Sign in to follow this  
LEGODalekbuster523

Peter Capaldi for 2017 NTA

The campaign starts here - we NEED to ensure that Peter Capaldi wins an NTA next year for his final series as the Doctor, to show how grateful we are for his portrayal of the role. Let's not let Peter Capaldi down. Even if you're in America: vote. 

Persuade as many people as you can to vote Capaldi once the longlist is announced. In fact, start early. Begin pestering your friends, colleagues, teachers, employers etc...now. 

Honestly, I don't care haha.

Doctor Who was always campy and cheesy. Sometimes episodes were just TOO MUCH. I cringed out of a few Christmas Specials. It never really made sense. Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff only goes so far. 

Moffat started taking that farther. Nothing makes sense. You have people doing flips over self-destructing robots that somehow stops the self-destructing robots. You have ladies hiding in bushes. Idunno. You have a million ridiculous and badly done things. In the middle of the Matt Smith era is when it started going all bad. Every season had to have some universe destroying threat. It was so common it became boring. The plots so ridiculous and riddled with plot-holes you'd fall right through them if you tried to understand an episode. In the end it's just been possibly the most ridiculous, most cringey, most laughably stupid show I've ever seen.

I used to love it. I'd just not love about a quarter of the episodes. But lately man, and it's not Capaldi's fault at all, it's been just that level of epic absurdity that I cannot do anything but laugh at while crying. I've seen it all so far except that super hero episode. I don't know why. Because of good times long forgotten I suppose.

But Capaldi IS good in it. He's a good doctor. He's just surrounded by absurdity. Moffat leaving Doctor Who is the BEST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN. Capaldi I'd love to see stay but I'm so exhausted from the show I'm not sure I actually care. When David Tennant was leaving I was sad and joked about enslaving him and forcing him to be the Doctor for at least 7 years. When Matt Smith was leaving it was dulled a bit by too many Moffat years but I still hated to see him go. Now on Capaldi, the badness has caught up and I'm tired. I'm sorry Capaldi. It's not your fault. You were good. I'm sorry.

1 minute ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

What do you expect? It's a show about time travel.

An attempt to make sense. Not just giving up. Like on the Pandora's Box one where he gets out of Pandora's box by his future self who already got out of the pandora's box giving Rory his screwdriver to get him out of it...

Any 5 year old would realize how ridiculous that is!

Movies and shows with time travel tend to have have plot holes and things that don't make sense. Though usually, for a well written one, you have to dig for them. You might even miss them. Sometimes, the rare one has no obvious plot holes! Whereas Doctor Who is a TV series that is more and more built ON plot holes. It's in the very foundations! It's the walls, the floors, the ceilings, the furniture. The family are plot holes. Little Timmy a plot hole child of the plot hole parents Susie and Richard. The dog is a plot hole. If you open the windows the trees are plot holes! The neighbors are plot holes! The very air you breath in this universe is a plot hole!

Now take that same paragraph and replace "are plot holes" with stuff like "is ridiculous", "are absurd", "will make you cringe until your face squishes up enough to form a singularity, of which your whole self will be sucked in and destroyed only to evaporate into Hawking Radiation!". Etc etc.

I think an ideal scenario that a time travel movie or TV show could see happen is it's so good people don't care (like, just off the top of my head, Back to the Future). I think at this point people care enough that Doctor Who has gotten so bad. The ratings are pretty terrible lately. The merchandising is way down (I think the peak was when David Tennant end year, Matt Smith beginning seasons happened). You used to see a whole Doctor Who aisle in every toy store.

Loved the David Tennant and earlier Matt Smith years. I know it might sound BAD but actually, come to think of it, as I was writing this paragraph I discovered this makes me EXCITED. This could mean a FRESH START. No Moffat. I know Capaldi isn't bad but with him leaving too it'll be truly fresh. And with a FRESH START some of us might get a chance to beat that Doctor Who peak and start loving the show again!

I don't mean to be insulting. I'm just very passionate about Doctor Who because I used to love it! Now I can't wait for 2018 or whenever the FRESH START will be! I hope that's understandable!

Eccleston - brought The Doctor back to us, his reign was short and quickly over shadowed by his replacement.

Tennant - Was The Doctor, IS The Doctor, and will always be "my" Doctor. sure his episodes too had plot holes and silliness but it was his wrecklessness and passion that made him so much more than the others (for me)

Smith - the good Doctor, perhaps to good, he was always the softy, a nice contrast to Tenant's version but this grew tired quick, add to the fact things got very weird leading to the end of the Amy and Rory era and it was easier to see him go.

Capaldi - arrived with a bang, hope restored in The Doctor, then came the strange need he had to face every conflict imaginable, and wouldn't you know it they were happening on earth in present day more than any other time period. I lost interest in the show before the end of his first season. as stated above not his fault I loved his rough and abrasive take on the doctor just didn't enjoy the plots either (moon was an egg, creature upon birth immediately lays another egg... Huh!?! )

John Hurt - war Doctor, weary and tired but so amazingly well done, stole spotlight in the special (Day of The Doctor) in fact I would absolutely love to see a spin off of his efforts in the time war leading to the events of Day of The Doctor. (side: how fitting is it that a man named 'Hurt' was the one to play a role of a scared and defeated Doctor finding redemption)

(EDIT: I just learned of John Hurts passing, at the age of 77, he was an amazing actor, and as Forresto below me has said really is the only one fore the War Doctor role. God Speed John Hurt)

Edited by GallardoLU

Unfortunately I think we are not going to see any more War Doctor and that is fine. I wouldnt want any other person to try and play that role besides the legendary and magnificent John Hurt.

I think you missed 8 fellows there, GallardoLU!  By the way, there are some books and Big Finish audiobooks about the War Doctor you might look into.

And shouldn't we actually see some stories before we decide they deserve awards?  I, personally, love Capaldi's Doctor, but I need to see the stuff before I decide it's award worthy.

6 hours ago, GallardoLU said:

(moon was an egg, creature upon birth immediately lays another egg... Huh!?! )

It's Doctor Who, it's not supposed to make sense!

21 minutes ago, quark12000 said:

And shouldn't we actually see some stories before we decide they deserve awards?  I, personally, love Capaldi's Doctor, but I need to see the stuff before I decide it's award worthy.

Nope, Peter Capaldi needs this because it's his last chance to win an NTA.