LegoSjaak

Lego 10255 XXL Assembly Square MOD

OMG! The XXXL version looks so amazing. The extra 2 baked window displays make is seem like they could also be other small shops besides a bakery. Outstanding work. Cant wait to see what the AFOL part will look like with the open terrace. :wub_drool:

On ‎23‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 9:01 AM, Vindicare said:

Wow, this is amazing...and well worth the wait. The bakery looks fantastic with the turret in the middle. The coffee shop looks awesome as well as a full 32....scratch that, its much larger. 64. 

Yes, i'm pretty satisfied with that integrated turret too... it just should be there to break up the structure of the windows!!

19 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I agree that the bottom level of the bakery looks a little off with the repeating sets of three windows.  Maybe if it was one large window instead of three smaller ones?  Also, I would leave one pretzel in the middle and take down the other two and use as part of the food offerings inside.  With that said, it really is impressive in the larger size.  The three turret concept works well, and the coffee shop building looks excellent as an enlargement.  We will have to settle for one AS here, but that is OK.  One is certainly better than none!  Ours sits in a bookcase, and the top two bricks of the turret had to be removed in order to place it in the shelf.  

Taking away tow pretzels seems to be a very detailed action, but it could create indeed an other look... i will sure think of that!!!

19 hours ago, atomic80 said:

I absolutely LOVE it..my mind is completely blown to bits and pieces. I had done the same with the Parisan Cafe reversing the two halves but I didn't go as far as you did in combining the interior. Seeing all these pictures really has given me some inspiration and ideas. I hope to one day follow your example! Thank you for sharing these pictures and well done in taking on this project! 

it is great to get so many kind words and moreover, hearing that so many of you get inspired! I will never reach the skill of making a Modular of my own, but using Original Lego sets to make something that also inspires AFOL's is a very big compliment to me!

13 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Super job! I'm working on an XL version of AS and your work/pictures have been frequently referenced for ideas and possibilities. Thanks!  I'm going to expand it to 32x64, a 16 stud increase over the original and a story or 2 taller. As pictured below, the increase of 6 studs on the blue building worked out very well. I've now got 10 studs left to "use" in the expansion of the other two buildings. A logical expansion of the dentist/baker would be multiples of 4 to encompass a row of windows and 2 stud wall. I'll probably go for a 4 stud expansion. That leave 6 studs of the florist shop. That works pretty good for one wall section with the arched window but you run into trouble once you get to the roof section that uses the 7-wide digger bucket. I could make the florist shop addition 7 studs longer and make the passageway between the buildings only three studs wide.  One solution could be to get rid of the buckets and copy the Parisian Cafe roof method. I think this is the method I will try. Any shots of the back of the building? I was wondering how you handled the outside stairways up the back. I was thinking about enclosing those stairs in some way.

32334313412_c3957e6bfc_z.jpgAS blue building street view 2 by Scott Roys, on Flickr  

Great to hear i've inspired you... and apparently you are working the same way i do... I Always build one Original set first... after that, i start modding it... When you build one set first, you better see how it is constructed and you also see the possibilities for expansions way better! I Always try to create the XL with the parts from only two or three sets, but sometimes you just have to bricklink some parts to get it perfect!!

I hope to see work from you very soon.. the picture is really very promising!!! Have fun building!

12 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Oh Wow. That's actually better looking than I thought it would be.

I love the expanded bakery. I don't mind the triple windows. It now looks more like a department than a bakery, but I actually like that a lot. A bit of competion for GE.

The middle bakery-shop still has no interior... i'm considering making something different of it.. maybe a clothing-shop or so.... we'll see....or a pop-up Lego-shop....;-)

5 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

Very nice, they look like big buildings as opposed to just a smaller building repeated several times. I also like the small florist between the larger ones. I do think it would look better if you made the middle florist taller as opposed to just repeating it on the other side; maybe increase the space between the sides.

Thanks for your inspiring remarks!  Creating space between the two bigger buildings is a bit of a problem..i already made the whole setting too wide... almost too wide to fit it into my Square-layout... ! I now have one florist left as a 16 wide stand alone, and i could put it anywhere... first i have to make space in the layout!!

5 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

OMG! The XXXL version looks so amazing. The extra 2 baked window displays make is seem like they could also be other small shops besides a bakery. Outstanding work. Cant wait to see what the AFOL part will look like with the open terrace. :wub_drool:

Now you pushed me into modding that floor too...:sweet:.... We'll see.. i'm almost running out of buildinginspiration.. after having put almost 12.000 bricks on eachother, i will leave the XXL MOD for a while and then start fine-tuning it...!

Yesterday i succeeded in creating extra space... i moved one side of the square to the left, and got a space of at least 80x192 studs.. The XXL Assembly Square measures 32 x 152 and when i put that on the left side of the square, i end up with a space of 4 baseplates 48x48... so now i have a new project.... finding a destination for those 9216 studs (4x48x48)....road....park....market???

But first i will fit the XXL Assembly Square in, after i have finished it!!  Here some pictures of the space i created!

32363197711_0767ee22f5.jpg 32106193290_dfc6cc0d4d_z.jpg

On ‎25‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 5:20 AM, BrickFit26 said:

Excited and can't wait to see the pictures of your XXL modular complete. Keep up the great builds. :thumbup:

Thanks! I hope i also get some inspiration what to do with the (now empty) space of 4 large 48x48 baseplates, as seen in the picture in the former post... The pizza-van will find its final destination there, and maybe some other things or little shops.. First i wanted a somewhat larger canal, but it is too hard to raise the surrounding area....Next thought was a market, or just a park.....Well, i've got time to think about that, and maybe some other EB'rs come up with some nice ideas?

I always wonder how you access the part of your square which is in the back. Do you have some hidden trap door or do you need to move everything to side?

14 minutes ago, peedeejay said:

I always wonder how you access the part of your square which is in the back. Do you have some hidden trap door or do you need to move everything to side?

There is a rail with cables hanging down in which i hang over the square, like the scene in Mission Impossible... now i have easy access... haha...Uhm..no.. there is no access... from one side i could reach the back pretty easy, but now that i'm expanding again, i need full width and there is no access anymore.. But, it is not very difficult to remove a few modulars including their baseplates.. and thén there is access....Not the most ideal situation, but there is no other way for me!!

Your AS XXL mod is quite nice, as well as your whole sqare, but I think that this is too much (in size)...same as your DO or blue buliding of PS. Just opinion :) But overall its nice work :)

Instantly I was going to ask how you get to the back also. But if you have no reason to get back there I guess it isn't a big deal in terms of play value. I keep my things accessible for the daughter to play with.

Also, are those fighter jets going to bomb everyone in the middle?? :)

19 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

Thanks! I hope i also get some inspiration what to do with the (now empty) space of 4 large 48x48 baseplates, as seen in the picture in the former post... The pizza-van will find its final destination there, and maybe some other things or little shops.. First i wanted a somewhat larger canal, but it is too hard to raise the surrounding area....Next thought was a market, or just a park.....Well, i've got time to think about that, and maybe some other EB'rs come up with some nice ideas?

You're welcome. I like the idea of having a larger canal. But a park just sounds amazing. Full of trees, a walking trail, plants, and flowers. That's what i felt the AS was missing, instead of the fountain i would have preferred a big tree. 

On ‎23‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 8:13 PM, ecmo47 said:

Super job! I'm working on an XL version of AS and your work/pictures have been frequently referenced for ideas and possibilities. Thanks!  I'm going to expand it to 32x64, a 16 stud increase over the original and a story or 2 taller. As pictured below, the increase of 6 studs on the blue building worked out very well. I've now got 10 studs left to "use" in the expansion of the other two buildings. A logical expansion of the dentist/baker would be multiples of 4 to encompass a row of windows and 2 stud wall. I'll probably go for a 4 stud expansion. That leave 6 studs of the florist shop. That works pretty good for one wall section with the arched window but you run into trouble once you get to the roof section that uses the 7-wide digger bucket. I could make the florist shop addition 7 studs longer and make the passageway between the buildings only three studs wide.  One solution could be to get rid of the buckets and copy the Parisian Cafe roof method. I think this is the method I will try. Any shots of the back of the building? I was wondering how you handled the outside stairways up the back. I was thinking about enclosing those stairs in some way.

32334313412_c3957e6bfc_z.jpgAS blue building street view 2 by Scott Roys, on Flickr  

I'll take some shots from the back later today!!

20 hours ago, bjorn77 said:

Your "square" is becoming very big. Perhaps it is time to convert it into a "park"? :)

The idea was to create something like a sub-square or road/park... so there won't be added another row of baseplates to the current square... it reached it's maximum size now!

18 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Your AS XXL mod is quite nice, as well as your whole sqare, but I think that this is too much (in size)...same as your DO or blue buliding of PS. Just opinion :) But overall its nice work :)

It's okay to say! But when i see the size of the square, the buildings do not appear to be too tall, or too wide... it is in a right scale.. Maybe some pictures disturb this perception that i get when i look at it for real!

17 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Instantly I was going to ask how you get to the back also. But if you have no reason to get back there I guess it isn't a big deal in terms of play value. I keep my things accessible for the daughter to play with.

Also, are those fighter jets going to bomb everyone in the middle?? :)

Near the Railway-side of the square, there is enough space to play.. both my sons, 4 and 7 years old, do play there, sometimes with some small thing out of my layout, but actually never in my square itself, as it is too complicated when trees tumble over or so... it is just too much work to redo that, again and again...

The fighters are just taking pictures....haha

8 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

You're welcome. I like the idea of having a larger canal. But a park just sounds amazing. Full of trees, a walking trail, plants, and flowers. That's what i felt the AS was missing, instead of the fountain i would have preferred a big tree. 

My latest idea was to have a row of trees and a some detail in the middle..and then a row of parking lots around that.......at last a tiled road that has a U-turn in the back of the layout!

On ‎23‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 8:13 PM, ecmo47 said:

Here a picture of the backside...31723408854_c0357f0ee5_z.jpg

Thanks! I've got my LDD work done and am looking over the parts list for anything not included in 2x10255. This is what the total model will look like. I've expanded the AFOL's apartment to three levels so they will have a proper bedroom and baby's room and a dedicated Lego room on the top floor.

31738599323_788e7462b3_n.jpgAS Deluxe front 1 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

32428098661_27c1a5b9fe_n.jpgAS Deluxe Back 2 by Scott Roys, on Flickr 

18 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Thanks! I've got my LDD work done and am looking over the parts list for anything not included in 2x10255. This is what the total model will look like. I've expanded the AFOL's apartment to three levels so they will have a proper bedroom and baby's room and a dedicated Lego room on the top floor.

31738599323_788e7462b3_n.jpgAS Deluxe front 1 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

32428098661_27c1a5b9fe_n.jpgAS Deluxe Back 2 by Scott Roys, on Flickr 

Those look great in two ways too!!  Yesterday i put my XXL version in the layout....and looking at size, it does not standout anymore...i was looking at XL Town Hall and got a strange feeling about the size now and then....... But as long as i am satisfied, it is okay! The florist is really a bit in the back...you should think of that when placing it in any layout...When you look at it sideways, it is almost covered by the other buildings...

4 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

Just finished watching your youtube video, and the video of your town. It's so cool. I've always wanted something like that.

When i was a kid, my parents gave me all they could and it was a lot, besides that, they gave me Lego and i was really happy with it, but i never got the flagships of trains and town-sets.... now that i am older, there is a way i can afford it and i must say i really enjoy it every single day! It gives me again something of my youth, that warm feeling my parents gave me too!  My parents are both 80 years old now, and sometimes i talk with them about those sundaymornings playing with my dad with Lego... mostly ending u with me building, and him searching for parts....!  But i have Always wanted something like this, especially with trains, but that is taking roo much space in my very moderate house/attic! I hope i still do the same within 20 years... but hope i have a dedicated Lego-room at that time!!

Here it is in my layout... 31761368453_41776f52be_k.jpg

Looks great in your layout!  I was kind of wondering if you were using your attic as I noticed the sloped ceiling.  Fortunately you do have enough space to have a nice town setting in there.  The next challenge will be where to put new modulars as they are released.  In my house, space is really limited, so I have to take apart a modular every year in order to make space for the next one.  Like you, the hope is that someday there will be a Lego room with enough space for all that stuff that is out in addition to what is disassembled in plastic bins right now.  

The supersized modulars look all excellent, as does the square.  I will bet that took a lot of bricks!

19 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

When i was a kid, my parents gave me all they could and it was a lot, besides that, they gave me Lego and i was really happy with it, but i never got the flagships of trains and town-sets.... now that i am older, there is a way i can afford it and i must say i really enjoy it every single day! It gives me again something of my youth, that warm feeling my parents gave me too!  My parents are both 80 years old now, and sometimes i talk with them about those sundaymornings playing with my dad with Lego... mostly ending u with me building, and him searching for parts....!  But i have Always wanted something like this, especially with trains, but that is taking roo much space in my very moderate house/attic! I hope i still do the same within 20 years... but hope i have a dedicated Lego-room at that time!!

I think you'll be building and making your town bigger for much longer than 20 years. My story i similar to yours. My parents bought me LEGO whenever they could because it is an expensive toy. I loved to collect LEGO Trains and Town sets. I just started collecting the modular series when i learned about it 6 years ago. It's a relaxing enjoyable passion. I hope i have a town like yours someday.

11 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

I think you'll be building and making your town bigger for much longer than 20 years. My story i similar to yours. My parents bought me LEGO whenever they could because it is an expensive toy. I loved to collect LEGO Trains and Town sets. I just started collecting the modular series when i learned about it 6 years ago. It's a relaxing enjoyable passion. I hope i have a town like yours someday.

A bit off topic, but i think this is very true for a lot of AFOLS amongst us...  Adults, trying to create the lego-dream of their childhood... and what is wrong with that.. how many do not buy the sportscar that they have always wanted....

And yes, it is a relaxing passion..... spending an evening whilst building and searching....time flies when you're having fun!!  Part of the fun for me is figuring out what to build next...or calculating/ordering the right amount of parts for it!

WOW!!! love the new buildings in your lay-out

- the flesh-colour looks great

Great Work

Greetings

14 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

A bit off topic, but i think this is very true for a lot of AFOLS amongst us...  Adults, trying to create the lego-dream of their childhood... and what is wrong with that.. how many do not buy the sportscar that they have always wanted....

And yes, it is a relaxing passion..... spending an evening whilst building and searching....time flies when you're having fun!!  Part of the fun for me is figuring out what to build next...or calculating/ordering the right amount of parts for it!

Can't wait to see more work you do with the modular.

On ‎31‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 4:55 AM, BrickFit26 said:

Can't wait to see more work you do with the modular.

Hopefully there will be more modulars in the future... !!   I also wonder if there are already other people here that have created a larger version or modification of the Lego 10255 Assembly Square...?