32448614445_f55ea8f52a_c.jpg

"Mr. Gardener!" Montoya exclaimed, delighted to see his old shipmate. "Doctor! How pleasant to see you well!" the young man replied, his voice carrying over the crack of sails and rigging. "In fact, it is lieutenant now. And, should you wish to oblige me immmensely, you could call me captain, being in command of this here fine vessel!"

"Captain Gardener it is, then - And what a prodigiously fine little ship she is!"

"Indeed she is, although some may call her a yacht, rather than a ship, not being ship-rigged... But a wonderful sailer, nonetheless." Gardener said with a smile.

"Bah, you sailors and your jargon!" he said, shaking his head. "How is the wind for Celestia?"

"As sure as your hand during surgery, Doctor! Hop on board just this moment and we will be right off. Been lying to here for long enough now!"

31636773343_5a364aa334_c.jpg

Montoya had long since had enough of the fighting on Isla de Medio, or Isla de Victoria, as the Eslandians seemed to call it, and as the field hospital was established and would function without his participation, he had written to Cooke to have transport arranged.

And while it had taken some time, Cooke had arranged for the Pioneer, under the command of his former midshipman, now Lieutenant, Gardener, to pick up Montoya on its way to Celestia. As it happened, the Pioneer was despatched to bring supplies and mail to Major Allcocks expedition on Celestia, whereafter it be at Allcocks command to support the expedition in any way he may wish.

Montoya was happy to leave. Eslandian and Marderian wounded alike all seemed confident on victory, and the battle would be bloody. He was tired of war, and rumours of both Marderian and Garveyan (on the side of Eslandola) reinforcements suggested an escalation of the conflict. Soon, it would be full blown war. The diplomatic grapevine was buzzing with tension.

32327515711_a0fae56d96_c.jpg

The Pioneer is a yacht, a swift and manoeuvrable fore-and-aft rigged vessel type recently developed in Altonia. Adept at sailing close to the wind, low draught, and easy to handle even by a small crew makes it perfectly suited for running communications both inshore and on the open seas. Several of the type has been commissioned by the Crown for the National Surveyor, the service in charge of charting the territorial waters of Corrington. Apart from small-arms, it is unarmed, not intended for warfare.

32297406942_c5a5b1f8b2_c.jpg

On board, in the cabin, young Gardener asked Montoya a curious question. "Who was that fellow?" "Who?!" "Did you not notice the man behind the bushes? A native, it seemed..."

32448610495_774b414067_c.jpg

Montoya was leaving from a small pier just outside the Fuerte Unido city wall. He wouldn't be sad to see the island disappear below the horizon, once more devoting himself to the natural sciences.

A fun build, and one of my favourite landscape builds ever. Rigging the yacht did obscure most of the build, though, which is why you get a "ship-free" picture. :pir-wink:

The yacht is a class 2 F, under the current nomenclature, and may or may not be licensed. If the greenies want the property licensed, let me know.

C&C is, as always, welcome.

Edited by Bregir

Neat build Bregir, I really like the turrets on the wall and the dock is pretty good too!  The ship is great also, very nice job on the hull and the black and dark red lines look very nice! :thumbup: 

Very nice MOC, Bregir. The various colours in the rockwork with the small patches of sand work out fantastically. The ship looks exactly as a quick messenger, just like you describe it, great work.

The water with the waves looks superb, though I think it would have been even better to have the waves break at the ship?

Great MOC overall, and nice story alongside it - Montoya just wanting to leave that horrible war-torn island behind is great.

About licensing: I am quite certain Eslandola would love to have the property licensed. Would you want to license it yourself or have Eslandola license it? And do you consider it a fortification or commerce, because I think it could be both?

Nice MOC Bregir! The turret/guard posts are indeed nice (and I am expecting to see them in a bigger fort some day), the sea is really good and the rockwork too.

On the ship vessel now :wub:, I find it lovely and this brick-built technique is really intriguing i think mostly because you can follow the vessel's curves really closely and as lifelike as possible. Also the masts and rigging are excellent as usual.

You can truly see the effort put into this Bregir (build and storywise).  That water texture is very striking (seems I need to make a bricks order to emulate it) and I like the way you built the angled stone pier. Well done.

Lovely ship and build! I must echo others on their compliments on this ship. She does look like a speedy vessel suited to her task! :thumbup:

And the city gate for Fuerte Unido is very stylish! We certainly want to license this build (I would suggest licensing it as a medium commercial build for the dock, as fortification licenses raise other EGS issues). Let us know whether you want to license it or would leave it to us.

I love the quay and gate, everything just works really well. The style of the gate is particularly interesting to me. The yacht however steals the show. She is magnificent! That hull!! :wub:

You should definitely license her for survey work around the East Prio Sea, maybe in the name of the new settlement of Fort Royal?

On 22/01/2017 at 3:02 AM, Kai NRG said:

Neat build Bregir, I really like the turrets on the wall and the dock is pretty good too!  The ship is great also, very nice job on the hull and the black and dark red lines look very nice! :thumbup: 

Thanks, Kai. I like the subdued colourscheme of the dark red as an accent to the reddish brown. As CB4 said elsewhere, the curve of the hull isn't completely perfect, but I am quite happy with it. She does seem to lie pretty high in the water, though! :pir-grin:

As to the turrets, I am pretty sure I stole them from @Capt Wolf or @Sir Stig, but I couldn't find the original moc, and then forgot to credit them... :pir-oh:

23 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Very nice MOC, Bregir. The various colours in the rockwork with the small patches of sand work out fantastically. The ship looks exactly as a quick messenger, just like you describe it, great work.

The water with the waves looks superb, though I think it would have been even better to have the waves break at the ship?

Great MOC overall, and nice story alongside it - Montoya just wanting to leave that horrible war-torn island behind is great.

About licensing: I am quite certain Eslandola would love to have the property licensed. Would you want to license it yourself or have Eslandola license it? And do you consider it a fortification or commerce, because I think it could be both?

Thank you, Elos, I am particularly happy you like my rockwork, as that is most definitely one of my... less strong sides. Good to hear you like the yacht too.

As to the waves, I took particular care to place the blue and white trans bricks entirely randomly, to avoid any patterns. Of course you are right, some breakage of waves around hull would have been good.

And Montoya is not a man of war, so he will be glad to leave you guys to it. I hear rumours Fontonajo is against this war too?! Well, anyways, he has given you a field hospital, and can now in good conscience leave you to your war.

Re: Licensing, see below to Capt. Wolf's comment.

21 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice MOC Bregir! The turret/guard posts are indeed nice (and I am expecting to see them in a bigger fort some day), the sea is really good and the rockwork too.

On the ship vessel now :wub:, I find it lovely and this brick-built technique is really intriguing i think mostly because you can follow the vessel's curves really closely and as lifelike as possible. Also the masts and rigging are excellent as usual.

Thanks! As I said, I stole those towers somewhere... :P And I bought those bricks for this exact purpose, so you may well expect to see them used again. I am thinking they might also be useful for the quarter galleries of a large ship.

The yacht - it is a really intriguing technique, but also quit hard to accomplish the right curves. Takes some experimentation, and this surely isn't my last attempt. CB4's frigate is a much more beautiful example than this tiny yacht. :D

18 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

You can truly see the effort put into this Bregir (build and storywise).  That water texture is very striking (seems I need to make a bricks order to emulate it) and I like the way you built the angled stone pier. Well done.

Thank you, Kwatchi. I am particularly happy you mention the story, something which I think we should try to place a higher emphasis on in BoBS in general. I think the water turned out nicely too, and the angled pier was a fun detail to construct. :)

18 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Lovely ship and build! I must echo others on their compliments on this ship. She does look like a speedy vessel suited to her task! :thumbup:

And the city gate for Fuerte Unido is very stylish! We certainly want to license this build (I would suggest licensing it as a medium commercial build for the dock, as fortification licenses raise other EGS issues). Let us know whether you want to license it or would leave it to us.

Happy you like it, Wolf - perhaps you can confirm whether I stole those turrets from you? :P

In case of licensing, I will most definitely prefer to license it myself, unless offered sufficient compensation! Commercial should work, it being a dock.

You may also consider the Field Hospital a non-licensable build related to Fuerte Unido, by the way. (For those sweet 2 dbs in trade value! ;) )

31 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

I love the quay and gate, everything just works really well. The style of the gate is particularly interesting to me. The yacht however steals the show. She is magnificent! That hull!! :wub:

You should definitely license her for survey work around the East Prio Sea, maybe in the name of the new settlement of Fort Royal?

Thanks, Ayrlego! I agree that the composition overall came out very well, without the details suffering (too much...). It is one of those builds that come out better than expected. :)

I might license her, but have already 6 vessels licensed, so the next will be very expensive! :P And only individuals and trade companies may license ships, as per the rules. However, with new ship rules underway, things may change. For now, she will just be a story implement. And I think she is more suited for the scientific expedition of Allcock than the military one of Howe. :)

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

As to the turrets, I am pretty sure I stole them from @Capt Wolf or @Sir Stig, but I couldn't find the original moc, and then forgot to credit them... :pir-oh:

The turrets was not from me, but thank you for thinking it could have been :) They are very nice.

Lovely scene, and ship. I especially like how you manage to build the city gate in a scale that presents the idea very well, without eating to much bricks. I will certainly take notes from this.

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

As to the turrets, I am pretty sure I stole them from @Capt Wolf or @Sir Stig, but I couldn't find the original moc

Yep, the turret is my design, and you probably saw it here from challenge 2. Glad you liked it!

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

In case of licensing, I will most definitely prefer to license it myself, unless offered sufficient compensation! Commercial should work, it being a dock.

What would you consider sufficient compensation? The MCTC was discussing donating funds to the Royal Society for licensing rights...

34 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

What would you consider sufficient compensation?

If the MCTC makes a serious donation to the Royal Society, I will ask no further compensation.

The MCTC has made a 100DB donation to the Royal Society, and has licensed the dock as a commerce property.

To the MCTC,

The Royal Society wishes to express its greatest gratitude for the donation, and assures that the funds will go in full to educational and scientific purposes. The MCTC may thus have contributed to the next great break-through in the world of knowledge, or in the nursing of the next Isaac Brickton!

Our sincerest regards

On behalf of the RSNP

don Isaac Montoya

Chairman

Very nice build, Bregir, loving that gateway (as others have said, those turrets are great!), and the water is quite nice as well (although I do think that the water itself looks better without the ship than with it, and agree with Elos that a bit of foam around the yacht would make it better)!  Great job with the story too, looking forward to more on Montoya's expedition (and on that native! :pir-oh: :pir-grin:)

As to the ship - neat work with that as well, the rigging is excellent (though I still think a more subdued colour like black would generally look better and more realistic - but really, the white does tie in pretty nicely in this case), and clever idea for not having to bother getting the gaffs backstays taut :pir_laugh2:  I also particularly like the curve at the front of the bow, but I think that as far as the rest goes, it would look better if you could try to combine your two techniques more fluidly - the all-studs hull just clashes a little to much with the very smooth upper section for me.  I would suggest covering the hull in tiles and cheese as a good way to combine them, as well as trying to more gradually build up to the straighter edge of the railing above (the excellent curves of the hull just make the top seem a bit block-y as is).

Nevertheless, an excellent build - it's always great to see ships surrounded by the scenery they fit with, and this is no exception!  Keep it up, mate! :thumbup: :pir-wink:

Excellent job all around, Bregir. The ship, err yacht, is very well done with a clever technique for the hull. Her lines are nicely done as well, but it does appear that the brown lines below the black and red stripe are too straight compared to said stripe (hopefully this makes sense). The rigging is well done, too, and even though it may not be the most complex ever, it truly does tie the ship together.

The rest of the build, notably the water, is nice as well. And the angled quay is a nice touch that helps to improve this MOC.

Can't wait to see where Don Montoya ends up next.

Lovely build. That second pic really looks fantastic with the light shining on the beautiful white gatehouse. I like how it's perched atop the rocks, surrounded by the edge of the jungle. Of course the yacht looks really nice too, especially with that custom hull. And the water technique, while basic, is very convincing. Excellent way to show a character departing foreign lands. Good work. :classic:

Behold: the thread necromancer!

Nah, I just had to chime in here, too. Bregir, this is just a splendid MOC. I'm not sure what to like better - the build or the story...

I really like the water effects, the way the jungle blends into the build, that cute angled dock... and the city walls don't seem to be too much of an obstacle for MAR's attack forces :laugh::tongue: Kudos to you and CW for those round tower thingies, very cool design, very Eslandola-esque, always love to see them :thumbup:

The yacht... yeah, nice mix of SNOTed lower hull, and 'normal' upper part - that's just a cool way to build (full hull) ships :wink: What are you using to stabilize the masts? Flextubes... or prayers? Oh, I think some headrails would have been nice for stabilizing the beakhead... and for show, of course.

Save journey to Montoya! Hope to see him in game at some point... oh, wait, for that I'd need to use a sigfig :grin:

On 23/01/2017 at 3:15 PM, Sir Stig said:

The turrets was not from me, but thank you for thinking it could have been :) They are very nice.

Lovely scene, and ship. I especially like how you manage to build the city gate in a scale that presents the idea very well, without eating to much bricks. I will certainly take notes from this.

You are welcome, sir - and thank you. :pir-grin:

I figured a secondary gate for an early settlement wouldn't be too grand. But on the other hand, you greenies do have a thing for flashy buildings, so some fancy towers seemed fitting. In addition, it ensures that the fancy shiny uniforms of your guards do not get wet! :pir-wink:

On 23/01/2017 at 4:18 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Yep, the turret is my design, and you probably saw it here from challenge 2. Glad you liked it!

I did - unfortunately, I didn't have the proper angled bricks, so I used curved instead, which works reasonably well. :pir-wink:

On 23/01/2017 at 8:40 PM, Franco Clarke said:

Great work, I like the realistic brown colouration of the vessel, the little angled jetty and the curved front of the yacht.

Thank you, FC. I like the subdued colours too, and I too am pretty happy with both jetty and yacht. :pir-blush:

On 24/01/2017 at 0:47 AM, Garmadon said:

Very nice build, Bregir, loving that gateway (as others have said, those turrets are great!), and the water is quite nice as well (although I do think that the water itself looks better without the ship than with it, and agree with Elos that a bit of foam around the yacht would make it better)!  Great job with the story too, looking forward to more on Montoya's expedition (and on that native! :pir-oh: :pir-grin:)

As to the ship - neat work with that as well, the rigging is excellent (though I still think a more subdued colour like black would generally look better and more realistic - but really, the white does tie in pretty nicely in this case), and clever idea for not having to bother getting the gaffs backstays taut :pir_laugh2:  I also particularly like the curve at the front of the bow, but I think that as far as the rest goes, it would look better if you could try to combine your two techniques more fluidly - the all-studs hull just clashes a little to much with the very smooth upper section for me.  I would suggest covering the hull in tiles and cheese as a good way to combine them, as well as trying to more gradually build up to the straighter edge of the railing above (the excellent curves of the hull just make the top seem a bit block-y as is).

Nevertheless, an excellent build - it's always great to see ships surrounded by the scenery they fit with, and this is no exception!  Keep it up, mate! :thumbup: :pir-wink:

Thank you, Garmadon, for a very useful comment! :pir-blush:

Some more work with the water, to show the interference of the ships hull in the water would be a good idea for another time.

As to Montoya's story (and the native), I believe I am as excited to see where it goes as you! Never believed in planning... :pir-tongue:

Re: The yacht.

The white rigging is obviously manila rope! (I use that string because it has the right texture, a good tension, and a fitting thickness, really. Haven't found much tarred rope in hobby shops around here... :pir-tongue:)

Not sure what you mean about the gaff backstays, really. As the yacht is lying too, all sheets are let loose to take out the force in the sails. And although I am not an expert on the gaff sail, I think those "backstays" (I think they proper name is something else) are used in conjunction with the main sheets to keep the sail in the proper shape (avoid having the top sway to leeward. :pir-blush:

As to the hull - I agree - the shapes do clash a bit. Often, ships would have different colours below the decks, or waterline, but not different textures, obviously. However, I don't have the tiles (nor the cheese slopes) for covering it up, enjoy some studs on my lego creations, and think cheese slopes intersect less than perfectly with tiles. In short, I am not really sure how to fix it! :pir-sceptic: I will go in thinking box if I ever attempt a hull like this again. I think it might work better in a larger scale, like cb4's frigate. The studs and levels are more obvious in this small scale.

And although the upper hull might look blocky, it is actually pretty nicely curved. Might show the yacht off in another story moc - and I will try to show her sides better then. :pir-tongue:

Again, thank you for an extensive and constructive comment! Very useful. :pir-blush:

On 29/01/2017 at 9:52 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Great build. My highest respect goes to custom built hulls!

Thank you, Captain!

On 29/01/2017 at 5:26 PM, Captain Genaro said:

Excellent job all around, Bregir. The ship, err yacht, is very well done with a clever technique for the hull. Her lines are nicely done as well, but it does appear that the brown lines below the black and red stripe are too straight compared to said stripe (hopefully this makes sense). The rigging is well done, too, and even though it may not be the most complex ever, it truly does tie the ship together.

The rest of the build, notably the water, is nice as well. And the angled quay is a nice touch that helps to improve this MOC.

Can't wait to see where Don Montoya ends up next.

Thank you, CG. I see what you mean about the "brown line" - I think it is also related to what Garmadon mentioned about the transition from one hull technique to another. Again, scale is probably my biggest enemy here, as I am not sure how to make that line and the lower hull intersect elsewise, one being snot, the other not. :pir-sceptic:

I do admit I took some short cuts with the paper rigging, but it simply didn't feel necessary, nor warranted, to work on a more elaborate rigging for now. (Also, needed to get my story rolling.) I do expext to return to cloth sails for my larger ships, though. :pir-blush:

Happy to hear you like the Montoya adventures! :pir-wink:

On 10/02/2017 at 4:17 PM, Captain Dee said:

Lovely build. That second pic really looks fantastic with the light shining on the beautiful white gatehouse. I like how it's perched atop the rocks, surrounded by the edge of the jungle. Of course the yacht looks really nice too, especially with that custom hull. And the water technique, while basic, is very convincing. Excellent way to show a character departing foreign lands. Good work. :classic:

Thanks, Sir Dee! I think that second pic is great by accident, but I'll take credit anyways! :pir-grin: It appears Montoya is leaving at sunset - or is it sunrise? :pir-tongue:

As to the water technique, I made every effort to make it random (which is more difficult than one would think, really :pir-grin:), and I think I succeeded, which makes it look at least somewhat natural.Happy you like the yacht, and all credit for the landscape goes to ESL to place Fuerte/o Unido/a whatever... :pir-tongue:

On 10/02/2017 at 5:55 PM, Mike S said:

Awesome build!

Thanks, Mike!

1 hour ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Behold: the thread necromancer!

Nah, I just had to chime in here, too. Bregir, this is just a splendid MOC. I'm not sure what to like better - the build or the story...

I really like the water effects, the way the jungle blends into the build, that cute angled dock... and the city walls don't seem to be too much of an obstacle for MAR's attack forces :laugh::tongue: Kudos to you and CW for those round tower thingies, very cool design, very Eslandola-esque, always love to see them :thumbup:

The yacht... yeah, nice mix of SNOTed lower hull, and 'normal' upper part - that's just a cool way to build (full hull) ships :wink: What are you using to stabilize the masts? Flextubes... or prayers? Oh, I think some headrails would have been nice for stabilizing the beakhead... and for show, of course.

Save journey to Montoya! Hope to see him in game at some point... oh, wait, for that I'd need to use a sigfig :grin:

No worries - reminds me to answer the other comments! :pir-tongue:

And the absence of an actual door in the gate should not hinder the Yellow Horde too much, eh? :pir-wink:

I am happy so many people like both story AND moc.

As to the yacht - it is a bit too full hulled for standing "on" the water, but she probably is very lightly laden currently. I actually tried "submerging" her more, but it messes up the shape too much at this scale. Stabilising masts? Nothing. Bricks on bricks, held together by stays and shrouds. And sideways pressure on the middle of the mast, and it all falls apart. (Which it did approximately 800 times during build and rig... :pir-tongue:) As for headrails. Well, a vessel this side probably doesn't really have a "head" in the proper sense, and the keel should be strong enough to support the stress, so I would think them entirely cosmetic in this case. Which isn't very well aligned with Corlander utilitarism! :pir-wink:

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

Thank you, Garmadon, for a very useful comment! :pir-blush:

...Not sure what you mean about the gaff backstays, really. As the yacht is lying too, all sheets are let loose to take out the force in the sails. And although I am not an expert on the gaff sail, I think those "backstays" (I think they proper name is something else) are used in conjunction with the main sheets to keep the sail in the proper shape (avoid having the top sway to leeward. :pir-blush:

As to the hull - I agree - the shapes do clash a bit. Often, ships would have different colours below the decks, or waterline, but not different textures, obviously. However, I don't have the tiles (nor the cheese slopes) for covering it up, enjoy some studs on my lego creations, and think cheese slopes intersect less than perfectly with tiles. In short, I am not really sure how to fix it! :pir-sceptic: I will go in thinking box if I ever attempt a hull like this again. I think it might work better in a larger scale, like cb4's frigate. The studs and levels are more obvious in this small scale.

And although the upper hull might look blocky, it is actually pretty nicely curved. Might show the yacht off in another story moc - and I will try to show her sides better then. :pir-tongue:

Again, thank you for an extensive and constructive comment! Very useful. :pir-blush:

Ah, no - I just meant that having a fellow tying them down in the pic was a great way of avoiding having to tie down yet another two strings tautly :laugh: :grin:  As to the hull - yes, that would definitely require quite a lot of small brown tiles and cheese!  

On the upper hull (apparent :grin:) blocky-ness, I was referring more to the horizontal flatness where it connects with the hull, and not the bend in and out there - you see, I think it would mix a lot better if the SNOTted hull could be carried right up to the coloured curve (but then, that is a very complicated situation there!  I had the same or a similar situation with the curve on my last ship (and transition from SNOT to studs-up - here's a pic to see what I mean), but thankfully that nifty golden strip mostly worked quite well to ease the transition :pir_laugh2:

Anyways, 'tis a pleasure, sir! :pir-wink: :grin: