Sign in to follow this  
Lasse D

[GBC] Yellow Submarine

Here is a GBC mod of the LEGO Ideas set 21306 Yellow Submarine with The Beatles!

The XL motor runs on speed 1 or 2 (both will do, but speed 2 is better at handling batches of 50+ balls)

A closeup of the mechanism from outside:

NoAogNU.jpg

I'm quite satisfied with how well the "anti-jamming" mechanism works. I intend on making a separate module with all themechanism exposed so it's easier to see. But for now. Enjoy the Beatles :)

Edited by Lasse D

Wow! That's an impressive, and very amusing, module! I get a little seasick just looking at it! Clever loading mechanism too.
Could you add extra items that bob up and down out of phase with the submarine, such as fishes, on separate arms? And perhaps extend the 'water' further under the sub, with seafloor details, to make it really look alive.

Looks great - got one for Xmas and now on display but will be much better animated as a GBC module.
Looking forward to seeing close ups of the mechanism to find out how it works.

Great idea and GBC implementation. :thumbup:  I don't think I have my sea legs yet, I get all woozy watching at it.   :classic:

wow great module, its good to see some more GBC modules from you. do you still have your old  ones that you made?

19 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Wow! That's an impressive, and very amusing, module! I get a little seasick just looking at it! Clever loading mechanism too.
Could you add extra items that bob up and down out of phase with the submarine, such as fishes, on separate arms? And perhaps extend the 'water' further under the sub, with seafloor details, to make it really look alive.

Thanks. I was planning on having additional moving parts, but I am running out of place inside of the submarine. The slider for the pump takes up a lot of the free space, but it is also necessary in order to be robust. The plan was to have the periscopes rotate a little back and forth.

15 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Looks great - got one for Xmas and now on display but will be much better animated as a GBC module.
Looking forward to seeing close ups of the mechanism to find out how it works.

Thanks. I am planning to make a transparent model to better show the mechanism. It should be done this week so that it can be posted in the weekend. I can only take well lit pictures in the weekend since my work schedule clashes with the sunny hours :D

11 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Great idea and GBC implementation. :thumbup:  I don't think I have my sea legs yet, I get all woozy watching at it.   :classic:

Thanks. The next module should fix that. The pump itself will act as the inbox scrambler instead of the up-and-down moti9on.

10 hours ago, 9v system said:

wow great module, its good to see some more GBC modules from you. do you still have your old  ones that you made?

Yes. And I plan on fixing, updating and posting results for them as well.

Edited by Lasse D

VERY well done!  themed modules are always a great addition to any GBC Layout!

maybe some blue water.. or clouds could add a nice backdrop, or possibly hide the gears at the back?  although I still like the Beatles going up and down!

good job on the anti-jam... does it cause any excess wear on the 8t gears?

Your design for the output ball run has help me resolve an issue I had with a GBC I built where the balls kept slipping off the runway of a tipping arm section. Now works consitently.
Thanks.

If I should change the visuals of the module, it would be to include brightly colored lines like in the artwork of the film. It was really cool back then :)

I'm glad you like the updated pump design. Wear on the 8 tooth gears should be minimal as long as the jams are infrequent. I will know for sure once it has been running for some hours. Meanwhile. Here is a closeup of the mechanism:

pump_drive.png

Color coded:

- Green is the initial input shaft. With a direct connection to the XL-motor it can run on speed 1 of a train controller. Use gearings to reduce the speed for higher voltage or faster motors.

- Blue is the main pump arm with the "anti-jam" mechanism on one end and the piston consisting of fairly common parts.

- Gray are the non-moving parts. Notice how 1x1 round bricks are used to minimize jams when the red section moves back and forth. The 1 x 2 sloped bricks ensure balls don't get stuck in the corners and the horizontal round connecters are used to hold the red part in place. The liftarm 5 (half thickness) separates the incoming and outgoing balls. See the video for how to construct the casing.

- The red section must be given enough space to move 2 studs back and forth inside of the model.

The smaller transparent pump module is coming up. I just have to get some more parts.

That's a very nice and unusual GBC.  Perhaps it could be developed into a whole Yellow Submarine themed loop...

Hope to make this MOD.

Cannot identify the two blue parts each side of the diving ring ?

Do you have a part number or can you subsitute two 21mm dia wedge pulleys each side ?

They are 98585

I have just made a smaller module with only the pump mechanism and found that you can use the more common 41677 ( Technic, Liftarm 1 x 2 Thin ) together with 4185 ( Technic Wedge Belt Wheel (Pulley) )

This pump module is simple and I expect to put up instructions for it soon.

43 minutes ago, Lasse D said:

They are 98585

I have just made a smaller module with only the pump mechanism and found that you can use the more common 41677 ( Technic, Liftarm 1 x 2 Thin ) together with 4185 ( Technic Wedge Belt Wheel (Pulley) )

This pump module is simple and I expect to put up instructions for it soon.

Lasse,

Thanks for the info.

Doug