Sign in to follow this  
MagPiesRUs

Photo Review: Temple of Mount Everest 7417

indexed.gif

7417 - Temple of Mount Everest

First, an overall view:

DSCF2977.jpg

The Minifigs

The set comes with 4 minifigures, 2 of which are exclusive to this set. From left to right, Johnny Thunder (in winter clothing), Sangye Dorje, Lord Sinister (with pilot hat and tophat) and Ngan Pa.

DSCF2949.jpg

Sangye. I like this fig. He has a nice torso and face, and his hat is wonderful.

DSCF2951.jpg

Ngan Pa. This minifig is great too, with the mongol hat again and a nice face with a fu manchu moustache. Loving the torso too.

DSCF2952.jpg

The Biplane

This is one of the best biplanes TLC has produced. The colour scheme is very nice, looks nice and sleek, and unlike others, is very sturdy. The back is rather plain, and could do with some detail on the back wing, but it's a minor problem.

DSCF2953.jpg

DSCF2954.jpg

The Temple

The temple is full of playability, but lacks quite a bit of detail. The rooms in the Temple are very open, with no walls on most sides. That said, the roof is very nice. The orange and yellow looks really good on it, and like the dragon fortress roof, had a very Asian feel to it.

DSCF2979.jpg

The pathway to the bridge. It has two pairs of snowshoes for the adventurers, and a rather simple rock-type path. Nothing much more to say here...

DSCF2961.jpg

Once you've climbed up the small cliff, you can climb across the rickety bridge. I'm rather dissapointed it's just the <insert that tiresome argument> bridge piece, I would've much rather preferred something along the lines of the bridge from the KK2 set Border Ambush, but it's alright considering how cheap this set is.

DSCF2962.jpg

Then you're supposed to pull away a technic pin, making the bridge flip over, but it doesn't really work. I've removed the pin and now just turn it by hand :-/

DSCF2963.jpg

Once you've made it past the bridge, you come across the doors, which is wedged shut by a piece of wood. You must remove it to open the door. i love the wood piece, very realistic.

DSCF2964.jpg

Now that you're inside, it's time to take that diamond!

DSCF2965.jpg

... But not without having to go through the dangerous traps. By taking this lance off the handle piece..

DSCF2966.jpg

... Two axes will come swinging down at amazing speed. They are Fabuland axes, which I've always thought were great.

DSCF2967.jpg

Uh oh, Lord Sinister is about to take the diamond 8-� But wait, turn the round 2x2 piece below him...

DSCF2968.jpg

... And catapult him straight out of the temple!

DSCF2969.jpg

Now Johnny Thunder can finally take the diamond. Too bad what he was really after was the golden sword :-(

DSCF2971.jpg

We then go all the way down again, to a rock face..

DSCF2973.jpg

.. Which slides open, revealing the golden sword!

DSCF2974.jpg

Johnny Thunder is a happy chappy today *sweet*

DSCF2975.jpg

Overall, this is a good set, well worth the money. Though it is very open, this is more of a playset, and has exellent playability. That being said, it is still a very nice and interesting set to display.

Detail: 7.5

Playability: 10

Minifigs: 9

Build: 8

Price: 10

Overall: 8.5

This is one of the better sets of Orient Expedition, and I would strongly recommend this set to any adventurer lover.

I never got this set, and this review kindof makes me regret that, just like the huge temple set :-$

I see some nice components, nice golden sword, fabuland axes, white BURPs, Jonny's nice printed pocket pants.. etc.

Thanks for the review, I love reviews of even old sets, makes me look back at old themes *y*

;-) Id love to see even more reviews from you on this line, if you intend to do any more. Thanks so far :-$

Thanks for the review, and the fun story included within it! :-D As usual, I know this set from dragonator, it's a neat little set, and I love those Fabuland axes. *wub* Thanks again!

~Peace

Thanks for this review, it makes me even more proud then usual to be the owner of this lovely set.... ;-)

I like the fact that the plane fits two minifigs and that this set included those big Ninja-doors.

:-)

Thanks for making this fine review!

It's the first time I take a look at this set.

I think I'll have a look on eBay if I can find this one.

We're gonna have to make you an honorary Adventurer Pieman! You're single handedly reviving interest in the Orient Expedition line.

I wasn't the hugest fan of this set (it's not in the same universe as the Dragon Fortress), but there are very few useless parts, and a generous number of figs for a set this cost.

It's actually still not hard to find these days at an almost reasonable price on bricklink

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=1&q...10&searchSort=N

This was a great set, and for the price the best adventurer set in my humble opinion. Just about every piece is not just useable, but highly useful. Also four very nice figs, even with duplication, and a golden sword. I really enjoyed it at the time and it is probably the last set I left assembled for more than five minutes...

God Bless,

Nathan (cheers for the review!)

I love this set! It was my first and almost only orient expedition set. I got this one and the Tygurah's roar, whis is a fun little playset. I'm glad to see that there are still people who care for posting up Johnny Thunder reviews. Who knows? Maybe I'll post up a review of the Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins when I rebuild it in 3 weeks ( I'm having a special shelf made to display all of my Legos in my new house, it even has a sliding table that I can just pull out whenever I want to build/Moc/Play. So I'mma have to wait a while to rebuild all my sets because currently, I have nowhere to out them.) Great review by the wAY! :-)

Excellent review of an outstanding set. Great images! I really enjoyed building this and always wanted to do a pic review. I love the Orient Expedition sets. This set had some great figs, an awesome plane (always loved the color combination), and the bridge is super.

Outstanding review - thanks for sharing; although I disagree with your ratings. I think they should be higher, esp. the figs. They deserve a 10 with the sherpas).

It's actually still not hard to find these days at an almost reasonable price on bricklink

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=1&q...10&searchSort=N

Indeed, I got this set MISB for roughly $35US *sweet*

Outstanding review - thanks for sharing; although I disagree with your ratings. I think they should be higher, esp. the figs. They deserve a 10 with the sherpas).

Hmm, you're probably right. I was being a bit harsh at the time. I've changed the rating a bit. This set is by far the best Adventurers set in terms of traps, and has some great minifigs and pieces. *y*

Edited by TinyPiesRUs

I always wished I could get this set. thanks so much for reviewing it.

Did you get the cards and board game to with the set, or just the bricks and things?

I always wished I could get this set. thanks so much for reviewing it.

Did you get the cards and board game to with the set, or just the bricks and things?

Oh yeah, I forgot about them :-$ Yes, I do have them. I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

Hmm, you're probably right. I was being a bit harsh at the time. I've changed the rating a bit. This set is by far the best Adventurers set in terms of traps, and has some great minifigs and pieces. *y*

Much better!

My ex bought this... got her hooked onto lego. It's a great set with loads of character, what I found really cool about the Oriental Expedition series including this set was the board game lego were adding to the sets. This also highlighted the use of minifigs as board pieces which they are perfect for in size.

nice review.

This was my first big set after my dark ages and I loved the building, the traps and also the <insert that tiresome argument> bridge (it actually reminds me of the first big pirate island and I not saw it as a <insert that tiresome argument> piece, I didn't liked some pieces which replaced 2 or 3 2x2normal bricks on eachother).

Strange that hte face of the guard of the indian temple was later so much used, but not the face of Ngan pa and Sangjee. They are very nice.

Pics of the board game:

DSCF3157.jpg

Cards:

DSCF3158.jpg

Board. It is made up of 5 jigsaw-type pieces that you can fit on different ways to have a different game each time:

DSCF3159.jpg

The map of the temple:

DSCF3160.jpg

The wooden board *wub*:

DSCF3162.jpg

I like this set. Nice figures. Decent structure. Fun plane. Lots of nice new accessories. White burps (icebergs, anyone?).

Steve