ElectroDiva

2017 Lego Trains

12 hours ago, lanesteele240 said:

Lego is the only hobby that everyone has to make money off their ideas.  EVERY hobby that i have ever participated in other people kill theirselves to help you out and give support.  From ho/h/n/z scale trains, to model cars/plains, to warhamer 40k models, to sifi models.   They all want to help out to make the hobby better for everybody.  

But not lego.  Look at new build.  The instrctions are online for sale.  

Maybe the are models instruction for sale online, but most design are available for free, or just ask the author of the "new build". For example, I put online almost all of my LDD-models. I don't think many people want to rebuild my 8W trains, but they can get ideas and building tricks from those models.

17 hours ago, lanesteele240 said:

1. Im not the only one that feels that lego is killing off trains

2.  Lego is the only hobby that everyone has to make money off their ideas.  EVERY hobby that i have ever participated in other people kill theirselves to help you out and give support.  From ho/h/n/z scale trains, to model cars/plains, to warhamer 40k models, to sifi models.   They all want to help out to make the hobby better for everybody.  

But not lego.  Look at new build.  The instrctions are online for sale.  

I asked why you think Lego is killing off trains. "I'm not the only one" is not an answer to that question.

I have no idea what planet you live on. I don't know any hobby/fan community that is friendlier and more helpful than the AFOL community. On every Lego forum people are willing to _help_. Techniques and details of MOCs are shared and all people are looking for is recognition.

Where a lot of AFOLs draw the line is at the "can you do it all for me" question. The "I can't copy your MOC just from the photos, can you spend 40 hours to do detailed instructions for me" type of question.

58 minutes ago, Duq said:

I have no idea what planet you live on. I don't know any hobby/fan community that is friendlier and more helpful than the AFOL community. On every Lego forum people are willing to _help_. Techniques and details of MOCs are shared and all people are looking for is recognition.

Where a lot of AFOLs draw the line is at the "can you do it all for me" question. The "I can't copy your MOC just from the photos, can you spend 40 hours to do detailed instructions for me" type of question.

I actually found the original comment a little funny, since my friends and I were joking about rampant plagiarism in the railfan community a few days back. Many scale modelers offer it for free knowing that they aren't going to make profit off small advice! :laugh: Of course the most modelers get their stuff into magazines or books, where people have to pay money to get the content in them. Not too different to the AFOL community asking for money for some instructions. 

12 hours ago, StukaRT said:

So container size goes down to 10 lenght :/ Not compatible with the container cars from 7939 :/

eh? I said 60169 might be a good accompaniment for 60052 not 7939 :laugh:

Those 10x6 containers would easily fit two to a flatbed wagon

14 hours ago, StukaRT said:

So container size goes down to 10 lenght :/ Not compatible with the container cars from 7939 :/

No, but compatible with 7994 and 7992, even down to the underside connections.
Unfortunately, 7939 had 6x12 and 6x24 containers, and then there's Maersk with 6x16. I wish Lego had stayed constant with container lengths.

Perhaps the next cargo train set will feature this 6x10 as well, to continue some form of compatibility.

On 2/8/2017 at 4:51 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

Honestly, if all you want is an Emerald Night turned into a holiday train, just take an emerald night, replace the dark green with green, and add a few little holiday frills here and there, and probably some red wheels.

Oops! Wasn't clear! Meant to say any tips for people who want to combine 2 Holiday Train Engines into 1...

2 hours ago, BurkusCircus said:

Oops! Wasn't clear! Meant to say any tips for people who want to combine 2 Holiday Train Engines into 1...

Oh.  Well my advice is put the train motor, batteries, and ir receiver all in the tender

On 08/02/2017 at 10:51 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

-If you use a PF train motor, replace the O-rings with ones from an auto part store. This makes a HUGE difference. A while ago I turned the santa fe train and 5 cars into a power function train, and the wheels couldn't get grip with the stock O rings.

Could you please elaborate on those O-rings? Do you mean the orange piece of train motor assembly that has almost perfectly round cross section? Are those interchangeable? With what? 

I was always wondering why is it like that instead of typical technic axle slot. Do any of you know the reason? 

3 hours ago, Mestari said:

Could you please elaborate on those O-rings? Do you mean the orange piece of train motor assembly that has almost perfectly round cross section? Are those interchangeable? With what? 

I was always wondering why is it like that instead of typical technic axle slot. Do any of you know the reason? 

I mean the rubber rings around the wheels

For 2017/2018 I really want to see a high speed passenger train that is not made out of giant useless nose-parts. I hate those so much! Or I would like to see a retro passenger thing, like the Santa Fe or something similar. Steam train would also be nice, maybe a Cargo Steam Engine? 

1 hour ago, McWaffel said:

For 2017/2018 I really want to see a high speed passenger train that is not made out of giant useless nose-parts. I hate those so much! Or I would like to see a retro passenger thing, like the Santa Fe or something similar. Steam train would also be nice, maybe a Cargo Steam Engine? 

I'm personally exhausted with high speed passenger trains... It's a monstrous task to get those nose shapes to look right and fit TLG's 6 wide standard via brick-built noses, which is why they make those one-time use large parts in the first place. This is why I'd say we need more urban/commuter style passenger service instead of express/cross-country service!

Also, I'm not really banking on a steam engine for a while due to that WV train set, although it'd be a pleasant surprise. If you look at the two prior steam engine offerings, those where both produced as movie tie-ins. So, unless some kid-friendly movie that features a steam engine in it is coming out later this year, that TLG is making merchandise for... probably no steam :/

Fingers are crossed that I'll be proven wrong tho!

I would love to see another american diesel locomotive. An american steam locomotive? Very doubtful. How about the Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy 4014? Hey, I can dream too.

Edited by 22kane
Got off topic

On 10/02/2017 at 6:49 PM, M_slug357 said:

I'd say we need more urban/commuter style passenger service instead of express/cross-country service!

Yep - I'd be very happy with a re-release of the Metroliner or Santa Fe :)

18 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

I don't think we'll see too many direct re-releases, but I wouldn't mind a good re-imagining of good sets like those! I think something along the lines of 7740 or 7715 from the 12V days could use a re-working with  modern day elements.

I wonder how well a 'mega' train set would do sales-wise?

Meaning a larger set ((not two separate train sets put into one box)), priced upwards of $250-$350 usd, that contained:

-two engines, preferably one large (like maersk) and one small (a shunter), or two medium sized ones,

-around 5 to 8 wagons, a mix of freight & passenger,

-enough track for two loops, about 60,

-around 2-3 trackside structures and 2-3 auxiliary vehicles,

-lastly, about 6-12 minifigs

In total, around 3,000 parts I'd imagine.

Basically, something a lot more robust than the typical under $200 usd sets.

6 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Meaning a larger set ((not two separate train sets put into one box)), priced upwards of $250-$350 usd, that contained:

-two engines, preferably one large (like maersk) and one small (a shunter), or two medium sized ones,

Honestly, I could get behind this idea. They have $600+ sets in stuff like the Star Wars category, so this wouldn't be anywhere near Lego's price "limit". Maybe a yard type thing, a relatively large oval with a yard in the center. For engines a SW-7 and a PA-2 with a dozen or so freight cars (12-15 range) plus a caboose. For structures, maybe a switching tower and an unloading deck. Also an End-of-Track Bumper for each siding.

Likely cost? $324.99 USD

I have a feeling that this thread is about to get really interesting. In a good way.

Edited by BurkusCircus

21 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

Hmmm... as the Metroliner has seen already 1 rerelease (as Set No. 10001), I can't see that happening anytime soon. I bet the sales would skyrocket, if LEGO did that, but I'm also inclined to think that they do not want another rerelease of something already done twice.

Santa Fe however would be nice, as the first release of those sets happened in my Dark Ages. Also, it would bring down second hand prices a bit.

I still suspect LEGO won't be doing any train sets this year. At least no new locos and wagons, maybe some trackside structures as the only remaining train station has gone out of business.

26 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

Hmmm... as the Metroliner has seen already 1 rerelease (as Set No. 10001), I can't see that happening anytime soon. I bet the sales would skyrocket, if LEGO did that, but I'm also inclined to think that they do not want another rerelease of something already done twice.

Santa Fe however would be nice, as the first release of those sets happened in my Dark Ages. Also, it would bring down second hand prices a bit.

I still suspect LEGO won't be doing any train sets this year. At least no new locos and wagons, maybe some trackside structures as the only remaining train station has gone out of business.

Sorry to disappoint you but I remember that the sales of the 10001 rerelease of the Metroliner in 2001 did not skyrocket.  I actually bought mine heavily discounted at the end of it's run (I had missed out with the original one on initial release).  As you can see from my signiture, I ended up modifying it to go with become my VIA Rail consist.  The loco is a recolored and slightly modernized version of the Santa Fe F-unit (Power-function powered).  I still have a baggage car to make with the parts that are left but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

Sorry, signatures deactivated completely on my side :laugh: Some are just too big and take up too much screen estate, but I'll have look at it through your profile.

Well, it seems 2001 was a difficult year for LEGO Train products. The "My Own Train" sets also appeared that year and didn't sell that well. Nevertheless, I do still think that there is a chance for good sales if they would rerelease the Metroliner once more, seeing that more and more AFOLS coming out of their Dark Ages do want those MOT & Metroliner sets. Remember that 2017 is not 2001. Still, I cannot see LEGO doing a 2nd rerelease (not only because of the mediocre sales of the first run). And I also don't have any hopes of seeing another "My Own Train" instance, even if I'd love to buy more seperate cars from LEGO directly instead of bricklinking those.

I guess a new train station (or maybe the return of the last iteration) might be feasible.

Edited by Capparezza

19 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

I'm not sure how well a mega "starter" set like that would do. Lego already seem to have hit a sweet spot in terms of size / complexity / price with their current starter sets. That's why we have 3 of them on sale at the same time :)

I would much rather see them fill out the line with individual locos, carriages/wagons and buildings in the $30 - $100 range.   That would allow kids and adults alike to add to their starter sets according to their own budget.

At the top end, I'd love to see them add a flagship "UCS" set every 2-3 years at $250+ to anchor the line (like pretty much every other theme these days).

They could use the huge piece count this allows to produce a really outstanding, detailed loco and 3-4 carriage/wagon set, top notch railway building set (imagine getting Grand Central, St Pancras or Gare du nord :) or even a niche system that would appeal to enthusiasts (e.g. monorail, light railway, subway, tram)

18 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

Nevertheless, I do still think that there is a chance for good sales if they would rerelease the Metroliner once more, seeing that more and more AFOLS coming out of their Dark Ages do want those MOT & Metroliner sets. 

Re- releases of those classic sets would be fantastic for people who missed out, but I would be equally happy with completely new creator expert type sets.

Just something more detailed than we get in the endless starter sets really

On 2/6/2017 at 3:23 AM, ElectroDiva said:

10254 sold well? That surprises me. 

I must admit, I didn't pick it up because it was too basic for my tastes and I already had a few other steam trains.

I think it was a big hit due to most holiday sets are very popular, at least over the past few years and it was the most affordable full Lego train set to date. You got a full circle of track and could add PF if you wanted but it wasn't necessary. It was a great gift for children and I wouldn't be surprised if it stays on for 2-3 years. Unfortunately the market for the "adult trains" is not huge or highly profitable when compared to many other sets in the Lego catalog and it's more of a Lego cult thing. I remember seeing Emerald Night and the Maersk set on the Lego store shelves for at least a year, if not longer. They eventually went to clearance at my local Lego store. Anyway, the Holiday Train set (10254) was a big seller for Lego and I don't think its going away anytime soon. Just look at the amount of reviews on the Lego website. It's up to 49 at this point which is a very high number and it's currently on back-order! I wouldn't be surprised if they continue the trend for a long time to come.