Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

Lego sorting techniques: How do YOU do it?

Lego sorting techniques  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Method you use mostly

• Colour
    • Type
    • Type for some, colour for the rest
    • Colour for some, type for the rest
    • Size
    • Theme
    • I don't
    • Colour AND Type

Personally I mostly sort by colour, but some parts (such as technic, motors, mini-figs) I sort by type. When my storer becomes too full I subdivide... and that's where it gets hard! :-P

If your method isn't there I can add it for you... (Please don't add or ask for "other".)

EDIT: Added "Colour AND Type"

Edited by Sinner

I think this will get more attention in LEGO News & General Discussion.

I sort by color and type depending on the volume of the piece or color...Most pieces are sorted by both color and type. Here is a portion on my sorting system:

tour009.jpg

I think this will get more attention in LEGO News & General Discussion.

I sort by color and type depending on the volume of the piece or color...Most pieces are sorted by both color and type. Here is a portion on my sorting system:

tour009.jpg

I feel pathetic :'-( .

I used to sort by color, but I was overcome when I turned about 7...

So now I just wing it and build with what I can find.

Figs separate, of course.

Sorting eh..................two problems with it

1) I am impatient, and must build now

2) Really dont care to sort em

My preferred method is storing them in tub-o-ware and then dumping em out all on the floor. Its crude but fun, and I like all my parts to be mixed together rather than knowing where they are, it adds an element of search and discovery, whether for mocing or in an actual set. I can see the benefits of organizing and all that ( 8-

Personally I mostly sort by colour, but some parts (such as technic, motors, mini-figs) I sort by type. When my storer becomes too full I subdivide... and that's where it gets hard! :-P

I mostly do like you.

And I recently needed to subdivide some groups: That Was Hard Job *sing*

LuxorV

I would have to say that I could not vote on my sorting technique. My sorting is as complicated as Hinckley's. I use the same type of cabinets and I sort my parts using all the listed ways on the voting page. Needless to say, I am very particular when it comes to sorting out parts.

Model On!!

I sort mostly by type, and then by colour. Bricks are sorted by colour, the rest are pretty much by piece.

Batbrick is Back! >:-)

Colour and type. Type first.

Assembled 'stock' minifigs are seperate, put together on baseplates by theme. Stock meaning figures that are assembled as originally shown in the set instructions.

Custom figures are usually either displayed seperately somewhere or in a scene.

Minifig parts are seperated by print, colour, type.

Accessories, helmets, shields, weapons, etc, are sorted by theme and then put in seperate containers with compartments.

Bulk bricks (2x2s, etc) are sorted by colour then type to get them out of the way.

Specialty parts are sorted by type but sometimes mixed by colour, since it isn't hard to find a red steering wheel assembly in a pile of assorted colours. The exception being the odd part that might be in old grey, dark grey, or brown. I will keep them on their own no matter what (actually, I'll put them all together, knowing that I'm only having to choose between the 3 'old' colours).

Instructions are in binders in sleeves. Stickers as well. Boxes are ... EVERYWHERE. AAaaaaahhhhhh. *wacko*

I sort by colour, and then into a number of general types (eg slopes, plates, etc) as necessary depending on the qty of the colour...

God Bless,

Nathan

tour009.jpg

hm, nice. But look at the sorting technice of our 1000steine.de admin 8-

Edited by der seb

Colour for some, type for the rest. I haven't got very munch pieces, 24 boxes. (plus some sets and mocs).

all black/gray and white system bricks are sorted by the color.

Mostly on color, sometimes on type.

But mostly, not at all 8-|

*Get's to work*

That sounds like a lot of work can be done sorting, good luck! :-P

I sort my bricks per type (only some per type and color), basic bricks are in one big drawer, the rest of the non-technic pieces are sorted out into 249 little plastic drawers in one big system.

The technic pieces (except the beams and wheels, which are in a large drawer) I have sorted into 7 toolcases with dividers, again by type.

It took some work, but it's very satisfactory....

:-)

Edited by simonwillems

The most stuf I sort by color. doors/windows, trees, basicbricks etc are sort by catagory.

very big pieces are sort in tree catogorys: Jack Stone(and other ulo's), basic paltes and others like trains/animals etc.

some pieces are sortet by theme: minifigs, and printed things etc.

sorry i haven't responded to own poll yet :-$ ,and thank you sinner! now, back on topic, i tend to sort by colour and have a few different categories for other part e.g. plants, animals etc.. also for larger parts i have them seperate. thanks again sinner!

Edited by ricecracker