Boxing Day?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Boxing Day?

• 5. Excellent
    • 4. Good
    • 3. OK
    • 2. Poor
    • 1. Horrid

This one looks solid... both models ... and is also a part of the combination model this summer...

what should i do?

on a side note , these should be on sale next week hmm... i wonder

On 3/8/2017 at 6:57 PM, Sprites said:

This one looks solid... both models ... and is also a part of the combination model this summer...

what should i do?

on a side note , these should be on sale next week hmm... i wonder

I finally decided to sit down and build this and wouldn't you know it, the set's missing 2 parts right off the bat (a small # of steps in).  I'm 0/2 with my last purchases of 42053 and 42063 for complete sealed sets.  

On 2/1/2017 at 9:04 AM, Victor Imaginator said:

Thanks for review, enjoyed reading) Also get inspired to build my own BMW from parts that i have. I made it almost full black, with racing wheels, changed bodywork a little because i don't have some of the parts. And no boxes, i just don't like them)

sorry that I did not find time to read this tread and reply so late, but really cool black model. Hope to see it with black rims :thumbup:

On 20/03/2017 at 1:53 PM, teos said:

I finally decided to sit down and build this and wouldn't you know it, the set's missing 2 parts right off the bat (a small # of steps in).  I'm 0/2 with my last purchases of 42053 and 42063 for complete sealed sets.  

That's odd. Really odd. I haven't had a missing part for years; my last was EV3. I'm assuming you've asked for the parts from TLG....?

On 3/27/2017 at 11:26 AM, Siegfried said:

That's odd. Really odd. I haven't had a missing part for years; my last was EV3. I'm assuming you've asked for the parts from TLG....?

Lego and I have an odd relationship.  I love their products, but they don't like me enough to send me replacements when requested, so I stopped asking years ago.  It's easier to order from a BL store then to wait for nothing from Lego.  Many other peoples experiences seem to differ from mine.

I'm currently building this set. I love it so far, the engineering is awesome. I'm very impressed with the Telelever front end, and it's just the right scale....

(Build it like a streetfighter. Leave the fairings off for some extra cool-factor)

33750743255_e1966cb95c_b.jpg

Edited by Rare White Ape

I would have posted this sooner but I was busy riding the real one around the country. Now I get to carry a spare bike with me :)

DSC_1611.jpg
DSC_1613.jpg
DSC_1614.jpg
DSC_1615.jpg

I should have opened a 42063 MOD thread for this, but I don't think there would be many mods, I'd share it here.

The 42063 B model springs bugs me. The springs are 6.5L long, but are connected to 6L long, so they are always compressed. This causes the connector at the ends of the spring bend backwards. I fix that by extending the connection points by 0.5L.

20180511_213010

Now the springs are more relaxed and everyone is happy :sweet:

17 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The 42063 B model springs bugs me. The springs are 6.5L long, but are connected to 6L long, so they are always compressed. This causes the connector at the ends of the spring bend backwards. I fix that by extending the connection points by 0.5L.

[...]

Now the springs are more relaxed and everyone is happy :sweet:

Nice finding, but I afraid that a new part won't slip off from these connectors once.

3 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Nice finding, but I afraid that a new part won't slip off from these connectors once.

I don't get it. What do you mean?

I'm in the void too. Care to explain?

Sure thing. Look at that LBG Axle and Pin 3L Perpendicular Connector that holds the top end of the shock absorber, its movement is limited only by the friction provided by the axle parts of black pole reverse handles. I afraid that only friction is not enough here and after some N-th change of the "wings" position (while the spring is pushing up this construction), the 3L connector just will start moving on these axles.

I see what you mean :thumbup:

However, the 3L connector won't be able to move upwards, due to the size of the spring. So it's limited by that as well, right?

The general idea is to make the springs more relaxed, so I intentionally let the top of the pole reverse handles open to allow movement of the grey connector.

Besides, the axle of the reverse handles isn't the place with lowest friction. It's the axle hole of the reverse handles/ When I flip the wings up and down, the reverse handles will bend backwards a bit during the flip.

Thanks for the review!

I got this set too. But I must admit it rather disappointed me.
- It's not a boxer, more a flat V2. The cylinders are exactly opposed, they should be offset to allow for.. well the whole BOXER thing.
- The rear suspension is not a paralever. It's just a single arm with 2 cardans.
- The mechanical setup of the pseudo telelever front suspension would actually negate the mechanical advantage of the design: the front will plunge on braking with such an angle.
- The caster angle is way to big.
- The side boxes open in such a way that a huge amount of inner space is lost.
- The exhaust is non-existent under the bike and the silencer is attached to the rear arm.
- With boxes removed, the rear is to thin, with a clumsy transversal structure protruding.
- The handlebars and the whole windshield headlight structure is a bit flimsy.
- The disc brakes are poorly modelled.

For me, this set is more a nice looking toy than a engineer's design. I'm okay with this in general, but owning 2 BMW boxer bikes, I can tell that that it's definitely not the mindset of BMW. And thus, I'm not happy with this set.
I've started modding mine and got rid of the flimsiness of the top structure, changed the disc brakes, fixed the exhaust and the side boxes, fixed the rear. But this is kinda pointless unless I also fix the engine, the telelever and paralever, which is another level of redesign, so I gave up for now.