Today I present to you all my thoughts on 75173 Luke's Landspeeder! Photos are from brickset.com.

tn_75173_alt1_jpg.jpg   75173-1.jpg?201611300919

Remakes, remakes, remakes. This is a remake of the 2014 Mos Eisley Cantina's Landspeeder, and they look really similar, minus some minor aesthetic changes.

75173 Luke's Landspeeder

The newer one is on the left and the older one is on the right. Perhaps only the addition of macaroni tiles and dark red astromech heads are the differences visible at first glance.

You get 4 minifigures: Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi, C-3PO, and a Tusken Raider.

tn_75173_alt5_jpg.jpgtn_75173_alt4_jpg.jpgtn_75173_alt6_jpg.jpgtn_75173_alt7_jpg.jpg

These have all appeared before. Oh, more remakes! Luke previously came in the Death Star, Obi-Wan in the Mos Eisley Cantina and the Death Star, C-3PO in the Droid Escape Pod and the Death Star, and the Tusken Raider in the Skyhopper. Luke looks good, getting the balance between simple and detailed just right, in my opinion. Ben is mediocre. His hair is rather plain and the leg printing is pretty bad. C-3PO is a good minifigure, but really needs dual-moulding for his right leg. The Tusken Raider is a good minifigure as always, but the head might be just a little oversized.

tn_75173_alt2_jpg.jpg  tn_75173_alt3_jpg.jpg

Here is the landspeeder. All hail the glorious macaroni tiles on the front! The engines look good with the addition of the dark red droid heads too. Engine detailing relies on stickers wrapped all around. I like the tubes on the front, but that is an old technique. There is seating for two plus space for Threepio at the back near the central engine, which can be lifted up to reveal a hidden storage area.

All in all, I think this is a good-looking set, but it largely rides on the success of the previous Landspeeder. This does have minor aesthetic changes which do help it to look better, but remaking a speeder in just 3 years and not changing much isn't that great. If they couldn't find much to improve, they should've waited a couple more years before rereleasing it. Also, at 149 pieces, the value is worse than other $24.99 sets.

Verdict? Get it if you don't have the 2014 Landspeeder AND if it is on discount. I probably won't be getting this, considering I'm going to get 75159.

Edited by VaderFan2187

Just now, Cyh Naan said:

Thank you for this review, this set is on my wish list, especially for the minifigs.

No problem at all :)

It's a good set for those who don't have the 2014 Landspeeder, but I think a discount would make it have better value.

I don't have any previous landspeeders and the only mini figure I have is 3-po. So the set seems really good. Tusken looks good, though part of me kind of liked the old plain minifigure heads from the old sets and video games. But he is a good minifigure overall. My only problem is the top of his staff looks a little to blunt for my liking. The other minifigures are good and classic too. I may pick it up if it goes on sale. The wave has several other good sets, so this one may unfortunately get overshadowed. But if it I see it on sale towards the end of the year I may buy it.

I like this, is there room for Artoo to lie on his side?, on the rear wth Threepio.

On 29/01/2017 at 10:11 AM, r5-j2 said:

I like this, is there room for Artoo to lie on his side?, on the rear wth Threepio.

He cannot lie down, but he can stand sideways.

7 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

He cannot lie down, but he can stand sideways.

That would work for me, thanks VaderFan!

Thanks for the review, think I mainly want this for the minifigs.