Magma

[MOC] Problem In Experimental Reactor #3

Hi all.

I don't think I've posted something in this sub-forum before, but here is a MOC I made last September for our monthly LUG build challenge, the theme was Futuristic.  And there is nothing more futuristic than Futuron!

Problem in Experimental Reactor #3

"Those crazy Futuron Scientists and their Experimental Reactors will be the death of us all!" - Unknown Classic Space Engineer

31590888734_cd8c90511d_b.jpgProblem In Experimental Reactor #3 Photo1 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

32433928655_54623ef5bc_b.jpgProblem In Experimental Reactor #3 Photo2 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

32056298550_fc262b33a1_b.jpgProblem in Experimental Reactor #3 Photo3 by Magma Xenoliths, on Flickr

I really enjoyed building this one - Classic Space/Futuron was my favourite as a kid.  I'd been impressed with someone's spaceship MOC that used Electro-Luminescent wire for a lighting effects and bought some of it to try out for myself.  I also had a bunch of trans-blue pieces from buying several Space Police 3 main ships and sooner or later was going to do a Futuron MOC - this reactor was the result.   The EL wire actually spirals up in a helix through the middle of the tower, which may not be obvious from photos.  The wire itself fits almost perfectly into a 1x1 plate with clip piece, so I just connected it at each level on different sides to keep it in position.   The reactor "wall" and the observation room are inspired by pictures I'd seen of early atomic reactors - and maybe a bit of The China Syndrome movie too.  And obviously Classic Space folk are keeping an eye on these Futuron engineers and their strange experimental technology.... ;-)

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Magma

This MOC proves that you don't need a lot of greebling (or none at all) for a clean and convincing look. Terrific work!

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

It remember me the video game half life! :thumbup:

lol, first thing that popped into my head as well! :laugh:

Just love seeing NCS builds. :sweet:

Awesome, love the facial expressions you selected. I like the simpleness of the walls because it makes the activity and blue tower more prominent. The overall design is nice with the observation room up high and the various elements spread throughout. My favorite part was the area where they removed the tiles to gain access to the problem, has a very real feel to it.

Very well done. I've been wanting to build my own space lab/base/hangar and this is definitely something to look at for inspiration.

The walls have a nice clean look (this may be my hardest part to figure out, smooth with some detail or over detail). The reactor is very clever. I'm too much of a purist to use anything non-LEGO, but it works to great effect here.

The facial expressions add a lot to the build, but for some reason I love using the classic yellow smiley in builds. Too much nostalgia for me I guess.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.  

On 26/01/2017 at 4:59 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful work!:wub:

It remember me the video game half life! :thumbup:

Heh - someone else said that to me when I first showed it to them.  I have to admit I barely played any HL1 (HL2 I played right through), but I'm sure it is in my subconscious influences!

On 27/01/2017 at 1:16 AM, Kodan Black said:

My favorite part was the area where they removed the tiles to gain access to the problem, has a very real feel to it.

Cheers - I've been in a few data centres in my time and drew on that a bit.  Plus it makes it a bit more visually interesting to have things on different levels.

On 27/01/2017 at 2:48 AM, TheLegoDr said:

The walls have a nice clean look (this may be my hardest part to figure out, smooth with some detail or over detail). The reactor is very clever. I'm too much of a purist to use anything non-LEGO, but it works to great effect here.

The facial expressions add a lot to the build, but for some reason I love using the classic yellow smiley in builds. Too much nostalgia for me I guess.

Thanks - I did try and limit the amount of features on the grey walls - the white reactor parts were always going to be very clean looking and I didn't want the walls to be so "busy" that they distracted from the reactor centrepiece.  But I didn't want them completely featureless either.  I have a lot of respect for those builders who build those complicated hanger walls, it takes a bit of time. 

The classic yellow smiley in a CS or Futuron figure is dear to my heart, but I do enjoy using the different expressions in scenes to help convey a story.  I have far more yellow minifigure heads than fleshies, so they tend to get used. 

Thanks again everyone.