Name: BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Number: 42063
Theme: Technic
Year: 2017
Pieces: 603
Price: Euro 49.99€, AUD $89.99
Brickset: Extra Info

Technic Early 2017 Review Series

Welcome to the fifth in my batch of 2017 Technic reviews! I was offered all the small sets early 2017 for review late last year... but I ended up getting them all! Thus I have a lot to review. I've been doing them in parallel and changing my process as I go so hopefully the latter ones will end up being the best. On that angle I'll probably retcon some of the earlier reviews if I improve my process. Due to this remember that I'm happy to take extra photos or provide extra info on request, and anything especially good will be added to the main body of the review. Do note though that sometimes the model may no longer exist if I have have made an alternate. On the subject of alternates, I will be making the alt model, if I have the instructions, think the model is worth making, and I have the time. Also I'll show mid stage construction only if I think it's relevant. Thus don't ask for construction photos or alt models if they aren't part of the review.... I am prepared to extract parts for detail photos though. Photos will all be hosted on Flickr so larger versions are available, and relevant videos will be on YouTube and linked to from here. I don't edit photos much; very rarely I'll crop one and almost never will "correct" them so the photos should be as natural as possible. I will try to not be repetitive; thus it's worth reading my other reviews. For example I'm not going to complain too much about the digital instructions; I'll try to complain about new things, or maybe not complain at all!

Here's all the other reviews of H1 2017 Technic...

42057 Ultralight Helicopter 
42058 Stunt Bike 
42059 Stunt Truck (and 45058/42059 Combiner) 
42060 Roadwork Crew 
42061 Telehandler 
42062 Container Yard 
42063 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure 
42064 Ocean Explorer 
42065 Tracked Racer 

Mucho multi thanks to the EB LUG Ambassador CopMike and the LEGO CEE Team and Designers for allowing me to review these sets for Eurobricks. So onto the review!

Packaging

32322425321_b2467091b5_c.jpg

Front....

32292313242_e9acf5cb0b_c.jpg

...back....

31600226344_99e3b69b10_c.jpg

...top.

32292303842_0fcde69ca1_c.jpg

The combiner is interesting in this one so I did make it.

Unboxing

31600200164_48b35cb6c2_c.jpg

Standard punch box. Instructions and wheels were loose.

31600210674_254155dcb9_c.jpg

Instructions are provided for both models, and the quality is excellent with thick bound covers.

32322377651_38de3ae237_c.jpg

The build is not sectioned. Aside from the anniversary piece there isn't anything new here, but the panels used for the side and the windscreen are new colours, and more importantly the wheels are in black at last.

32479309026_bc24d4e78e_c.jpg

Parts list.

32479311166_cc183fbc15_c.jpg

Random instruction page.

Build

31631969583_d70865e0af_c.jpg

This is the lower frame with the engine and driveshaft joined. This is the bottom of the bike; the anniversary piece and the central gear are viewable in the finished model.

32065556130_67c43e8b07_c.jpg

It's done!

32065581560_79ed7d3061_c.jpg

Spare parts.

32443655105_a322a7a28e_c.jpg

This 600 part set, vs the 250 part 42007 (orange bike), but obviously it's not that much bigger. ('cos it's got the same wheels.) All those parts are just to make the bike better! (Black bike is a MOC. Not being reviewed.)

31631861743_55527752e9_c.jpg

Ahhhgh! Someone dropped my bike! While it's down you can see the frame shown earlier. The gear is there partially so you can spin the drivetrain, although it is functional as well. (Be careful to pick it up with your legs not your arms; these things weigh around 250kg.)

31631986153_90cc847b89_c.jpg

Unflattering cam. Even with the extra parts it still suffers the curse of most Technic bikes; near transparency. Doesn't bother me, but it's a common complaint. What does however bother me is the exhaust; it's on the rear swingarm and is thus suspended. This was probably a compromise due to the already complicated rear, but it's just weird. (And incorrect.) The front suspension is mostly correct; telelever or something close anyway. What am I on about? OK....

32521206575_83aeaea9d6_c.jpg

..look here. Most motorcycles have a shock either side of the front wheel, but many (not all) BMW ones have what they call Telelever, which put simply is a variant of double wishbone suspension. It has many advantages on paper but this discussion is beyond the scope of this review.

32369129842_61f1eaaa23_c.jpg

Now look here! I'm no expert (not modesty!) but it's in the ballpark. The first time in an official set I believe.

31632325643_72564d456d_c.jpg

OK, let's put the stickers on now... on a side note I find it funny how the designers needed to widen the cylinder head to give it the correct BMW look that causes so many debates about leanability... but I digress again.

32066016700_f9cde8800e_c.jpg

Each box gets branded, but the model doesn't use the stickers for shape or even panel blending. You can also see here how relatively compact the shaft drive is. (First time in a set also?) Lack of rear brakes is disappointing though.

32444090315_7bb18a8693_c.jpg

No controls this time. The Technic front fairing is simple but it works well IMHO; these kind of fairings are rather hard to do well. (I cheated and used system on my own MOC.)

31632311203_e10bd5414c_c.jpg

Going nowhere fast it seems.

32065978310_bf58a1be30_c.jpg

The boxes come off without too much damage... which highlights that the rear suspension needs better pre-load adjustment (haw, haw, haw) as it's really not strong enough for this model unless it's going luggage free. (I think it's OK in the front.) Maybe it's time LEGO made a really hard spring...

32444034165_528147140e_c.jpg

To my surprise they open too, which took some creative pin usage.

Functional video.

Future Bike Concept (B Model)

32322769741_7fd8ce81c0_c.jpg

Well for a start, it gets full points for building something very different in a licensed model! To be honest I didn't want to make this, but....

32367640502_0653ec7b23_c.jpg

...I then saw how nice the presentation of it was in the instructions. So I ended up making this first.

31600347614_4ac5566d52_c.jpg

It uses most of the parts...

32444069545_b934cb7fee_c.jpg

...and even gets it's own sticker! (The un-used one.) I didn't realise this until I finished the A model. On a related but negative note, it assumes you have not used the stickers yet, but I don't think it would look bad if you had already applied them

The functions are a rotating and angling rear thruster, steering vanes and folding wings. It's best to watch a video.

32292644202_499c06e8f2_c.jpg

While I do think it's a cool model with decent functionality... I just don't get it. Internal combustion engine in a flying bike? That kinda negates the possibility of Star Trek style tech so how does it take off? The thruster is too far back....

32299474552_67a2f05719_c.jpg

Nor does it lift enough to be an effective force in forward flight.

31607160114_5f49e4b199_c.jpg

Looking at the art and the front I suspect they wanted to work in the second wheel, but ran out of parts. The steering vanes are pretty cool though.

32322690821_4168eaf516_c.jpg

The landing function is good however.

32329533531_edea794efb_c.jpg

The stand makes heavy usage of the pannier parts, which leaves me wondering if the panniers were added to make the B Model better! (I'm out of stuff to say about the B model, but there's plenty more photos on Flickr.)

32322886421_98d354b555_c.jpg

Ratings

Function:

BMW bikes are a good choice for LEGO as they are very different and give a chance to make a different model. (I hope though that they'll do other licenses.) As bikes go this is an excellent set, adding panniers and an interesting B model pushes this set to top gear.  10/10

Parts:

A good blend of parts, although the panniers are not terrible exciting.  9/10

Price:

Yeah, it's more expensive than I'd like, but it's licensed and would have taken a lot of work.  8/10

Accuracy:

Ignoring the B model, the only flaw is the exhaust placement.  9/10

Fudge:

Motorbikes + Technic? What a winning combination.  10/10

Overall:

Ride out and get one!  9/10

Thanks for the review!  I am a fan of Technic motorcycles, and this one offers something different.  Although it can be argued that it is a bit ugly, it captures the main distinguishing functions of the real thing:

• mono-shock rear suspension
  • telelever front suspension
  • shaft drive
  • 2 cylinder, horizontally opposed engine

It is nice to see that this review is being written by an actual motorcycle enthusiast.  Your interest in the subject matter shows.

6 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

Thanks for the review!  I am a fan of Technic motorcycles, and this one offers something different.  Although it can be argued that it is a bit ugly, it captures the main distinguishing functions of the real thing:

• mono-shock rear suspension
  • telelever front suspension
  • shaft drive
  • 2 cylinder, horizontally opposed engine

It is nice to see that this review is being written by an actual motorcycle enthusiast.  Your interest in the subject matter shows.

It is obly a V2 Engine. A main point in bike construction for BMW is the usage of a boxer engine. The bike has the same Error/Fault as the Porsche it uses a flat V-Engine.

40 minutes ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

It is obly a V2 Engine. A main point in bike construction for BMW is the usage of a boxer engine. The bike has the same Error/Fault as the Porsche it uses a flat V-Engine.

I know, but it is still a reasonable approximation given the constraints of the parts.  There are flaws in the telelever as well.  In the real suspension, the handlebars to not go up and down because there is still a telescopic section of the forks.  The model does not do this.  Again though, I find it is a reasonable approximation.

This is about the only 1H 2017 set that I'd really like to buy. The other sets are kinda meh, just some nice parts packs here and there.
But this set is actually quite nice. And I've never bought a Technic motorcycle before either, so it's extra nice :laugh:

Nice review @Siegfried:classic:

Nice review!

I do like the bike, despite some minor niggles (exhaust is a big one after seeing this review), but nothing that cant be fixed by some careful modding, as all my technic bikes receive.

Im slightly disappointed at the price though, €55 where-as 42039 and 42007 were €40 and €30 respectively, ive got a hard time justifying the added cost purely with the monoshock front and details, given that some of the detailing is off... (or in the case of the paniers, i dont really care for them)

22 hours ago, Blakbird said:

In the real suspension, the handlebars to not go up and down because there is still a telescopic section of the forks.  The model does not do this. 

With all due respect actually it does. There is a 2 stud long "telescopic" travel on the top of the forks on the 9L axles, therefore the handlebar is independent from the forks. It is right in the level of the mudguard,  easy to miss on the pics. 

Great review! I like the fact that you did the B-model as well.

And I like your closing shot :sweet: :thumbup:

I would love to give you the Technic tag, but the currently limits the number of tags.

technicgear2.png

I only ever bought the technic bikes to get the larger springs. I like the look of this one and the colours but I don't think i'll get it. Good review. Do those boxes really open?

H

On 26/01/2017 at 8:20 AM, Blakbird said:

I know, but it is still a reasonable approximation given the constraints of the parts.  

Yeah, a true boxer in this size would be hard.

On 26/01/2017 at 8:21 AM, legolijntje said:

This is about the only 1H 2017 set that I'd really like to buy. The other sets are kinda meh, just some nice parts packs here and there.

Sadly I mostly agree. I haven't assembled the plane or the boat yet. From what I know about the boat I think is a bit meh, but I can't tell yet about the plane.

On 26/01/2017 at 10:45 AM, BrickByBrick Official said:

Along with the rest of the sets, will you be reviewing b-models as well?

Mostly. I'm halfway through the 42060 and 42061, and I'm building both models for those. I plan to build both planes. Not sure about the boat or the container transporter. But things change; I never planned to make the alt model for this....

21 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Im slightly disappointed at the price though, €55 where-as 42039 and 42007 were €40 and €30 respectively, ive got a hard time justifying the added cost purely with the monoshock front and details, given that some of the detailing is off... (or in the case of the paniers, i dont really care for them)

I think considering the design work it's a good deal. On parts alone it's not as clear.

10 hours ago, Jim said:

I would love to give you the Technic tag, but the currently limits the number of tags.

technicgear2.png

Feel free to replace the robot!

10 hours ago, Horace T said:

Do those boxes really open?

Yeah. The side ones you push in from the back, the back has a turny handle. I might add a video...

11 hours ago, Attika said:

With all due respect actually it does. There is a 2 stud long "telescopic" travel on the top of the forks on the 9L axles, therefore the handlebar is independent from the forks. It is right in the level of the mudguard,  easy to miss on the pics. 

I'm a bit unsure what he meant, but yeah, that's how it is. I'll make a video...

10 minutes ago, Siegfried said:

Feel free to replace the robot!

Done!

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Done!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Siegfried said:

I'm a bit unsure what he meant, but yeah, that's how it is. I'll make a video...

Done!

This is my winner bike for the Rallye Dakar 2018.

2017 i got disqualiified. They said LEGO bikes are not allowed :-(

Lets race together!

32059993965_ae6f206cee_o.gifanimated 1 by LOGOOGOL, auf Flickr

see also:

Very nice review ! Many thanks for it :classic:.

As for the bike, i am somehow dissapointed by the side looks, i was expecting more pannels maybe ? Other than that, I can't wait to get the BMW when I see it at a discount price.

Thanks for review, enjoyed reading) Also get inspired to build my own BMW from parts that i have. I made it almost full black, with racing wheels, changed bodywork a little because i don't have some of the parts. And no boxes, i just don't like them)

31799947214_a54969dd8d_c.jpg

Sieggy, this is a fine review. I like the design built but I am not familiar with Technic actual built, so I can't comment alot. Just that by its first impression, I have good vibes for this set and it does make a fine display piece. I love how you compared with past motorcycles and also to include your actual bikes in there. 

Thanks for sharing with us! 

59 minutes ago, Victor Imaginator said:

Thanks for review, enjoyed reading) Also get inspired to build my own BMW from parts that i have. I made it almost full black, with racing wheels, changed bodywork a little because i don't have some of the parts. And no boxes, i just don't like them)

That looks bad-megablocks!

Im not entirely up to speed on BMW bikes, but this makes me wonder if the R1200GS could be a good base for other BMW models, given the driveline etc..

Edited by Jim
Removed image from quote

Please don't quote images. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Victor Imaginator said:

that looks really cool in all black.

Anyone knows when this set will be available on Amazon.com? Right now it is unavailable, while all the other new 2017 sets can be found on Amazon.com.

On 27/01/2017 at 8:28 AM, Siegfried said:

Yeah, a true boxer in this size would be hard.

Not that hard really, i looked into this last week, all lego would need to do is shorten the axle bit on the crank part by half a beam's width, and make a new conrod-shape. Couple that with a small offset between cilinders (which isnt pretty common in real world boxer engines), and you have a proper boxer engine. Add a 1.5 beam width axle part and you can build 4 and more cylinder boxers.

Id love for Lego to put out some update engine internals, colour aside the fake engines have been the same for decades.

On 03/02/2017 at 0:37 AM, vectormatic said:

Not that hard really, i looked into this last week, all lego would need to do is shorten the axle bit on the crank part by half a beam's width, and make a new conrod-shape.

...OK, point taken. Let me clarify what I meant then!

Yeah, without creating new pieces a true boxer in this size would be hard.

However I do agree 100% that TLG should make new engine parts. They don't seem too interested in that though,

On 01/02/2017 at 7:04 PM, Victor Imaginator said:

Also get inspired to build my own BMW from parts that i have.

Nice build!

On 01/02/2017 at 7:04 PM, Victor Imaginator said:

And no boxes, i just don't like them)

Well boxes are 100% required if you want to use your bike as tool, not a toy. It's how I get to LEGO shows...

13590276_10202023226020436_7768531476975