ElectroDiva

2017 Lego Trains

Whenever someone says red cargo train, I always first think of 4563.  Then I remember it's not the early 90's anymore, and it makes me a little sad.

I feel like LEGO can do something with the whole "get a train set and get smaller sets to add on". When I was little, I always played with GeoTrax. GeoTrax were multiple set-like toys where kids could get trains sets and add on to them. The thing that appealed to kids was the characters. Each train had their specific engineer, and each train was unique to it's engineer. I loved watching the episodes that came with the sets.

I feel like LEGO can do something like this, make sets but with each train is a specific character and you can make your own stories, or follow a series that is put online. Only downfall I could think of is that it won't appeal to the adults.

On 03/03/2017 at 4:54 PM, McWaffel said:

If I'm brutally honest, I'm kinda glad that we're probably not getting any new trains soon, because I really want the red cargo train, but I don't have money for that right now. I have to wait to the end of the year to buy it. So all fingers crossed, I can get the red cargo train and then I'm ready for new trains :D 

It's on sale at Amazon: Lego City 60098 Heavy Haul Train https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SDTYXGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_eIcWybTN4PHJ5

It's down to £109 for Prime members from £147.

As has been discussed before, sometimes this means nothing, other times it means that discontinuation is imminent. 

Edited by NotToScale

We should be getting the results of the first 2017 Ideas review soon.

I really hope the  Vintage Tram makes it: 

It's not strictly a train I know, but for me It would rescue an otherwise barren year for official train sets

Not sure if anyone has noticed but there is what appears to be a commuter train hiding in the background on the promotional photos on the second last page of 60169's #3 instruction book. Fingers crossed 
Edited by Busgineer

Will Lego reintroduce seperate carriages like the "my train line".

I only started collecting from 2007.

What about underground market where we can sell our own carriages with no instructions like pre built models (Model trains). The builder gets the cash for there build and the community will grow.

look at model railway magazines individual prebuilt models make good money plus the diversity.

l'm for Australia I would love to have a Australian locomotive/ passenger train in my collection. But I have never tried building a moc. (I'm lazy).

4 hours ago, Busgineer said:
   Not sure if anyone has noticed but there is what appears to be a commuter train hiding in the background on the promotional photos on the second last page of 60169's #3 instruction book. Fingers crossed 

wow, god spot

35620289376_3233c95e06.jpg

Edited by bradaz11

Just now, bradaz11 said:

wow, god spot

Hmm. Looks like a homage to 4558 Metroliner. Cool!

11 hours ago, OLERSHAW RAILS said:

Will Lego reintroduce seperate carriages like the "my train line".

I only started collecting from 2007.

What about underground market where we can sell our own carriages with no instructions like pre built models (Model trains). The builder gets the cash for there build and the community will grow.

look at model railway magazines individual prebuilt models make good money plus the diversity.

l'm for Australia I would love to have a Australian locomotive/ passenger train in my collection. But I have never tried building a moc. (I'm lazy).

No, Lego won't start selling individual carriages again. They just don't sell.

An underground market for pre-bult model? That exists. There's the MOC shop on Bricklink:

https://moc.bricklink.com/pages/moc/mocitem.page?idmocitem=2106

And you can find Lego MOCs on eBay and Catawiki.

Lego won't release an Australian train any time soon. Too much of a niche market I'm afraid.

18 hours ago, OLERSHAW RAILS said:

The trains which LEGO sells are not models but you can always find some similarities with existing rolling stock. I think that the red locomotive of the freight train 60098 is based on the Austrailian locomotive N457 or similar -  Loc on Railpictures.net - since there is some walkway on the outside between the two cabs and it's a diesel engine. With a bit of modding and some stickers it might look like a real Austrailian locomotive.

You can also pay someone on commission to build a model for you if you have more money than time & skills. 

On 02/07/2017 at 2:28 AM, bradaz11 said:

wow, god spot

With that red stripe it looks a bit like an ICE train:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercity-Express#

I know the buildings in these promo shots are usually one-offs, but does anyone know how often the vehicles end up as real sets? 

Wasn't there a cargo lift helicopter a few years back that ended up as a city set?

Honestly I hope that train spotted in the back isn't a real set. It just looks too similar to the red HST we got a few years ago. In my opinion, the last thing we should get after waiting so long should be a remake, not to mention the yellow cargo engine was remade into the Heavy Haul engine.

While I like the looks of HST's, I do think TLG has done too many of them in recent memory. I'm still holding out for a passenger train that's more... urbane?

Or Police train :laugh: Two of the most popular City themes, regarding to LEGO ...

PS: To me, that train in the back looks more like a hommage to the Metroliner. I would be very surprised if LEGO did a train with a rehash of that colour theme.

Edited by Capparezza

23 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

While I like the looks of HST's, I do think TLG has done too many of them in recent memory. I'm still holding out for a passenger train that's more... urbane?

Yep - I'd go for that.

A utilitarian workhorse that could be used overland or for a subway would do nicely.

Something like, oh I don't know, maybe the metroliner :)

On 7/4/2017 at 0:28 PM, ElectroDiva said:

Yep - I'd go for that.

A utilitarian workhorse that could be used overland or for a subway would do nicely.

Something like, oh I don't know, maybe the metroliner :)

I kinda think the Metroliner is done for, considering that not only did it get a re-release, but also on its original run it got that extra club car set. To see it for a third time wouldn't be unwelcome, but it would also suggest an ironic lack of new set ideas on TLG's part...

I'm currently hankering for passenger trains such as these:

34561668185_f3c1147f0d_m.jpgDMU 153 353 by The Original Whisky Galore, on Flickr

33707190624_5675a53151_m.jpgNarrow Gauge Streetcar in Porta Maggiore, #Rome, Italy by Tolga Erbora, on Flickr

And for some cross-theme appeal with Lego Friends' sets:

4017880585_1d20e922ef_m.jpgPrameks rasa anggur by Yulianto, on Flickr

The first one is my favorite, and the other two are good examples as well. I really like these because, in terms of building in lego, construction could stay fairly basic for younger builders as well as allow older builders the ability to acquire/build multiple units and make longer consists at a (theoretically) more affordable price.

Edited by M_slug357
images resized

I don't think the metroliner is coming back either - it would just be a very welcome surprise if it did.

The examples you posted would all make an interesting change of pace from the recent hi-speed passenger trains we've been getting.

Personally, I'd love it if they made a docklands light railway train

2846096248_652eb6b968_z.jpgDLR B07 Stock at Poplar by bowroaduk, on Flickr

Or a classic NY subway train

3974721633_4809cb6dfd_z.jpg?zz=1R-143 L train leaving Broadway Junction and heading towards Rockaway Boulevard by yankeesmann1918, on Flickr

Edited by ElectroDiva

Surprised the heavy haul train is retiring earlier than the blue cargo train (60052).

Anyhow, lots of people now expect new sets to arrive in 2018. It seems to fit the pattern

@Duq provided a good summary of that pattern on page 1 of this thread

On 7/11/2017 at 2:25 AM, ElectroDiva said:

Surprised the heavy haul train is retiring earlier than the blue cargo train (60052).

IIRC, the previous red cargo train (3677) was also retired before the main City cargo train of the day.

I think that in LEGO City, they should release a train with each sub - theme, like they do with things like helicopters.

This would mean that we could, going with the current sub - themes have:

A police train

A fire train

An airport train such as an airport shuttle 

Many More

And what about a Great Vehicles Train?

I really want more LEGO trains but I only have a few CITY trains (7938, 7939, 60051, 60052, 60098) and the Winter Holiday train.

On 11/07/2017 at 8:25 AM, ElectroDiva said:

Is it?

At least in the UK, the heavy haul train 60098 is still available.  It doesn't show any signs of retirement either.

Edited by Vilhelm22