Sign in to follow this  
ReplicaProfile

Portable LDD install?

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right section but I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to install LDD to a flash drive. I googled it and the only result was from a few years ago and they mentioned the install left behind files. I'm wondering if things have changed since then.

If not does anyone know of a similar software that can?

I've been looking too. The only options I've been running into are do it yourself types. Which obviously can't do as that would require a full install and the programs themselves are not portable. Oh the irony. lol The best I've come up with is to find someone who is offering to send you a portable version of it as publicly posting it has legal issues I'm assuming? I've been looking for a couple days and that's as far as I got, so if you find something you'd forever be in my debt :)

If your looking at portable options to bypass admin rights (like me) there's a different way if your interested? Extract the setup.exe file using a portable app like 7zip (there are 2 setup files within it so you'll have to extract twice). And then you can just run the left of .exe file (LDD.exe). Hope that helps! :)

On 1/25/2017 at 2:42 AM, TrentonC said:

but I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to install LDD to a flash drive.

Yes, and it's actually quite easy:

1. Download and run the standard installer for LDD
  2. When you get to "Choose Install Location", just change the drive letter to the USB's letter (e.g. D/E/F).
  3. Finish the installer.
  4. Go to the root of the USB, right click, and choose New -> Shortcut.
  5. Find the file "LDD.exe" in the installed folder on your USB.
  6. Create the shortcut.
  7. Eject the USB.
  8. Uninstall LDD from your computer. (this will only remove the record of the installation)
  9. Put the USB in, and run LDD. (this will install the bricks, so make sure your connected to the internet)
  10. Done! LDD has been installed on your USB/flash drive, and you can now use it on any computer (that has the same operating system).

You can repeat these steps if you want to install LDD for multiple operating systems, just make sure you put them in different folders. :wink: