Bricksnaps

Rogue One Transport Ship MOC

So this is my Rogue One Transport Ship I built from scratch.

PLease bear with me as this is the first large ship I have ever built from scratch - and I am working on my photoshop skills for rendering a backdrop.

This is slightly off minifig scale form my calculations but works perfectly as a play set for my 10 year old son. 

The wings were a huge challenge, I think long run the best mechanism will be similar to that of the UCS shuttle. I had tried some different shaped technic hinges, but none were sturdy enough. I settled on the axles used in the at-at walker legs and they work perfectly. They are extremely strong and allow for simple maneuvering of the wings. They do however make you have to compromise a little on the wing design, but for my first effort, I was fine with that.

The entrance door below the cockpit opens up and fits in a handful of rebels. Currently the cockpit does not have an interior but can fit in a pilot. I am going to redesign a few aspects, increasing the size of the ship and adding a viewable and functional cockpit.

The Cargo was a real challenge and really it probably needs to be a few studs wider on either side. With an expanse of bright orange, it looked horrible so I softened it with white and then added burt orange tile. It may not be fully accurate, but it makes it more pleasing on the eye. 

Thanks fo looking, I welcome any suggestions, I will be letting my son 'blow it up' in a Star Wars game and I will go ahead and rebuild some more. There is a video on Beyond the Brick that shows it being displayed at Brickfair Alabama a few weeks ago on a Scarif scene, but I couldn't be bothered to make the palm trees again just for pictures. Please forgive me :) CHeers.

32471156866_2d02ec31af_k.jpgRogue One Transporter-1 by Martin Harris, on Flickr

32511882995_1c4c87ecbb_k.jpgRogue One Transporter-2 by Martin Harris, on Flickr

32511881155_abf5c5ff1c_k.jpgRogue One Transporter-3 by Martin Harris, on Flickr

32511879645_71d5c2284a_k.jpgRogue One Transporter-4 by Martin Harris, on Flickr

32389770351_020d31fa74_k.jpgRogue One Transporter-5 by Martin Harris, on Flickr

Edited by Stillinamerica

5 minutes ago, Azrielsc said:

Woah! This is really cool! Love it! :thumbup:

Cheers mate

1 minute ago, FishW said:

Awesome I really like it! Any pictures of the inside by chance? Great work!

Thanks. The inside isn't too fancy- just the ramp and then the hang out area. The roof  of the cockpit lifts off, but it's not finished inside, I am going to work on redesigning that, there is room to do it and connect the two, when I was building I built more for structure than inside design but I can see now what I can do to change that.

Really cool.

Just one remark: I may be wrong but do the wings go further down in flight mode? Or is it already possible for your son (swoosh-factor) and it is not shown due to a stand?

Looks great, I love the cargo bay!

I think you have maybe used too much SNOT, some more studded areas would look good.

1 hour ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Looks great, I love the cargo bay!

I think you have maybe used too much SNOT, some more studded areas would look good.

Ha. I'd love no studs. But the wings when using plates cause stud challenges 

8 hours ago, the_colonel said:

Just one remark: I may be wrong but do the wings go further down in flight mode? Or is it already possible for your son (swoosh-factor) and it is not shown due to a stand?

It should, just a little. But it's close enough in my opinion.

8 hours ago, the_colonel said:

Really cool.

Just now, VaderFan2187 said:

It should, just a little. But it's close enough in my opinion.

Thanks guys. Yes it does a little more, maybe two clicks...but that was going to be more challenging to fit in to photograph. Cheers :)

8 minutes ago, roadstermatt said:

I love this ship I cant believe that TLG haven't released it its got to be one of my favourites from the film

I can't believe we haven't had this as an official set, but we are getting a quad jumper. Mind you, if lego follow this pattern, maybe we'll get more rogue one sets next summer.