Murdoch17

CITY railroad ferry set - 60119 MOD

This mod is provided with opening (and locking!) doors, removable roof for the Captain / crew, and space for the number of the ship featured on the doors' exposed studs. (Unfortunately the printed tiles required are not available in LDD) I also added some height to the walls to keep the imaginary water (as the boat does NOT really float) out. ,and I extended the bridge's length by about double it's original amount of studs to make it a little less cramped.

32447478851_24cdf5bcc0_z.jpg

This ferry allows for three and 1/2 space of track, which isn't much, but is more than my original inspiration for this MOD, set 343 from 1968's blue track 4.5v era. Also, it uses up two of the annoying flex tracks!

32447479601_df56be6aab_z.jpg

The doors open and shut, and with the included Technic pins (hidden in the pictures) allows for it to stay shut.

32529148216_c4c2e1dc46_z.jpg

The roof of the cabin comes off, allowing for access to the inside of the bridge.

32190954030_6531d5a547_z.jpg

The loco seen is NOT included in the LDD file, but is merely to show off the 3 1/2 tracks worth of space for the placement of rail cars / engines.

The LDD file is available here, if you want it. As usual, comments, questions, and complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

That's a cool and unusual mod of the set!

Which technic pins are you using for the door lock? If the full 2m long ones are used, I don't think you will be able to open it at all without dismantling the door entirely, or is that the point?
Also, if the doors open like that, how it the track on board supposed to join up to the track on land? Would the doors open and then the ferry dock? I know some train ferries used drawbridge-like contraptions at the harbour to allow loading and unloading. However, these were only ever used for wagons, locomotives being deemed too heavy for the boat and link.

I feel I have been too critical now! Sorry!:grin:

4 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

That's a cool and unusual mod of the set!

Which technic pins are you using for the door lock? If the full 2m long ones are used, I don't think you will be able to open it at all without dismantling the door entirely, or is that the point?
Also, if the doors open like that, how it the track on board supposed to join up to the track on land? Would the doors open and then the ferry dock? I know some train ferries used drawbridge-like contraptions at the harbour to allow loading and unloading. However, these were only ever used for wagons, locomotives being deemed too heavy for the boat and link.

I feel I have been too critical now! Sorry!:grin:

Thanks, and you are not being too critical, as I didn't think about the door pins. (I will replace them with 1 x 2 pins with stud like this when built in real life) If it were a real ship, the doors would not go all the way down to the waterline, but just to the dock height, so it could possibly sail a short distance with the doors open (the ship would be much taller and further away from the water if it were real, but this is Lego so sacrifices had to be made to make it work and still be cheap.) As for the locomotive being carried by the ferry, I just had it used because it fit and wasn't too far away in my recent model files. I could have put two freight cars on there, but I didn't.

343-1.jpg

Anyway, here is the only other train ferry I've ever seen, from 1968.

Edited by Murdoch17