theycallmemrdarko

(Completed) XL Detective's Office 10246

After finishing the Standalone Barber's Shop side, it was time to tackle the Detective's Office/Highlander side. It's still a WIP but it's coming along quite nicely I think. The second and 3rd floor interiors still need to be completed but should be done soon I hope. A few more images can be found here

32442420186_3e297b3fb2_b.jpg20170121_133033 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

31671468923_fe9b836c07_c.jpg20170121_133022 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

31671470993_857a4eac95_c.jpg20170121_132843 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

32331434852_1a35ea0551_c.jpg20170121_132821 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

Edited by theycallmemrdarko

You've done a great job capturing the design and feel of the original with different parts. Carrying the arch design up through the second floor was a nice touch. The patio area looks welcoming so far, can't wait to see some furniture down there. Perhaps try bringing the roof detailing into the open space on the left side addition?

Now this is how to modify that set. Granted, it still looks a bit off being that tall. There is something about that building that doesn't add height as easily. But I love the extra bits on the right side and the outdoor patio. Most people just make it taller and call it a day, but this is modifying it to call it your own.

I had thought about modifying this set, but I guess it didn't occur to me to make it a 32 wide style.

Keep up the good work.

The outdoor area is excellent!

I'm not so sure about the arch windows on the right, however. I think it's due to the larger panes of glass; if the smaller window style was carried across, I think it would look better. But, of course, it's your MOC - do what you like with it!

Very nice! One of the best mods I've seen so far. Love the outdoor area.

I don't mind that the right haf uses a slightly different architectural style. It evokes the thought of it being added later on.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. There's definitely still room for improvement in certain areas that I can see and a few others have pointed out such as bringing the roof pattern onto cutout section. Hopefully I can button this thing up in the next few weeks as I already have another project in mind :)

Nice mod. I really like the covered outdoor area and the addition of a bar. I separated my Detective's Office and added an extra floor as well. I don't like these new modulars sharing walls/stairs.

That is great work... i like the small roof between the large building and the stairs... the whole thing matches really good together! Also the windows with arches look nice this way!!! Well done!!

this thing is awesome! great work. the outdoor area is a really nice touch

On 1/23/2017 at 1:38 PM, eliza said:

Nice mod. I really like the covered outdoor area and the addition of a bar. I separated my Detective's Office and added an extra floor as well. I don't like these new modulars sharing walls/stairs.

Thank you! I'm with you on the sharing of stairs/walls thing, really drives me crazy. 

18 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

The grey top of the right side looks unfinished when compared to the left side.

It is, waiting on some small fences to come in from a BL order. Also planning on putting some A/C units and TV antennas. 

12 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

That is great work... i like the small roof between the large building and the stairs... the whole thing matches really good together! Also the windows with arches look nice this way!!! Well done!!

Thank you very much! I'm still debating the arches, I think they look nice but I wish the windows would actually be inside of them but it doesn't seem like Lego has any plans to released arched windows yet. 

10 hours ago, SollX said:

this thing is awesome! great work. the outdoor area is a really nice touch

Thank you! It's actually an idea I got from a local bar that I used to visit. I still need to add some outdoor furniture to it but I have actually added some plants that are attached to the stairs wall which i think came out nice. 

22 hours ago, theycallmemrdarko said:

Thank you very much! I'm still debating the arches, I think they look nice but I wish the windows would actually be inside of them but it doesn't seem like Lego has any plans to released arched windows yet.

You should be able to pop the windows out of their frames and slide them into the arches. It'll be pretty loose but it shouldn't look too bad. You could use some Sticky Tack to hold the windows in place if it bothers you (it can be removed, and isn't damaging to your pieces).

Finally got around to finishing this thing after I took a break to finish my Artic Roller Mod. Here are the results:

32899701595_c098edcbf5_c.jpg20170213_131504 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

32899694085_b3f40aa264_c.jpg20170213_130746 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

32899711445_56a5b6d892_c.jpg20170213_130947 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

32085108613_d2a608468c_c.jpg20170213_130915 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

32899706045_9e12a95edd_c.jpg20170213_131152 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

32775971841_259518a5cd_c.jpg20170213_131255 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

Well done!  The outdoor extension blends in well with the structure.  The expanded blue section with the barber shop is also nice.  

14 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Well done!  The outdoor extension blends in well with the structure.  The expanded blue section with the barber shop is also nice.  

Thank you very much! The outdoor patio is definitely my favorite part of it. 

14 hours ago, NewTown said:

Awesome. I think this is my favourite DO mod.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful MOD ...I like to see the Walt Disney characters in the bar! :wub:

Amazing solution also the printed tiles on the floor to recreate the wood effect

Thank you! My daughter absolutely loves the Disney minifigures so I try to use them whenever I can. 

I'm not usually a fan of XL MODs of modulars as they typically just end up stacking more floors or making a mirror image of the set, but this is fantastic! You expanded it while thinking outside the box (literally), and the results are brilliant! Thanks for sharing!