Sign in to follow this  
Elostirion

[ESL] Cotton Island, Salida Este, Ferro Azure

32472394991_20bd9441ac_b.jpg

A little to the northwest of Salida Este on Ferro Azure lies a small island. Geographically it belongs to Ferro Azure, and the island is not really worth mentioning. Below that island lies an
even smaller island, which they call the “Cotton Island”. That tiny island is owned by no other than the Fontonajo family, who made the once jungle-covered island arable and are growing
and selling their cotton, solidifying the MCTC monopoly on that resource.

31784000883_b89b66c514_z.jpg

32216017350_dc1c3be43a_b.jpg

32442450622_dc425c86cc_c.jpg

Some patches of jungle still show what the island once looked like. In the middle of the island a small creek springs.

32595416265_b10aa99490.jpg

The spring supplies the whole island through an irrigation system that Fontonajo’s men have developed. Cotton is a thirsty plant.

32472417561_992867f036_c.jpg

Many workers irrigate and harvest the cotton, storing it in big boxes at the wooden warehouse on the beach.

32595393375_732fbca376.jpg 32442474322_26cfd379fd_z.jpg 32216054920_cb8de6da33.jpg

Some workers are currently removing the last parts of jungle on the eastern coast of the island, to enlarge the arable land, so even more cotton can be planted.

31783240993_420fc59761.jpg

When Don Isaac Montoya heard of the plans to destroy even more of the beautiful and original vegetation of the island, he feared for the further existence of
plants and animals that might else be unknown to the world. Fontonajo granted permission to members of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy to come to
the island and preserve the wildlife. James Firming from Corrington, a well-known butterfly-catcher in the colonies, is currently hunting some of the beautiful
butterflies on the “Cotton Island”.

32442504112_8b4d9a4466.jpg

Marko big behind is the Custodian of the island, though he prefers to call himself Harbourmaster. Right now he is greeting Alvaro Bastici, owner of a textile factory
in Salida Este, a regular visitor to the “Cotton Island”. Bastici usually visits the island on his small sloop to manually select the best cotton for his factory.

31783248893_75e47c290e.jpg

On the northwestern shore, which the workers call the “Long Coconut Beach”, some coconut palms still stand, and sure profit can be made from harvesting and
selling those as well. Marcho, a tanned guy with curly hair, who surely has some ancestors from more southern lands than Eslandola, is a trained palmtree-climber.

32472461901_5630c4bc25_z.jpg 32554836816_3f88806aec.jpg

On the northern edge stands a small watchtower to guard the island from intruders. Or at least spot them. Sure, if a real raid from Mardier was to come, the one
guard most likely would not stand a chance, but if some lousy buccaneers were to come by, the people on the island know how to defend their cotton.

32595464225_dc947ee6f9.jpg

Will license this as a "Royal Plantation". Studcount: 158x118 = 18.664 > 16.384 = 128x128.

Some more pictures can be found in this flickr album. If you want to see a close-up of something else, just let me know.

31783255533_dd27a68173_b.jpg

32215980830_62e505cc8a_b.jpg

Edited by Elostirion

Excellent build! I love all the different activities you have depicted, and the irrigation system using the island's central spring. :thumbup:

OMG! This thing is huge! Again! And great too! So many details and so many eye candies! Good Job Elo!

(Although I don't feel totally convinced about the Royal Society's intentions to protect Cotton Island's butterflies by pinning them on a board... :tongue: )

Great! I could make a list of the great details but I'm just gonna say those guys taking apart the foliage in the back are my favourites:P

1 hour ago, blackdeathgr said:

(Although I don't feel totally convinced about the Royal Society's intentions to protect Cotton Island's butterflies by pinning them on a board... :tongue: )

I think they are collection them in that grey box there, not sure what they do with them afterwards. Maybe they taste good?

5 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

3 hours ago, Legostone said:

I think they are collection them in that grey box there, not sure what they do with them afterwards. Maybe they taste good?

Collect them, cage the, bring them to the safety of Corrington's towns, and put them in a bigger cage their. Or maybe just bring them to another island so they can live on (after images of them have been drawn, of course).

Wow!  I love the concept! :thumbup:  Very nice island, the irrigation system is ingenious and I really like all the different buildings!  The spring in the middle adds a lot too, and the rows of cotton are really pretty!

Wow. You are really great at these huge, detailed builds. A lot to like here, and good to see the Royal Society represented! Great job as usual!

Only 5 non-builder comments for this fantastic build?! *huh*

Beautiful plantation! :wub: The composition is amazing, the size and scale are incredible, and the number of cotton plants and water pieces is just mind-boggling. I like the irregular arrangement of the cotton rows, and the irrigation system is really nice. But I'm mostly impressed that you built a Royal-size plantation that's actually really good looking, since the nature of a plantation could lend itself to somewhat boring arrangements. Excellent work. :thumbup:

But I have to ask: approximately how many of those trans-blue pieces did you use for the water?

bricklinkorder.PNG

I didn't use all of those, approximately 3.000 left in the bag. However I had quite a few of them already at home, so I assume in total it's about 10.000 trans-light blue diamonds for the water.

Thanks for the very nice comments to all of you guys! :-) 

Edited by Elostirion

Wow! :wub_drool:  Beautiful and tasteful layout here, Elostirion, the idea of a complete island as the plantation was ingenious, and the irrigation system, spring, and transblue water are some of my favorite details about this piece!  As others have said, great job making such a large plantation quite interesting, and the inclusion of the boats and dock is an excellent idea!  And how much can you build in one month, sir?  Colour me impressed! :laugh: :grin:

Impressive plantation, Elos. I like the curved lines of cotton plants, the irrigation system, and different buildings and docks. However, most of all, I like the attention to the well-being of the wildlife! :pir-wink:

However, I do hope we will not suffer from global warming and rising water levels, as the island would surely sink entirely! But I suppose the "pictures" were taken at high tide? :pir-wink:

Oh my... How could I have missed this one !

An excellent island ! Great job ! I really like the way you built the watering system ! And what a bunch of trans clear blue studs ! Impressive !

I hope jungle will not answer aggressively towards your plantation like it did in Berelli against Oleon settlement... :tongue::laugh: and like Bregir, I hope we will not suffer a global warming. :laugh:

6 hours ago, Faladrin said:

I hope jungle will not answer aggressively towards your plantation like it did in Berelli against Oleon settlement... :tongue::laugh: and like Bregir, I hope we will not suffer a global warming. :laugh:

Your plants made for great target practice for our soldiers and with the new cannons from Oleon. :cannon: :pir_laugh2: But don't worry, we stored a few more plants to test a new type of ammunition against Corrish soldiers. :pir-sweet:

Anyways, nice build Elostirion. I love the use of all those jewel pieces. I also like the wooden warehouse.

38 minutes ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Marvellous, but don't say you've done something textile again? :wink:

Check the date of the latest comment before yours... :pir-wink:

wow. . . . this is a fabulous build so much detail ... the cotton depictions and the workers does look very convincing. even if it was from over a year ago lol . . . I'm glad he did comment on it so I could see the awesome irrigation system.

20 hours ago, Bregir said:

Check the date of the latest comment before yours... :pir-wink:

:laugh:  I did not intend to bump this one (although the quality of the MOC would justify doing so).

Now I wonder why I found this - it should not have been on the first pages that I was browsing through.. :pir-look: