My fifth entry to the CCC XIV, for the ‘Pit of Despair’ category. The landscape was largely influenced by Dubbadgrim’s builds. The majority of this build was built in two days, as I wanted to take it to a LUG event. The castle features a working drawbridge, and a full interior in the tower. The doors of the prison carriage can open as well.

After some forestmen were captured by crusader knights, their compatriots hatched a clever plan to free them from the dungeon: disguise themselves as crusader knights, bring more ‘captured forestmen’ to the castle, and then break the others free! But will they be successful, and slip through the castle guard un-hindered? Or will their clever plan backfire?

Overview-2.jpg

R-b.jpg

d.jpg

cart2.jpg

Lots more pictures on Brickbuilt
Thanks for looking, C&C welcome!

Fun idea. I love classic castle builds. I'd like to do more myself.

The overall castle works quite well. I really like the wall stonework.

But tsk tsk on you for removing those hands to use the chains. Although it looks effective.

20 hours ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

Awesome John! The stonework on the tower really pops out, and it looks great! Keep it up!

Thanks, glad you like it :classic:

20 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Fun idea. I love classic castle builds. I'd like to do more myself.

The overall castle works quite well. I really like the wall stonework.

But tsk tsk on you for removing those hands to use the chains. Although it looks effective.

Thank you! Yes, the hands in the chains is quite effective. The one down side is that the hands don't slide quite all the way back in with the chains on, so they can fall out if shaken. :classic:

Very nice MOC. I like that carriage very much!

You definitely captured the Classic Castle feeling!

Edited by Lazer

On 1/22/2017 at 4:38 AM, Lazer said:

Very nice MOC. I like that carriage very much!

You definitely captured the Classic Castle feeling!

Thank you, Lazer :classic:

I really like your throwback builds, LittleJohn.  This building and the cart are built with modern pieces in modern colors and with modern techniques, but still convey that certain look and feel of the classic castle sets.

On 1/27/2017 at 0:16 PM, SerenityInFire said:

I really like your throwback builds, LittleJohn.  This building and the cart are built with modern pieces in modern colors and with modern techniques, but still convey that certain look and feel of the classic castle sets.

Glad you like them, they're quite fun to make :classic:

On 2/3/2017 at 8:04 PM, Mpyromaxos said:

I like the simplicity of it! It's like to see a classic castle from 90s! :sweet:

Thanks Mpyromaxos! Glad you think I captured the look of the classic sets :classic:

On 2/3/2017 at 11:45 PM, Criosphynx said:

I love it, and I'm stealing that chain idea. Bravo

Thank you!

On 2/6/2017 at 3:33 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Amazing castle!

The rocks and the stonework are beautiful ...I love the jail under the water level! :wub:

Thanks, the dungeon was a fun section to build :classic:

This is a beautiful build, LJ!

Classically inspired (and true in appearance), yet updated with modern techniques and details, you have included everything!  Removing the hands to add the chains around the wrists is an interesting technique!  The cracked and varied rock and smooth water make a great cutaway view for the scene.  The clean and simple appearance of the wall and tower are quite realistic, but you added plenty of details to avoid a plain, flat gray wall (particularly the coat of arms over the gate).  The working drawbridge is a great inclusion.  That prison wagon is a nice update to the Dungeon Hunters set!

On 2/14/2017 at 9:43 AM, Slegengr said:

This is a beautiful build, LJ!

Classically inspired (and true in appearance), yet updated with modern techniques and details, you have included everything!  Removing the hands to add the chains around the wrists is an interesting technique!  The cracked and varied rock and smooth water make a great cutaway view for the scene.  The clean and simple appearance of the wall and tower are quite realistic, but you added plenty of details to avoid a plain, flat gray wall (particularly the coat of arms over the gate).  The working drawbridge is a great inclusion.  That prison wagon is a nice update to the Dungeon Hunters set!

Thank you very much, Slegengr! Glad you like how the carriage turned out :classic:

It is always good to see a layout with old knights and forest men. I like your setup of your build and I also like the structure of your ground under the road. :classic:

On 2/25/2017 at 4:48 PM, Gunman said:

Clean, well calculated build :) Beautiful

Thanks Gunman, glad you like it :classic:

On 2/28/2017 at 2:06 AM, sander1992 said:

It is always good to see a layout with old knights and forest men. I like your setup of your build and I also like the structure of your ground under the road. :classic:

Thank you!

What a beautiful classic castle build :)
Loving it!!

Already spoted a few things I'll steal for my own builds :)

Edited by PeroTheLegoman