ElectroDiva

2017 Lego Trains

I was wondering if one could get those train related parts, and indeed they are obtainable through LEGO Service. But a whopping 2,17 Euros for those brown sideskirts? Whoa... Train doors are not listed (yet, hopefully).

Hmm, world-wide iconic trains? The first in my mind would be Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends b/c it hits the nostalgia vein. I know TLG had a prior liscence with this property for Duplo a while back; Why did it end?

The 2nd most iconic to me is the "American" version(s) of 4-4-0's and 4-6-0's. There's one in almost every western movie or tv show, and there were a vast amount of liveries back in their heyday. 

In terms of train parts showing up in other themes, I still think the best way would be a train set in that theme! :)

I wonder if TLG will commit to the 4-wide track? Could be interesting to have that aforementioned tram be on the narrow guage track, like the streetcars in SanFran....

The whole "new power functions" kind of interest me. Any more info on it yet? Could you imagine if instead of IR they did bluetooth and gave it a smaller form factor?

42 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

The whole "new power functions" kind of interest me. Any more info on it yet? Could you imagine if instead of IR they did bluetooth and gave it a smaller form factor?

The education version is already out: wedo 2.0. It probably runs on less than 9V, the rechargable battery is included into the set. It uses BLE (bluetooth low energy) for communications. Currently there are no train motors avaible in the system.

I just read this topic for the first time and I very much share the concerns about future (?) Lego trains.

Having been a AFOL for Trains since 1992 (when Lego launched the 9V system), my collection basically covers all trains launched since then, including RC trains that are converted to 9V. Of course I am more than interested in expanding this collection with more trains over the years to come. Meanwhile, I will have to continue with own MOCs.

I don't have any insight knowledge about the decision process within TLG. Personally, I would still toprank the Santa Fe Superchief, simply because of the beautiful design - and the trains legendary status.

Now, there are many more examples of such legendary and world famous trains, not only from the past.

A year ago, I travelled with the world famous Glacier Express from St. Moritz to Zermatt in Switzerland. This is by far the most beautiful train I have ever seen - and I have seen many. My first thought was: imagine if this one were available in Lego! The design of the coaches and the locomotive is pretty much straight forward. The look and colours are simply spectacular and awesome.

I am sure this could be something equivalent to the SF, and certainly more successful than the HE (depending on pricing of course).

Why not a basic Creator set with options to buy additional coaches?

Glacier_Express_Banner[1] (320x133).jpg

Edited by Haddock51

That is indeed beautiful! It would be nice to have a set like that designed, maybe someone should make one on Ideas, although that's sadly not the best place for trains...

Two words: Erie. Triplex.

I just discovered this brute via a google search and it's crazy:

IMG_2724.JPG

2-8-8-8-2 Steam engine with the last -8-2 being under the tender. No idea how the crap this thing will fit R40, so....

But if they made this I would die (not before buying and building one of course)

Meh, while the Erie Triplex is cool and pretty awesome to watch on PennLug's layout and the most recent one built with the sand green boiler, they could not generate enough steam to take advantage of the 3rd set of driving wheels. 

Honestly, I don't think even a Creator set could capture the magnificence of the two MOC Triplexes that are out there right now. I don't think TLG would produce a train set with 2000+ pieces. (this is my guess for the number of pieces in these MOC's based on the fact that I am building an equally sized articulated steamer at a cool 2600 pieces.)

2 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Hey again,

Any news, rumors going on out there...?

Yeah, lots, but we're discussing it all in a secret thread that you can't see...

1 minute ago, Duq said:

Yeah, lots, but we're discussing it all in a secret thread that you can't see...

It's not really secret anymore then, is it? :laugh:

5 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Any news, rumors, or sales going on out there...?

Yeah, they're bringing back the My Own Train theme, reproducing the Maersk, Metroliner, and Emerald Night, making a new Creator Expert Shinkenshen, and making a 2-6-4 that can be made into and Allegheny if you buy 2.

If only...

Edited by BurkusCircus

3 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

lol!

Thanks fer the comedy @Duq and @BurkusCircus!!

Where are these secret convo's being held @ anyways?

Reddit?

You must answer me these questions three if the thread you wish to see. 

1: what is your name? 

2: what is your quest? 

3: what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? 

2 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

You must answer me these questions three if the thread you wish to see. 

1: what is your name? 

2: what is your quest? 

3: what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? 

1. Capparezza of the house of Eurobricks.

2. To find the holy secret convo.

3. What do you mean? An African or a European swallow?

1: Burkus Circus of Brickerington

2: To build the best model railroad ever

3: Distance covered by said swallow divided by the time required for the swallow to reach such distance.

4: (You forgot "What's your favorite color?" I spit in your general direction!) Camouflage

I've actually never seen all of Monty Python. Yes, I have a sad life...

If I'm brutally honest, I'm kinda glad that we're probably not getting any new trains soon, because I really want the red cargo train, but I don't have money for that right now. I have to wait to the end of the year to buy it. So all fingers crossed, I can get the red cargo train and then I'm ready for new trains :D 

On 3/3/2017 at 8:54 AM, McWaffel said:

If I'm brutally honest, I'm kinda glad that we're probably not getting any new trains soon, because I really want the red cargo train, but I don't have money for that right now. I have to wait to the end of the year to buy it. So all fingers crossed, I can get the red cargo train and then I'm ready for new trains :D 

Hasnt red cargo train been discontinued and out of stores for a couple years now? 

LEGO sure likes to use red for trains.  We'll probably see a red train in the future.  :wink:

8 hours ago, dr_spock said:

LEGO sure likes to use red for trains.  We'll probably see a red train in the future.  :wink:

And let's not all forget 7938, 7725, 10183, The Hogwarts Express...