

Hi Redbird11, I would also really like to get your PDF for the ramp, cheers.

Congrats on an amazing mod. I have been modding this set myself for some time now, but did not dream of the gaps around the gears could be reduced so successfully. I would really like to take a look at the instructions you mentioned to see what you did internally. If you have an opportunity, please send me the files for both mods. Thanks!

Wonderful mods to one of the best UCS sets to date!  I can relate to your 'weird obsession' as this is my favorite vehicle in the SW universe.

Still - as amazing as it is - the 10212 set is lacking in many areas.  The extreme taper of the cockpit nose section, lack of a boarding ramp, and the clumsy engine exhaust section to name a few.  While I understand that TLG designs a set with certain limitations in mind such as piece count, legal/illegal connections, price tier, etc... I really like that you addressed certain areas with relative ease and simplicity!  Excellent work!

If TLG sticks to their practice of re-designs, hopefully we'll see another iteration of this shuttle before too long.  In the meantime, the only mod I did to mine was to the engine exhaust area (years ago on FBTB, similar to your solution) and now I'm tempted to rip it apart! :head_back:

Oh!  Btw, any ideas for the ugly taper of the cockpit section?:wink:  Thanks for sharing all these updates!

Well, looks like I'm the first to post on this thread for 2020! Great job on the mods. I've been tinkering on ramp ideas for the shuttle for a while and I haven't come up with anything I like. I was wondering if I could get the PDF of your mods?

Cheers!

Apparently I can't send PMs yet... ?

Edited by Icsbnr32gtr
Adding info

Hello redbird, congrats for your modifications, the lack of interior is such a shame on this UCS, and you solved this problem.

If you still send the pdf, i would appreciate to get it,

thanks!

So I have had a bit of downtime since I retired from the military and decided I needed to take another look at the shuttle design. After completing Cavegods Zeta shuttle I felt that it was time to address motorizing the wings for this set, I know that people have tried to do it in the past but the current configuration didn’t allow for the motors and electronics to be stored internally. I think I may have figured out a solution, here is my initial setup on StudIO. I have also made it a bit more accurate with having 3 wing connection points instead of the two from the original model. The only drawback is that it will probably eliminate the landing gear, but I can take a better look at that once I start tearing into the model.

IMG_4397

IMG_4398

IMG_4399

So I started thinking a bit more and came up with a system that hides the gears giving it a smooth appearance... sorry for the bad picture quality

IMG_4400

Is it the only motor you are planning to use, or are there more inside the hull? The wings are quite heavy, and one M-motor won't do it.

I’m working on creating more torque thru gears ratios that may enable the M motor to lift the wings. This is just a start and now I have to begin tearing into the model so I can see how if things will work.

9 hours ago, Redbird11 said:

may enable the M motor to lift the wings

M motor may not be enough. This is a single, seriously geared down L motor lifting both wings: https://youtu.be/6cAc_P6rn6o?t=280

With M motor it will be way, way slower (if possible at all). L motor has roughly 50% more torque at similar rpm and is only 1 stud longer.

Ok, so I went back with some additional help and was able to come up with a design that may work. I utilized an L motor with an integrated clutch gear to prevent damage when lifting and lowering the wings... again sorry for the poor photo quality.

IMG_4401

Very nice Redbird! I did some MOC work on my copy of 10212 in Stud.io but haven't done anything with the model IRL since there's rumors of a new UCS shuttle coming. Whether or not that ends up being true is the big factor in me actually integrating the mods. The wings have been a sour point since I bought it last two years back. I always thought the mechanism left a lot to be desired, and I'm impressed to see you were able to move the motors to wing housings and hide the motors there. The clutch gear is needed, and I think the original model even needed some reduction mechanism, too. Are you going to test it on your model? I'll be curious if you do, and to see if this rumored new UCS model shares any similarities with the old one. 

Yes, I have already disassembled my model so that I can start figuring out how I’m going to make this work. We all know that space is extremely limited in this model and to integrate all the electronics internally will be huge challenge... hopefully I can figure it out.