o0ger

[MOC] LEGO City - House of Culture

This is a house where people meet and hang out, watch the latest indie band, record a demo, paint, or just grab a cup of coffee in the café. Welcome to the LEGO City House of Culture!
------------------------
The house is built on 2x2 Moduverse plates. (64x64 studs). About 4000 pieces. I've been wanting to use the big wing part as a roof for many years. But it took a contest (as always) to complete this project. I started sketching in LDD in april 2016 and began building it about a month ago. 

32446153331_433ae3ea42_z.jpg

LEGO City - House of Culture by o0ger, on Flickr

32527844806_58179be81d_z.jpg

32446167171_a951f08d60_z.jpg

31724898764_2ec1b1cc88_z.jpg

32446169681_d406fd213c_z.jpg

32189682980_34cd3b2eae_z.jpg

Edited by o0ger

A very good-looking building! Very modern and quite unusually shaped, but the subdued colors complement it nicely. And the use of airplane wings piece is NPU if I have ever seen one :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Huaojozu said:

Great modern style! Any chance for interior pics?

Thanks you! No interior shots, mostly because there is no interior. Just walls.

2 hours ago, imvanya said:

A very good-looking building! Very modern and quite unusually shaped, but the subdued colors complement it nicely. And the use of airplane wings piece is NPU if I have ever seen one :thumbup:

1 hour ago, peedeejay said:

That's a nice a clean design!

Thanks! It's exactly what I was going for. I just wanted a clean modern building.

Looks very cool. I have to say, I didnt recognize the airplane wings, so great use of them! I like the concept. Its not something you often see made in Lego and the execution is great. Also fun to see a punk hanging around the place as well :classic:

Very good apartment or office building. Great use of the Airplane wing. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I may have to steal the idea for a future MOC......

Very clever use of the airplane wings. Love how it blends with the facade of the building. Nice build up of minifig scale chess set. Awesome work man!

Wow. Very nice building and brilliant use of the aircraft wing.

The surroundings are also very well done. The benches and the bus stop especially.

On 2017-01-29 at 9:37 PM, Littleworlds said:

Looks very cool. I have to say, I didnt recognize the airplane wings, so great use of them! I like the concept. Its not something you often see made in Lego and the execution is great. Also fun to see a punk hanging around the place as well :classic:

Thank you! I wanted to build something modern and big. It's not something you see that often in LEGO Mocs. I also wanted to keep it clean and realistic.

Glad you like the punk. When I started to build the chess board the idea of a punk came to me. I think it's because I associate that to a character from the Millennium book series, Lisbeth Salander, the punk rock hacker genius badass :D. In the book "The Girl in the Spider's Web" Lisbeth beats some guy at chess just to break him down mentally before she interrogates him. I guess that scene just stuck. 

25443a1efce766e5c545c2338ca1fed7.jpg

On 2017-01-30 at 2:24 AM, darkhorse00 said:

Very clever use of the airplane wings. Love how it blends with the facade of the building. Nice build up of minifig scale chess set. Awesome work man!

16 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Wow. Very nice building and brilliant use of the aircraft wing.

The surroundings are also very well done. The benches and the bus stop especially.

15 hours ago, HarrisonWells said:

Wow, that looks amazing. Great use of the specialized plane wing piece.

14 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

Very cool, and npu with the wings!

10 hours ago, theycallmemrdarko said:

Wow, that looks great! Love the wings for the roof. The giant chess board out front is awesome, good job all around!

Thanks everyone! Really glad you like it!

On 2017-01-29 at 11:50 PM, Venunder said:

Very good apartment or office building. Great use of the Airplane wing. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I may have to steal the idea for a future MOC......

Hey, steal away! :) 

The house is looking very good, but the point here is the use of those wings..that is for sure... brilliant!! Was it your own idea, or did you borrow the idea?

1 hour ago, LegoSjaak said:

The house is looking very good, but the point here is the use of those wings..that is for sure... brilliant!! Was it your own idea, or did you borrow the idea?

Thank you! It is my idea to use the wings as roof. I got the idea in 2013 when I first bought the two wing-pieces for another MOC. I just sat there with the two wings in my hands and started thinking about other ways to use them. A roof just seemed obvious.

Also obvious for me, using the wings as roof. At least when I saw it in your MOC :laugh:

Congrats, very well done!

What is your next project? :wink:

6 hours ago, Zork said:

Also obvious for me, using the wings as roof. At least when I saw it in your MOC :laugh:

Congrats, very well done!

What is your next project? :wink:

Thanks Zork! Well, my next project is (probably) either a mech or a sci-fi micro city.

12 hours ago, o0ger said:

Thank you! I wanted to build something modern and big. It's not something you see that often in LEGO Mocs. I also wanted to keep it clean and realistic.

Glad you like the punk. When I started to build the chess board the idea of a punk came to me. I think it's because I associate that to a character from the Millennium book series, Lisbeth Salander, the punk rock hacker genius badass :D. In the book "The Girl in the Spider's Web" Lisbeth beats some guy at chess just to break him down mentally before she interrogates him. I guess that scene just stuck. 

25443a1efce766e5c545c2338ca1fed7.jpg

I have to admit, I haven't read the books (or watched the films), but from what I heard and saw, she is an amazing character. Alone the style and having an actress who really pulls it off - very cool :classic: