Murdoch17

OCTAN diesel refueling depot with Santa Fe Bluebonnet F7 units

32407070275_66b15d7ed7_z.jpg

Inspired by set 149 (Fuel Refinery) from 1976 as seen above (pic from BrickSet), this model takes the 4.5v era Shell refinery and turns it into a two-bay diesel locomotive / oil burning steam engine fuel depot for the modern PF age.

49024121038_ab7699e584_z.jpg

The new refueling depot model features two floors with removable roof sections, two track-bays for servicing locomotives, plus a 1950's style tanker truck inspired by set 8486 (Mack's team truck, which hasn't been built yet.) The Santa Fe Bluebonnet model proudly uses no stickers, only printed parts. It's road number (327) is of a real-world Santa Fe bluebonnet engine, one that no longer survives after it's eventual conversion to a CF7 and scrapping sometime later. Sadly, all the Santa Fe F-series diesels were converted to CF7's, (whole body shell stripped away for viability reasons) and boy, were they ugly. Not many of the CF7's survive today, if any.

49024847122_221662da32_z.jpg

As a side note, the locomotive bays are tall enough to let any official car through, including the double stacked container car from the  Maersk train.

49024637901_3003d2a97e_z.jpg

The upper floor of the depot features a control station for monitoring the flow of fuel from the tanks on the roof to the service bay, or from the as-yet-unbuilt tanker truck to the storage tanks.

49024847152_f90013e6b1_z.jpg

The roof of the facility comes off in two sections. The upper floor features a opening door to the tanks and staircase to the lower floor and the flow-monitoring systems. Emergency fuel shutoff valve and fire extinguisher are at the top level next to the door to the tank area. 

48822027143_91bae17a06_z.jpg

This is a heavily modified version of set 8486 (Mack's Team Truck) 1950's style semi truck, like the one seen in the 1970's Spielburg movie "Duel". This time, it's a tanker truck in the OCTAN colors scheme. The model can seat one mini figure at the wheel, and features opening doors, a removable roof and a detachable tanker trailer. The tanker section features a moving stand to keep the tank stable when the cab is not there.

48822391761_2a88717323_z.jpg

The trailer is supposed to feature this print on both left, right and rear sides of the tank where the white 1 x 4 tiles are.

49024637946_ef14746fd4_z.jpg

The idea for this bluebonnet came to me in 2014 when I came upon @raven1280's very similar model, as seen here. I didn't want to use stickers at that time like he did, so I waited, modifying and tweaking the design until the parts came out in the correct colors to warrant it's building. (Particularly the windscreen!)

49024847202_eac388e6bc_z.jpg

Inside of the cab unit.

49024638026_f26624ffc0_z.jpg

Inside of the booster unit, with cab unit connected on the left hand side of this locomotive. (Yes, I placed it backwards to what it should be!)

(NOTES: Real life model 98% done, just need the tanker truck built.)

As usual, Comments, Questions, Suggestions & Complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Looks great. There's way too few buildings like this available from Lego. I personally would have made it twice the length but it's still pretty cool :D 

Nice job. That truck is a lot like the one from the 10184 50 year aniversary set indeed but nevertheless very nice job.

9 minutes ago, McWaffel said:

Looks great. There's way too few buildings like this available from Lego. I personally would have made it twice the length but it's still pretty cool :D 

I just updated it to be a little more fancy with the roof and office color-scheme... What do you think?

Just now, JopieK said:

Nice job. That truck is a lot like the one from the 10184 50 year aniversary set. 

Thanks, It was inspired by it for sure.

2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I just updated it to be a little more fancy with the roof and office color-scheme... What do you think?

I think the little house would benefit a lot by some sort of ventilation or chimney or some kind of antennas/satellite dishes. Some more detail needed there. I do like the colors better now though

Slight BUMP:

On 1/19/2017 at 2:58 PM, McWaffel said:

I think the little house would benefit a lot by some sort of ventilation or chimney or some kind of antennas/satellite dishes. Some more detail needed there. I do like the colors better now though

Sorry for the late reply, but the model was just updated with a staircase from top level to the ground, along with a second bay for fuel storage.

35730201782_cf7dbb412b_z.jpg

Does this seem better to you guys? The first post has been updated with more pictures (and a new LDD file!) in case you want more angles.

Sorry for digging up this thread, but the tanker truck has been replaced with a semi-truck version inspired by set 8486 (Mack's team truck).

37944686755_d9995fe02e_z.jpg

This thread needed a face-lift at that point, so I re-uploaded the newer pictures to the main post, and changed the writing around quite a bit.

27059105869_26664b0580_z.jpg

I hope you enjoy the new stuff I put in, as this should become a real-world MOC by January 2018, a full year after the first post on this thread was created. :blush: Once again, sorry for the Frankenstein-bumps every six months.

Hi. I'm not sure, but in 1950s are semi-trailer trucks common to transport gas and oil? I seem, tank trucks in the 50s were 2- or 3- or 4-axle Trucks with a 2-axle trailer.

1 hour ago, MTM said:

Hi. I'm not sure, but in 1950s are semi-trailer trucks common to transport gas and oil? I seem, tank trucks in the 50s were 2- or 3- or 4-axle Trucks with a 2-axle trailer.

The inspiration for most of my truck's style was the truck from Steven Spielberg's debut movie "Duel". The truck used in that film is a 1955 Peterbilt 281/351, and looks like this (not my model!)

9210543539_dfb61d44fc_z.jpg

This model was made by Flickr user Karwik, as seen here.

BUMP:

It's taken me a couple years (2, actually) from start of design to this late stage of tweaking, but the main fuel depot model's parts were ordered on 9/30/19, and should be built in real life soon.

48822021378_32d8f8c755_z.jpg

However, the tanker truck (or something like it) will be a later addition.... I couldn't order It right now as I'm not too sold on it's looks. That portion may change by the time this is finally 100% done.

Any suggestions, questions, or comments about all this? i just updated the main post with new pictures of the final depot design and sort-of final truck model.

49024121038_ab7699e584_z.jpg

Model is built, pictures uploaded, text updated in the first post. Also added my Bluebonnet I've been teasing since August.

On 7/13/2017 at 1:57 PM, Murdoch17 said:

35730201782_cf7dbb412b_z.jpg

Have you built this truck in brick? Would love to see a 360 if you have!

20 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Have you built this truck in brick? Would love to see a 360 if you have!

Not yet, no. I'm leaning towards building that older one instead of the semi trailer-type shown in the first post. Way less expensive that way. I'll let you know when I do - as it will be added here, to the first post.