Ayrlego

[COR - Jan FB3] The Department of Time, Mooreton Bay

This is my take on @Bregir's excellent Department of Time concept. I really liked the idea last year when he posted it, I feel it is really appropriate for our great nation! Thus I have always been planning one for Mooreton Bay! This build is a modification of a medieval tower I built for Lands of Roawia, but in actual fact I had planned the bell tower first... Anyway I have been duel purposing alot of builds of late, but my build list has so much in it, and my building time has shrunk as I have started a new role with longer hours at work. I hope no body minds, but I figure I have to be smart if I'm to build everything I want! :pir-grin:

Anyway here is the build, with the description of the Department of Time by Bregir below. UPDATED PIC WITH NEW ROOF AS SUGGESTED IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!

32583260116_68df83422d_c.jpg

ORIGINAL VERSION FOR COMPARISON:

31738209233_cdb79d91f9_n.jpg

On 09/02/2016 at 9:39 PM, Bregir said:

In every Corlander settlement, where sound scientific principles guide all aspects of everyday life, knowing the time of day is all-important. It guides meals, working hours, arrival and departure of ships and post-chaises, and sets the framework upon which meetings and the like can be coordinated. However, as timepieces are a costly affair, and often unwieldy to carry, most Corlander settlements have an office of the Department of Time, including Arlinsport on Tiberia. To outsiders, typically those from Oleon, these offices are often mistaken for temples, giving rise to many a surprise when seeking spiritual stimulation.

Each office has appointed one Keeper of Time (a most respected position in Corrington culture), as well as a number of assistants, tasked with keeping the time. This is done through a series of measures, the most important being the daily noon-reading, where the sun reaching is highest point in the sky indicates noon. The clocks, timepieces and hour glasses of the office are then all reset according to this. However, the fine timepieces of Corlander engineering rarely needs adjustment, and the diligent attendance to the hour glasses of the assistants ensures great accuracy, so that even in periods where no reading of the sun can be made, time is kept close to perfect.

Each hour is heralded by ringing of the big bell, while the small bell denotes the quarters. By these measures, Corlander settlements can be managed in a timely, scientific manner.

Licensed as a small art and culture building in Mooreton Bay.

Edited by Ayrlego

I totally missed Bregir's thread. But I'm amazed by the idea. That's a brilliant expression of applied science that has actual value for nautical matters.

I never paid much attention to the science aspect of Corrington. But right now I get a whole new understanding of this part of Corrington's culture.

I can think of so many new story plots at the moment based on this. 

About your build I want tosay that the architecture isn't what I usually expect for Corrington buildings- but I find it fitting nonetheless! You made a great interpretation of Bregir's build and the tower is really impressive. I imagine it must be an outstanding sight in every Corrington town. 

Wonderful job redcoats!

Edited by Jacob Nion

Great take on Bregir's concept, the height is satisfying and the inset sections look really good.  The white adds a lot too!  Well done! :thumbup: 

I appreciate the concept of this and how this ties into a faction wide identity.   And I love the tower build/detail/colouring... except for the roof.  The dome gives it a middle eastern look, and I am not sure it was the right choice for a COR colony.  I did a quick google check (e.g. Kingston Jamaica clock and bell towers) and the all seem to have peaked or flat parapet roofs.  If you had replaced the dome with a four slope roof, or removed the dome and left it flat, I think it would have come off beautifully.

A very nit picky personal opinion and I apologize for that, but I figured I'd give you my honest first impression.

Edited by Kwatchi

A very nice and sleek build. MOCs like that really make BOBS shine! And regarding dual-building, think of it as: what would those early middle ages buildings look like, a few centuries ahead. :tongue:

Excellent bell tower! You've got a nice assortment of details that others have commented on. I had been working on a lighthouse, and this gives me some ideas I can incorporate there. And I'm always interested to see how people build bells in Lego.

I will join Kwatchi on his nitpick: the dome is what feels out of place for Corrington architecture. But I still love the build! :thumbup:

On 29/01/2017 at 3:08 AM, Kwatchi said:

I appreciate the concept of this and how this ties into a faction wide identity.   And I love the tower build/detail/colouring... except for the roof.  The dome gives it a middle eastern look, and I am not sure it was the right choice for a COR colony.  I did a quick google check (e.g. Kingston Jamaica clock and bell towers) and the all seem to have peaked or flat parapet roofs.  If you had replaced the dome with a four slope roof, or removed the dome and left it flat, I think it would have come off beautifully.

A very nit picky personal opinion and I apologize for that, but I figured I'd give you my honest first impression.

On 30/01/2017 at 8:02 AM, Capt Wolf said:

Excellent bell tower! You've got a nice assortment of details that others have commented on. I had been working on a lighthouse, and this gives me some ideas I can incorporate there. And I'm always interested to see how people build bells in Lego.

I will join Kwatchi on his nitpick: the dome is what feels out of place for Corrington architecture. But I still love the build! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the comments. On consideration, I think Kwatchi and Capt Wolf are correct. I was hoping for the domed look more like you'd see in Italian/Southern French Mediterranean type styles, but it has come off more middle-eastern. Not sure why I didn't think of it before, but here is the build modified with a more appropriately 'Corrish' roof! :pir-laugh:

32583260116_68df83422d_c.jpg

Beautiful bell tower! :wub: The overall design is fantastic. I'm studying the look, and just might incorporate some elements into a tower of my own. The color scheme is really good as well, and I like that bell - what we can see of it, anyway. :thumbup:

I like both roof techniques, although the second design probably is more fitting for Corrington overall. But... who's to say we can't have domes? :tongue:

It's great to see @Bregir's concept being fleshed out a bit more. I've been wanting to do a bell tower for King' s Harbour and just haven't gotten around to it... :pir-wink:

And if a chef would just hurry up and invent pizza already I'd do the Leaning Tower too... :pir-laugh:

Much improved version of my original idea, Ayrlego! The tower is stunning, and its bells will surely supply temporal enlightenment far and wide! Over time, I hope all settlements will benefit from the enlightenment of time.

Also, I liked both roofs, and really don't appreciate foreigners telling us what is appropriate, and what is not, for Corlander architecture! :pir_tong2::pir-wink: