Sign in to follow this  
labanog

Closest/alternate color of Pearl Gold

Hi Guys & Gals, Im trying to build my own MOC R2D2 but making him into a black and gold version R2Q5. Can't seem to find a lot of pearl gold. So planning to use the next best thing but can't decided which is a good alternate color that if I use both, it will meld together and looks nice still.

Thanks!

Dark Tan is perhaps closest, although it doesn't have a "metal" shine to it unfortunately. It is often used officially by Lego in conjunction with small Pearl Gold pieces to form a single "gold" structure. The Disney Castle for instance uses both shades for the golden top of its main tower--it uses Dark Tan for the "filler" pieces that Pearl Gold does not come in. 

Regrettably Lego doesn't make chrome in general anymore (and even if they did, it would cost a fortune to build with them), and while they use Pearl Gold more frequently now than in the past, there are still not that many types of bricks in that color, which is just as important when you're trying to build something yourself. Dark Tan however comes in a number of useful pieces, so I'd say that's the best alternative--plus it'll pop against black. :thumbup: 

If money is no object, you can send pieces out to a 3rd party to have them gold chrome plated or use a DIY kit.  

Thanks for all the replies guys. Will try to check out dark tan. 

Kinda keeping the budget low so might stick with what ever is readily available in bricklink. 

Thanks again